Help

ARCHIVE

Test prep ideas

>

Love_2_Teach

Test prep ideas
Old 01-12-2008, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you prepare your students for state tests? I am getting ready for our state tests and am looking for ideas to help improve and get them ready for such a long test. Thanks

Love_2_Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lucinda

Test Prep Idea
Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try this site:
http://teacherszine.tripod.com/teacherszine/id14.html
Texas "TAAS Attack" Daily Upkeeps. Grades 2 - 5. Hope this helps.
Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Love3rdGrade

each week
Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We practice a little bit each week. We made copies of example tests from the state and then work on them. We do a lot of extended response practicing and I have samples on the overhead that we decide how good or what needs to be fixed to improve them. They like to see things that can be improved.
I also discuss reasons behind the tests, attitude during the testing, and my confidence in them.
We have about 8 weeks before they take them and I know it will be here before I know it.
Good luck.
Love3rdGrade is offline   Reply With Quote

BelleBelle

Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Since it is their first time taking a state standardized test I prepare my students daily before reading with a focus lesson. We will focus each week on a topic such as main idea, compare/contrast, sequence, problem/solution, inferencing, etc. I also try to incorporate at least 1 day a week on a context clues focus lesson. During comprehension focus lessons we also use highlighters (or any light colored marker/crayon) to highlight bolded words, underlined words, text structures, etc. Also, I require (kinda demanding but helps) the students to always read the questions first before reading passages. We also use QAR strategies and have the students highlight "right there" answers in passages basically pointing out the correct answer. Sorry this is so alllll over the place but I am trying to think of everything that is done. Hope it helps a bit.
BelleBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2share

We just...
Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

took the third grade ELA state tests. Before the tests we did some practice tests. For each questions we discussed if it was a right there (answer in the story) or inferencing question. I also had them pretend they were detectives and while reading the passages and questions they had to always provide proof. For each question they had to go back to the story and underline where the proof was. Then they would right P1 (proof question one) so on.... We underlined key words and went over what they meant. I also did review on Fact and Opinion. Another strategy that I read on this site was to remind the kids that the questions usually go in the order of the story. So if question 2's answer was found in the thrid paragraph... the students can start from there for the answer to question 3. Does this make sense???? If not, just ask, I will clarify more!

luv2share is offline   Reply With Quote

3rdgrade

Pennsylvania test strategy
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In PA we can't write in the test booklets so my students can't use the strategy of crossing out answers that don't make sense, but you CAN use WICKIE STICKS. We cut these so they are smaller and give each student three. I already began using these in my class, so the kids use them as tools! Helps alot!
3rdgrade is offline   Reply With Quote