Help

Special Education

Homework

>

DeDee76

Homework
Old 09-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a self-contained teacher at a high school. I have a new 10th grader this year with really demanding parents. We have been in school for barely a month and I have had almost daily complaints from mom/dad. Sometimes they address them with me but usually they just go to my principal.
They have requested that I send homework every day. I understand their desire to help him progress. Having homework also helps him be like his siblings. I have been sending work that reflects his IEP goals and is like what we are doing in class. I am sure it is different from junior high but it is a new setting. I recently asked his former teacher for help and she was rude and not very helpful.
I want to help this kid but I feel that I am wasting time and resources (paper, copy toner, etc.) preparing work that he (or more likely his mom) doesn't even complete. I wonder if these parents have told their other kid's teachers what kind of homework to assign, probably. Any suggestions on how I can respectfully ask these parents to back off?

DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

Homework
Old 09-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Could you send some supplemental work home that would not be required, but for use if he finishes his work before his siblings? I appreciate that maybe parents think that because he is behind, he should work harder than the others. Could you give him a long term and appropriate project that he could present to the class for extra credit? I find that is it usually better to hear the parents and give a little. Unless they are really pushy (bring in admin.), it's their child. That's just my opinion.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherk

Homework options
Old 09-27-2015, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had parents demand homework for a poor baby that really needed to be working on life skills at home. I made a calendar for each month with a homework assignment for each night like, "Practice counting to 10" or "Write your name 3 times" or "Find 5 red things in your house." I then attached 10-15 worksheets and sent it home for the month. It took a lot less time/energy/paper and the packet was due back at the end of the month, so no daily checking homework for me. Your guy might not be that low, but you get the idea.
As for the parents backing off, hopefully this will happen as parents see that you care about their child and are doing a great job. If the former teacher was rude and unhelpful to you, imagine how she was to this kid or parents. Many over the top parents have had bad experiences. They walk in assuming you are just as incompetent as some previous teacher. If you can prove you are awesome, they might start to back off. You might need to go over and above to show how much you are listening.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love heather's idea- I was thinking something similar. I wouldn't send home paperwork necessarily for homework, I would send home tasks that can be done in context. It would be better for application of skills, too. For example, organizing and sorting something at home, if he has goals along that line. Math that connects with shopping or household budgets, if he has those types of goals.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

DeDee76

paper and pen only
Old 09-28-2015, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These parents are visual learners. They have no faith in me or my teaching style. Also, they must have stock in Xerox or Papermill because they want copies of every activity we do on a daily basis. I don't do a lot of worksheets with my students so pleasing them is an uphill challenge. Mom came in today without an appointment and stood in the doorway while I was teaching. I didn't stop teaching and my aide talked to her. She came in with her cell phone and started taking pictures of her son's( I hope that was all) data collection worksheets. Of course my principal always sides with parents and keeps telling me that I need to let them take advantage of the situation.

DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm so sorry your P is not supportive! Ugh! Any chance you can talk to his former teacher (from wherever he came from) to see what types of homework she/he assigned last year (and maybe any tips for dealing with parents)? The picture-taking is bothersome- how do you know she wasn't snapping pictures of other students' charts or work? I would think that wouldn't be allowed, somehow.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote