Help

Substitute Teachers

How To Respond to Corrections from Students

>

roygbiv

How To Respond to Corrections from Students
Old 11-07-2015, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One of the biggest challenges as a substitute is not knowing all of the school norms and lingo. I know that students are trying to help when they correct me ("It's not the QUIET seat; it's the SAFE seat!") but sometimes their tone is...a little sassy...and sometimes the teacher has left different instructions than they expect ("We're SUPPOSED to work on our cars today!")

However, I'm not about to engage in a power struggle with a 1st-grader in front of the whole class. I often try to gently remind them, "I do things differently than Ms/Mr ____, but that's okay!"

Does anybody have suggestions for responding to these corrections from young students in a reassuring but authoritative way?

roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

I've only been subbing for a few months, but
Old 11-07-2015, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have one second grade class that I've been in several times. It is in my old building, so I immediately reminded the children the first time I was in the room that I knew the building, I knew the principal, and I knew the whole building rules. I followed the teacher's lesson plans, but the students would say, "Mrs. Teacher lets us (fill in the blank) when we are done with the work." I now have them sit at their desks and read to them what the teacher has put in the plan. I then tell them that if it's not on the plan they cannot do it. That has been an immense help to me and to the students. We get a lot more done and they aren't all over the place. I also did remind them that I am the sub and I will do and say things differently than Mrs. Teacher because we are different people.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
artladyhere
Old 11-07-2015, 08:35 AM
This message has been deleted by artladyhere. Reason: wrong post

Oncidium

Old 11-07-2015, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do something similar. I say that when a teacher has a substitute, the day is different, and I tell them what is on the "plan" that I have. They really do get on your case when you do not do one step or other. It can be a power struggle.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-07-2015, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Pretty much the same as everyone else. I have also resorted to reading from the plan aloud to the class, it usually shuts them down right away. I find it to be a problem in 1st grade, they just seem to have something to say about everything I do.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

I tell them when there's a discrepancy
Old 11-07-2015, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"This is what it says specifically on my plans your teacher left me. I do not want to go against these plans."

I then do a vote (show of hands) and ask if this is the "correct routine." Usually the majority will be honest. On occasion some kids will lie, but for the most part with enough prying you can get the truth out of them what the correct routine is. If the entire class lies they're basically shooting themselves in the foot.

Be sure to document this if you're a day to day sub and aren't able to contact the teacher.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

britt00110011

Old 11-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I say "thank you for reminding me" and go on with what I'm doing.

If the teacher has left specific instructions to do it differently that day then tell them that. "your teacher asked that we do it this way today."
britt00110011 is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

Old 11-07-2015, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just say"Good to know!" And move on. I have used that many times and it seems to acknowledge the comment. As a regular teacher I would cover other classes. Sometimes a student would go on and on and on. My response was, "Good to know." It seemed to do the trick.
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

roygbiv

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the great suggestions, everybody! I'm going to try the "Good to know" line. I will also try to be more proactive about going over the teacher's plan for the day and explaining that things will be a little different than usual with me in the room.
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote

oddduck

Old 11-08-2015, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, I like that "Good to know" line too. Thanks.
If it something like you mention in your original post, I have usually just responded with "Thank you for telling me." They usually take pride in helping at that age.
oddduck is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

Here's how I do it...
Old 11-09-2015, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If I do need to make the change they suggest I simply thank them. If I decide to go ahead and do it my way I say thank you for telling me but we will go ahead and keep doing x.

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

I thank students for pointing things out
Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also like to acknowledge that it is likely different and that can make the day harder for them because it isn't what we are used to or expecting. Then if some are still struggling I might discuss with them how it is a good opportunity to practice things like being flexible one on one.
Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote