multiplication

>

mathblues

mathblues

multiplication
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all fellow third grade teachers,
Do your students have their times tables memorized yet? We are still working on it and I believe I'm where I was at about this time last year. But for some reason, the P is on me for the fact that they haven't memorized all facts yet?

ConnieWI

My District
Old 12-03-2016, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district, multiplication facts do not need to be memorized until the end of the school year.

Division facts need to be memorized by the end of fourth grade.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 12-03-2016, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are working on it. I am a firm believer that they need to know all the facts. There are always students who don't study them. I give daily quizzes and they have ten seconds to write and answer. If they do poorly, I send a letter home with flash cards for the parents to help. i was receiving too many complaints from the fourth grade teachers stating the kids don't know their facts. I know there are students that have difficulty. I teach all the tricks and strategies to help, but the bottom line is they need to know the facts.they will know them by winter break.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I expect them to know their multiplication facts by the end of the year. We just finished our chapter learning how to multiply by using equal groups, arrays and skip counting. We will be moving on to other topics, one of their math tasks each day is to work on multiplication facts, and they are required to work on them for homework.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Br3

No...
Old 12-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and I don't expect them to. I prefer for them to understand what multiplication means, and how to use anchor facts (x5, x2, x10) to support learning harder facts. Some students are amazing memorizers, but have no clue what to do with the information, some of my brightest and top math students take longer to memorize and retain facts, but they can problems solve like adults. There is actually research that shows daily timed testing can be detrimental to retention of facts, and hands on experiences and use of language will support long term retention and deeper understanding and application.

Luckily my district understands that multiplication isn't the only things kids are learning and if they have a strong understanding of the content area, with most facts memorized they are happy.

Mrs. Br3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Old 12-03-2016, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am also spending time teaching the strategy of breaking apart a factor into easier facts and using the distributive property to solve. This has been very helpful for most students. They have come a long way since September with their facts. They have a Do Now of multiplication problems every day when they come to class. I am now adding division problems to it.
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

multiplication
Old 12-03-2016, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

By the end of December, I might have half my class have their multiplication facts mastered, but I think it's unrealistic to expect everyone to have them mastered this early in the school year.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Trevortiger

multiplication facts activity
Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I took over for another teacher who used an ice cream activity (I think it is from TPT). Basically, the kids all get a "placemat" (glue onto construction paper) and then earn their napkin, cone, and several scoops of ice cream (plus a cherry and a spoon to get all the way to the 12 times table). Every day, everyone takes a timed test (also ice cream-themed). Those who pass, add a sticker to their chart (my aide grades daily quiz and adds the stickers to their chart) and get to glue their cone or ice cream scoop onto their ice cream cone). Those who don't pass put the quiz into their mailbox to take home and study (we also made flashcards and sent them home) for the next day. Currently, everyone has passed their 3's and one of my students is on her 11's - with everyone else in between. They all take the test they are on at the same time. This only takes about 5 minutes every day and I continue with our regular math lesson plans after that. Today we did their unit math test first and then did the timed quiz after everyone was done, and we still had time to play multiplication and division math games in pairs. I assume I will be doing this with them until the end of the year - those who get them all done get increasingly challenging mixed math (mixed times tables, then 2-digit multiplication, division facts, mixed multiplication and division). We are also learning math songs to memorize the skip counting, and the kids are getting good at reciting their skip counting in songs, but it doesn't seem to help with the automaticity and speed they need for the timed tests.
Trevortiger is offline   Reply With Quote