Help

Third Grade

Fractions

>

teachgrade3

Fractions
Old 01-07-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any good ideas of fractions? I will start with splitting shapes and each part where do you go next?

teachgrade3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MollyDogsMom

Marilyn burns
Old 01-07-2017, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love how Marilyn Burns teaches fractions. Her "cover up" game is hugely helpful. The discussions combined with student created fraction pieces is very powerful. I also have students use the pieces to create numberline so they see how the spaces on the numberline have value (many students really just see the tick marks only with no connection to the value between ). Google her if you haven't heard of her...she's been around for many years.
MollyDogsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ren

Old 01-08-2017, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did fractions on a number line.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote

Elmsprings

Fractions...
Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I begin with cutting shapes into equal parts--defining and discussing the vocab: denominator, numerator, partition, etc. Then, we shade and name unit fractions o a whole....then we move to a set. We do activities using individual bags of skittles or M&M's. I then teach some lessons about fractions that equal more than one, equal one, and less than one----which leads us to the number line. We spend lots of time plotting and identifying fractions on a number line.
Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Relationship to Fractions
Old 01-08-2017, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is very important that students have a relationship to fractions.

Students who have siblings will understand fractions better than students who have no siblings because the former shares with siblings often (six cookies, three children in the family, each child gets two cookies) vs. (an only child who gets all six cookies).

Have students get up out of their seats and put themselves into groups. Students taking hot lunch vs. cold lunch...write the fractions. Students with no siblings, one sibling, two siblings, etc....write the fractions. Students who like reading class better than math class...write the fractions. The denominator will be the number of students in the class. When a student is absent, the denominator will change!

Fractions can be read in two ways. 1. one half 2. one out of two

Kids do not cook today like they did in the past. Students need to have active learning using water/sand and measuring cups. How many half cups to make a whole cup? How many third cups to make a whole cup (or even two whole cups)? How many tablespoons to make a half cup?

If you go to www.mathwire.com, I believe the site has fraction cards and other fraction ideas.

Kids need to compare fractions (greater than, less than, equal to) by drawing pictures (example: draw one-half and three-fourths and compare them; draw one third and one fourth and compare them; draw two thirds and three fourths and compare them). Students will discover equivalent fractions this way.

Please do not use the algorithm!!

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

Fractions
Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

An activity I use every year for fractions of a set is:

1. Put students in groups.
2. Give each group a piece of large construction paper (or whatever you have).
3. Give each group some stickers - I just use the cheapest ones I can get my hands on. The only catch is they can't all be the same.
4. Have them put the stickers in various groupings on the paper.
5. They have to describe their groupings with fractions. For instance, if they have star stickers of various colors, they could say 1/5 of the stars are green.
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

Fractions
Old 01-14-2017, 10:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great ideas from all previous posters!

I always start my fractions unit with smartie fractions. I have the kids bring a box of smarties from their Halloween stash and I save them until we start the unit. We separate the colours and then make fractions.

As a pp said, I also use real life examples--number of vowels in their name, number of girls in the class, number of people who have pets etc.
I also like to use a baking project if it works--monster cookies, or individual pizzas that show 1/2 pepperoni, 3/4 cheese etc.

I ask students to bring a model of a fraction to share--usually 3/4. Some of the ideas are very creative--ex. 3/4 of a lego statue is red. One year a student sewed a pillow with 3/4 of the material one colour. Everyone has to share which means sometimes they pull out 3 markers and a pencil from their desk--3/4 are markers--which is okay too as they get the concept.

I always bring in a bouquet of flowers for my desk which is multi-coloured. They need to figure out the fraction of each colour from the bouquet.

The applications are endless. I'm looking forward to hearing more ideas!
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

fractions of me
Old 01-14-2017, 10:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I forgot one of the best ideas that I have used from PT for fractions....it is using "The Fractions of Me' poem. We fold a paper in quarters and then students choose four main parts...athlete, brother, artist, reader etc. They label the paper and use it as the body. Add a face and arms and legs that include attributes of the details (ex. reader would hold a book, athlete would have skates) Then they write a poem that includes the details. At interview time parents guess which model is their child. Lots of fun.
I'm pretty sure the template is on PT, if not, let me know and I will attach it.
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote