Fourth Grade

Math Books

>

hilkiah

Math Books
Old 03-13-2016, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Math Text Books (4th & 5th)

Our district will be adopting either Envision 2.0 or My Math. Please share your thoughts on what you like or dislike about each one of these. I like My Math. Yes, I know all math books have their strengths and weekneses, please share.

hilkiah is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

My Math
Old 03-13-2016, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We've been using My Math for a couple years now and it's okay. I like the daily review and problem solving on the online component. But, we didn't think the assessments were rigorous enough so we wrote new assessments.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Math series
Old 03-18-2016, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use the enVision series. This is my first year with it, although I did use sample materials for two years prior to the purchase of the series. I do like the online section, Visual Learning, that helps to explain the lesson. The whole series could be better...

The first year of incorporation of this series is difficult because it assumes the students have prior knowledge of the skills being used. The pacing is quick with one day per lesson. I often need to supplement because they do not have the foundation to pick up the skill quickly.

There is an online site that has assignments for the kids. They work on problem solving which can be challenging. I try to use this on Fridays as support and practice. (Seeing as how Pearson makes the PARCC test, I thought this would be okay. The online practice might be similar since Pearson also makes the PARCC test.)

Good luck! I truly feel that there is no perfect series out there. Every district is different with their own needs. I try to do the best with what I have.
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

hilkiah

EnVision
Old 03-19-2016, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

After doing more research I've discovered that EnVision lacks focus on foundational math skills, it's too abstract, and not practical for learning.

Rigor is not always best. Forming a strong mathematical foundation is better than going fast or thinking deeper. Those ideas are really great if the foundata on is there.

Let 8th through 12 grades do the deep thinking. Foundation is the key to building a strong math ability.

Last edited by hilkiah; 03-19-2016 at 05:30 PM..
hilkiah is offline   Reply With Quote