Is this idea too babyish for fourth grade? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Is this idea too babyish for fourth grade?

>

Lady Teacher

Is this idea too babyish for fourth grade?
Old 09-02-2017, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I'm going to be teaching 4th grade for the first time. I've always taught 3rd with a couple years of fifth grade. Yesterday, I was getting my room ready when one of my alphabet cards fell between the wall and the white board. There is no way to get it. It's the letter X. My friend, who teaches kindergarten, gave me this book as a joke since the letter X goes missing.

https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/...y-audrey-wood/

I was thinking of reading this book on the first day and then having my students do some writing to try and come up with a solution to get our letter X. I know we won't get it back, but I thought it would give me a writing assessment on the first day that will give me a chance to see handwriting, sentence and grammatical structure as well as how students problem solve. What do you think? Is this too babyish for this grade level? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Lady Teacher; 09-02-2017 at 05:47 AM..
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

X
Old 09-02-2017, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love your idea! I've taught fourth for a long time. They love a fun and unique read aloud. They also enjoy a mystery. I say go for it
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

EMO109

Fun idea
Old 09-02-2017, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

4th graders love read alouds of all types of books, so I'm sure they will enjoy it. I like the you tie it into a writing assignment, which gives the book purpose beyond just enjoying a book and will keep the kids from thinking it's too babyish.
EMO109 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 09-02-2017, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love it! No, definitely not too babyish. It's a good way to assess writing and creativity, and they'll love something that's fun.

I'd give them the heads-up before you read the book, that they're going to do some mystery writing after the story. That way they'll focus on the story and not the level of it (which may happen with a few kids who like to whine about anything).

Cute idea!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Rm. 802

I teach 4th
Old 09-05-2017, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

they will love it. I too lost something behind the bulletin board. The teacher down the hall would steal things to see if we noticed. Blamed him forever. One day I got to fishing w a yard stick and loosed the screws and it fell out. Good luck!!

Rm. 802 is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

I think it is a great idea!
Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I became a reading coach for grades 3-5 last year and brought a read aloud to read to the kids to introduce myself. I was worried that 5th graders would think a picture book was too babyish but they were very respectful and receptive. When I came in this year with another picture book a lot of the kids said something about how they were excited to see me and that I was going to read to them again.

Kids are still kids, and I think because they act older we treat them older. I think assessing their writing through a fun activity is clever and the kids will really respond to it!
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
KatrynG
Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 PM
This message has been deleted by KatrynG. Reason: duplicate

KatrynG

Awesome Lesson
Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When time permits, I read a story to all the students I sub for. Generally, it's a picture book with a desired outcome I want the students to learn.

I've discussed Letters to a Soldier by Lieutenant David Falvey to 5th graders who were reading about pen pals in their writing assignment. I've read Lily and the Mixed Up Letters by Deborah Hodge to 1st through 4th graders in preparation for talking about enjoying reading and non-bullying.

And on Friday I had 4th graders sitting on the edge of their seats listening to part of anthology, The Random House Book of Humor For Children, that had an excerpt from The Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing! (There aren't many pictures to each story, so students concentrate on listening and watching the reader's gestures).

I love your idea to include a mystery to think about, a story to tell, and a writing assignment to tie it all together. I think your students will love it, too!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote