Help

Special Education

Who is your teacher advocate?

>

leslier

Who is your teacher advocate?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have situations that are out of my control, such as a student w/o an IEP I am expected to serve full time, and overall more minutes committed by IEP's than I can fill per day on my caseload. Who do you go to? Our Principal is great but admits he has no power. My SPED Coord. clearly works for the district to keep us from being sued, not for the teachers. I feel without support.
Who is your go to?

leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Do you have a union?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have a union, talk with your building representative. If you don't, call the state board of Ed and file a complaint. That is drastic and may not turn out the way you want, but your voice will be heard.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-22-2015, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Usually I go to other sped teachers for support, but of course they don't have the power to actually change policy or anything like that. It is sometimes helpful just to talk to others who understand and sometimes we can problem solve things together. We have talked about having a union rep that is specifically for sped because we feel that our union currently doesn't do a good job of helping with sped issues. I think this is partly because the union leaders are all gen ed teachers and they have little sympathy for us (they think we already have it easier than them b/c we have fewer students and/or small groups rather than a whole class) and partly because people get so afraid to do anything about sped if they don't have background knowledge in sped law.

I would worry about the backlash of going to the state, especially if you're probationary. If you do go that route, make sure you have documented every little thing about how you tried to resolve the situation of not meeting minutes (or whatever else). Have things in writing (such as through e-mail) and print them out and keep them at home. Sadly, I think most districts would not hesitate to throw the sped teacher under the bus if they were in some sort of trouble and/or retaliate if the sped teacher got them in trouble. We cannot report anonymously in my state. Even if you can, I think by nature of most complaints they'd be able to figure out pretty quickly who it was that reported them. Might be worth the risk if you have tenure, but otherwise I'd be very worried in it resulting in losing your job.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our district sped coordinator is the one who would provide support, although they were clearly under the sped director's thumb and so couldn't completely be trusted. They were somewhat helpful and tried to give us support, but they of course always had legal issues forefront in their mind.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote