Help

Future Teachers

Freshmen Questions

>

Runewolf

Freshmen Questions
Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, even though I am only a freshmen in college studying elementary education, I am 25 so I am wondering if there is there any job that I could work while in school. That will help me progress a bit faster and earn some experience?

Runewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Old 07-25-2016, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

During the summer I was a playground director and planned events and games for the kids that came to the park. My roommate worked during the school year at the campus daycare/school.
brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 07-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my state, you could be a substitute teacher. (experience qualifications vary by state). That would allow you to work when you are not having classes, and also get real life school experience. Although subs are basically filler "babysitters" you get lots of experience running classrooms, and with classroom managements. You learn to think on your feet, and you work with all grade levels. Tutoring at a community college is another paying job that will give you experience with one-on-one teaching and assessing students who need extra help with subjects.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

Runewolf

Interesting
Old 07-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did not know that substitute teachers did not require a license to sub. I will have to look into that for my state.
Runewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 08-02-2016, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In this state, we have a substitute license, which is different than a full teaching license. I do know of some states where you need to be a retired teacher, or have a teaching license. You could also potentially work as an EA if your classes were at night, or online. My college classes usually start at 5:30 pm, and the college I go to is designed for working people, and people who have jobs already.

Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

After school programs and day camps!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My state requires a BA to sub, so that wouldn't work here.

I worked in after school programs during the year and day camps during the summer all through college. It was GREAT experience. It gave me so much more confidence and helped me develop skills I needed for teaching. I also just loved it. You could start with looking into Boys and Girls Club and YMCA. My state (CA) has lots of after school programs in low income schools, some run by the district and some by outside agencies. Maybe look into districts near you and see what they have.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

Katydid_123

Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

With my work load I have a hard time finding time to work during the school year. But their is always a great need for college students during the summer. Their are many daycares and summer camps ( day and sleep away) that need help during the summer and being a future teacher is a bones.
Katydid_123 is offline   Reply With Quote