Help

Third Grade

Chatty Child

>

AAWW18

Chatty Child
Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work with a student that is very distracting in the classroom. He is very smart and can independently do his work when he focuses. He often gets distracted and distracts others from doing their work. How can I keep him on task?

AAWW18 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-27-2016, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have 4 currently sitting on their own. One right next to me and one facing a wall (which apparently is a great conversationalist ). Some kids just can't sit in groups.

I tap their desks to get the back on track. Proximity really is one of the best classroom management tools.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Elmsprings

Blurt Alert
Old 09-28-2016, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you read Lacy Walker, the Nonstop Talker---or The Interrupting Chicken?? Both are really good about talking/ blurting out. Also, My Mouth is A Volcano. I love the Interrupting Chicken---after I share the book, I tell them that we can't have any chickens in our classroom, only Cougars (our class mascot). I have cutouts of chickens from the story----if someone interrupts, I lay a chicken on his/ her desk. If they get 3, they must change a card---which leads to certain consequences. Another year, I had a little sweetie that talked constantly!!!!! He needed meds!!!! I made him keep a tally chart for every time he blurted out. I would just put up a finger, and he knew the signal. This didn't solve the problem cometely, but it did help him realize that it was a problem...and he did gain a little more self control than he had in the beginning. It was also very helpful to show his parents----I don't think they really got it until they saw all the tally marks!!!!!!! Good luck!!! I find that no matter how good a method begins, it always wears off and loses its power---so, I'm constantly looking and trying new ideas.
Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

Chatty class
Old 10-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a very chatty class this year--which is frustrating because I was still stopping and waiting when I was interrupted 3 weeks into the school year.
So last week, I decided to switch gears and change things up. I started a positive reinforcement program where kids earn beads for positive classroom behaviour.

The idea is that they need to collect 10 beads by the end of the week to participate in a half hour of fun activities. We made a list of positive classroom behaviours and then I gave each child a pipe cleaner to add the beads to.

I made a big deal of handing out tri-beads whenever someone did something positive. (ex"Wow-Susie kept trying to focus even though the students around her were talking--great example of positive classroom behaviour." Or.. "Johnny raised his hand and waited--" positive classroom behaviour!)

It really made a difference this week. Kids were focussed and trying to do anything they could to earn a bead. The activity time was fun and rewarding for all. A great way to end the week. Sure hope it is a lasting system!
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote