The VENT

What I really wanted to say to a parent today

>

steacher123

steacher123

What I really wanted to say to a parent today
Old 10-30-2018, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

"Hey so I'm letting you know flat out I'm doing a lot of heavy lifting. I know it's not easy, but your daughter has serious memory recall and retention issues and she needs to do more memorization drilling than others if she wants to pass. I know you don't have time or energy, but this is the only way...you need to make sure she is drilling her cards...the girl is a bit dumb... Ok maybe not dumb, but test taking dumb and it's a dumb f#%@% system. But we are stuck in it, and if you want any hope of her getting past it as soon as possible she needs to drill, and she needs someone to read her sh*t out loud too...I can't hold her hand forever, and oneday I won't be here maybe or she will move on to highschool, and I'm concerned she will fall down.
There is just so much I can do, and I need to make sure she is doing her part and not depending on me too much...this is what I really want to say, but I can't so I'm sugar coating it. You are not offering me much feedback at all so maybe going out of my way to even make this call was a waste of time. Thank you and have a nice day."

Kyteachmath

What I really wanted to say to a parent
Old 10-31-2018, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"Your child is not struggling in my class. He keeps a high C/low B. He is exhausted when he comes in. He plays in multiple sports leagues at the same time. He plays basketball, football, and soccer. He has practice everyday afterschool. He has difficulty focusing in class and is a little on the mean side. I'm also sure that it doesn't help that he has missed 10 days of school so far this year."
Kyteachmath is online now   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

jumping on the bandwagon
Old 10-31-2018, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"Ma'am, it's great that you care so much about your kids' success. But you may stop telling me how to give homework since you've already found the resources you want to use. I don't walk into your exam room and advise you on how to treat your patients because I respect your professional expertise as a doctor."
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Old 10-31-2018, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you are so unhappy with us expecting your granddaughter to behave and follow rules like the other children then take her out of our school. Perhaps there is a school out there okay with no rules and chaos. If she is so special and above everyone else put her in a special school or teach her yourself! I donít want her or you in my class ever again!!!
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-01-2018, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can I add on with a slant? What I said to the counselor during an impromptu conversation with a new parent: "No, actually, the other kids don't look up to him and he is not leading them in a bad direction. The rest of the kids seem to have a good moral compass and they don't like him at all because he's mean to them and causes problems in class. Far from following him in misbehaving, they are shunning him and have asked to be moved away from him and for him not to play with them at recess because he's mean. I'm worried that your child has only been at our school for two weeks and has already alienated all of his classmates so he doesn't have any friends."
Please don't sugar coat a child's bad behavior and how the other kids are reacting to it, especially if you haven't seen him in class or talked to me about it. He may have POTENTIAL to be a leader but right now he's acting like such an a** that the other kids don't like him and don't want to be near him. He's actually made my very worst kid better because he's standing up to him and telling him not to be an a** to the other kids.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Mine
Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No, your child is not stupid. He is actually pretty average. If you would stop telling him he is stupid, he would do much better in school.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

CurlieGirl

It would be like...
Old 11-02-2018, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"I would have an easier time believing you when you say you would do anything to help your child learn and be successful at school if you hadn't pulled him out for a week to go hunting and 2 weeks to go on vacation over the past 6 weeks."
CurlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Kishkumen

Old 11-07-2018, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"I don't know you run your home, but here at school we actually have rules."

"I'm sorry you're annoyed with my phone call. I'm sure you're missing your favorite sitcom right now!"

"No, I'm not going to work extra hard to make take-home work so Susie can go on vacation for a week."

"No, I'm not going to stay after school so Billy can make up work he chose not to do. He chose that D that keeps him from playing ball, so he can choose to work hard and raise that average back up. I'm not going to work harder just so Billy can avoid consequences."

"Yes, I'm interrupting you at work! Your child interrupts MY work!"
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote