Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I love watching house flipper shows

>

anonymouse

I love watching house flipper shows
Old 07-25-2019, 03:06 AM

I love house flipper shows. I love old houses. If you gave me a choice between a brand new home and 200 year old house, I would choose the 200 year old house. I love watching a really disgusting old house being brought back to life. In fact, the more disgusting the house is at the beginning of the show, the more I enjoy the transformation. I love when they bring back original details, like fireplaces and original wood floors that have been hidden for years. I love how they can see something in a house no one else sees and I love when they stage the house at the end.

anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-25-2019, 04:58 AM

Me, too! Not only do I love those shows, I’ve learned so much—and used it!

1. First I inherited my parents old small house (far from me). Because I also inherited their low property taxes, I decided it was a good investment to keep the house. I had to clean it out and get it ready to rent. I knew there was hardwood under the carpet, so I had it extended into the “new” room and refinished. I let the property manager I hired pick colors. I also let the property manager use his sources to update 1 of the bathrooms, paint, etc. I was lucky I could afford to do these things then because they really paid off in the rent I get. I imagine someday I’ll have to do the original old 60’s kitchen, but neither of the renters has complained about it. (My kids will also inherit the low property taxes. I don’t advise them much, but I’ve told them to keep that house. )

2. Then I had to get my big house ready to sell. This was the beautiful house my family and I had lived in for 27 years. It was 3 years old when we bought it, had a fabulous floor plan, and needed serious updating. My realtor suggested a stager who suggested improvements before staging. Again, I was lucky I had the money from the rental to do the work, because the house sold quickly with multiple offers way over asking price.

3. Then I moved to my condo because I love the view, but it was, as you say, “really disgusting.” Renovating (which included gutting the kitchen and 1 bathroom) and decorating hasn’t always been fun, but I love the almost-final outcome.

Soon I just want to enjoy the fruits of my labors for a while. Thanks for helping me think through my renovating history.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

stella.ivey

houses
Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 AM

I follow a facegroup called "For the love of old houses." Group members send in real estate listings of old houses that have been restored and are now for sale. It's so fun to click through the listings. It's amazing how much your money can get in some parts of the country, and how little your dollars buy in other parts!
stella.ivey is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-25-2019, 06:14 AM

I also enjoy watching them from time to time but I don't understand how people can afford a million-dollar house that still needs $200,000 worth of work! And I know those prices sometimes are for something not much bigger than a ranch near San Francisco!

Around me an incredibly nice top of the line house with a fabulous view would go for around 500k-600k and your typical house would go for 200 to 300k.

I always wonder what those people's payments must be like or what do they do for work? Are their mortgages 75 years long haha? What would happen if they ever lost their job?
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-25-2019, 06:42 AM

twinmom, some lucky people can afford those homes because of mommy & daddy or an inheritance, but many of us in CA, those of us who fend for ourselves, start out small, remodel, sell for a profit...then repeat. I did hear a San Francisco news real estate guy explain another method: some people start in a suburb far from their goal and, as their income and equity increase, move closer to the goal (this doesnít work for ordinary folks like me because the value of the house doesnít increase remarkably in the not-so-good locations). I know this is weird, but a million dollars wonít get you much in many areas of CA. IMO the trick is to get your foot into the housing market, and once youíve done that itís easier to start moving up.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Me too! Make over shows are so fun!
Old 07-25-2019, 07:08 AM

I love seeing all the designer's ideas. Old house, new house, makes no difference to me it is just the design that matters to me. Then I enjoy watching the transformation. Nate and Jeremiah By Design is one of my favorites shows.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I enjoy the
Old 07-25-2019, 07:18 AM

ideas the designers have. It helps me to think outside of the box more.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

House flippers
Old 07-25-2019, 07:31 AM

My favorite was Rehab Addict with Nicole Curtis. She revived old, often vandalized homes in Detroit. I liked how she tried to keep as many original fixtures as possible. Taught me not everything needs to be brand new or updated.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 AM

Iím sure youíre shocked, but I have HGTV on my TV 24/7 😂

Keltikmom- I love Rehab Addict!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Reno
Old 07-25-2019, 10:27 AM

I am living in my own make over show. We are redoing our maste suite by taking over a bedroom. We have built the closet and all of the builtins, laundry room is in the master closet. The bathroom is roughed in. This week is a complete remodel of our bedroom while the boys are at camp. We are sleeping in one of their rooms and all of our furniture is in the other room. This week we have ripped all of the pine boards off the ceiling, installed sheetrock over the whole room, installed a pocket door to the bathroom, textured all the walls and ceiling, painted the ceiling. Tonight we are painting the walls, Friday installing the wood floor, Saturday installing baseboards and crown molding and moving back in. The boys come home Saturday. Sunday connecting the wiring, Monday the hot tub is being delivered. I think we have earned it this week.

angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

House flipper shows have ruined my life!
Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 AM

House filpper shows have ruined my life! I love to watch the cool new designs and want my home to look just like a flipped home.

I've been looking for a home on one level but as I page through the available homes all I see are homes that need tons of work. I don't want to do that work again. I want a perfect home. Maybe the Property Brothers would come to my home town and help me out. All I want is new, lovely, and perfect. Is that too much to ask?
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 AM

Wow Angelajw- thatís super ambitious in that time frame! Good luck 😀 you enjoy that hot tub!

Please post pics! Iím obsessed with home photos!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-25-2019, 01:05 PM

Angela, we live parallel lives!

We just finished installing new flooring + baseboards in the kids' rooms and moved all our HEAVY cherry furniture out to paint and floor our 2 room master suite.

We are collecting quotes to run power and pour cement for a hot tub.

We are hiring out kitchen cabs+counters.

Only 10 days left!

So long as my bedroom is done before school starts, I can cope. As is, we are probably pitching a tent in the backyard until we finish our room
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Old 07-25-2019, 06:15 PM

@UVAgrl I have been taking pics along the way but I'm not sure how to post them.

@Zia that is too funny how similar our projects are. Monday we had concrete poured. Oh my what a job finishing it was. Oh and add in that we had a swarm of angry bees hanging around too so I had to keep a camp fire going. My hubby is pretty handy so this weekend he will be running the electrical lines. Thankfully our box had a spot for the line.

Zia

Old 07-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Angela, that IS fortunate! We are having the whole box upgraded. And oh no about the bees;that makes a PITA job downright miserable. I need to sift and move 485859494 metric ton of lava rock before the cement contractors can get in. It's a billion degrees and my back hurts!

Best luck to both of us!! It'll totally be worth it in October, soaking in a private hot tub!

MAsped

Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 PM

There's going to be a new show with Scott Disick (father of Kourtney Kardashian's kids) called Flip It Like Disick. Are you going to watch?

https://www.eonline.com/shows/flip_i...ick-supertease
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Hot tub
Old 07-25-2019, 07:47 PM

Zia they can't even drive around to deliver the concrete or the hit tub. We live in the country and the ground is very sandy. The concrete was poured into our tractor bucket and driven around back. The hot tub will be on a lift trailer that again will be pulled around back by our tractor. They will set it up though.

But our view!!!

Zia

angela
Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 PM

I have no clue how they will pour...but not my problem to solve.

Our house faces east-west, so the hot tub will have a sunset view. I. Cannot. Wait.