Help

The VENT

Usps

>

lisa53

Usps
Old 12-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so irritated with our local poorly run Post Office. Today my mail was not delivered. I’m not expecting anything important, but I know there were items to be delivered. I had a letter to go out, and it is still in the mailbox with the flag up.

In all my (fairly long) life, I have never experienced a post office that did not deliver the mail daily (except Sundays). About once a week they miss a delivery here. And I have heard lots of complaints from townsfolk about packages being late or not delivered, too. The office also seem disorganized and understaffed.

What the heck is going on here? Has anyone else had an experience like this? What, if anything, can be done?

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-12-2019, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would contact a postal inspector. I think thereís a hotline or number you can call. Theyíll investigate.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Start with your carrier
Old 12-12-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My DH worked for the usps for 30 years, so I know an inspector is called for serious matters, not sporadic deliveries. It would be for something like theft.

There could be many reasons. They may be redoing the routes and thereís nobody assigned as a regular. It could be you donít have mail every day- they happens more and more with so many things being done online.

First I would ask your letter carrier, if you have a regular person. Next would be to talk to their supervisor. After that would be the postmaster.

Also, when a package is given to the PO from another carrier, it is marked as delivered, when itís only delivered to the PO and not to your home. It happened to me a couple of times just last week with amazon.

Hope you get your answers soon!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Riverside

Old 12-12-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our mail was just delivered at about 6pm today. It's been delivered after 5pm for quite some time. But....it is always delivered.
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

If you want...
Old 12-12-2019, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

you can sign up online to get an email every day that you are going to get mail. We get an email every day, except for days that we have nothing coming, with pictures of most pieces of mail, and then a notice that tells us whether we will be getting any packages. Remember, now that Amazon is a factor, delivering every day can be grueling.

BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The area I lived in right out of college was like this. It was a very small town and there was just no sense of urgency for anything. I would literally get mail up to ten days later than I should have gotten it. Everyone just knew to tell people to send things early, and order early if you were ordering yourself something . The other super frustrating aspect was that since it was in the middle of nowhere, you basically had to shop online for anything that wasn't groceries.

Then when I moved to the "big city" my mail was always getting screwed up because of my apartment. Packages wouldn't get delivered because I was kind of in a "hidden basement." The building was on a hill and when you walked in the front door, it looked like you were on the ground level but you really weren't. So packages would get sent back saying the address was wrong.

I definitely haven't had the best luck with mail! Luckily my new location seems okay. I was just breathing a sigh of relief because a bunch of gifts I ordered for Christmas came today. I'm just waiting on one package from Amazon that says it's coming tomorrow. I have another one that was thankfully only things for me, but had holiday stuff in it and by the time it gets here will be a moot point . Fedex has apparently seen fit to bounce it around every city for 4-5 days before moving on to the next closest city to do the exact same thing.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-12-2019, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

BayAreaSub, I get those daily emails, which is why I know I should have had mail today...and besides, the flag is up to signify a letter to go out. This sort of thing happens about once a week and has been going on for months.

I doubt the postmaster will be helpful...she is a bit of a flake.

amiga13

Old 12-13-2019, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

lisa, I know this one because we had terrible service where I used to live. This course of action will require a little internet hunting and perseverance from you, but for me it was totally worth it. Go to the USPS site and file a complaint. They take them very seriously. They come down on your local Postmaster and expect improvement.

My experience: I also had daily delivery notifications. Sometimes the mail didn’t arrive or arrived at 8:00 pm. The final straw was when packages I was supposed to receive were “misdirected” (that’s their term for delivering my mail to someone else) and I had to help track them down. I filed a formal complaint and got tons of action, including 2 calls from “corporate.” I also got a request from the new Postmaster to let him know about any problems before I filed online. It really works. Good luck!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 12-13-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Even though I live within city limits, our street is considered a rural route with the mailboxes out by the end of the driveways. I think rural routes experience more issues with the p.o. just this summer within a 2 week period I had two packages delivered that did not belong to us. Received a piece of mail that was not ours. Returned it to the actual p.o. Two days later it was back in my mailbox. I am still a check writer. My new checks were delivered to someone 2 streets away. I am grateful they were honest and brought them to my house. Each time I have contacted the p.o. they say it was probably a substitute. Our mail often ends up in a neighbors mailbox. Canít win.
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 12-13-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Just a reminder about placing mail with the flag up for the letter carrier...itís also notifying potential thieves. Perhaps this doesnít matter in rural areas?

KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

KetchupChips, itís just a letter to a friend. Pretty disappointing to thieves...

On the other hand, it doesnít appear to be of interest to the post office either. No delivery or pick up again today.

KetchupChips

Old 12-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Oh good! Although how frustrating not to have your letter picked up. How nice of you to send a letter! Itís always nice to get mail (thatís not bills)! Enjoy the weekend Lisa!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Blame the substitute
Old 12-15-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My local post office always blames things on the substitute mail carrier. Last time they told me that I said do you know what I do? Iím a substitute teacher. Turns out the guy behind the counter used to be a school bus driver.

What Iíve done is to bypass the post office and get my bills delivered electronically; some come right to my checking account while others send an email, the rent and car payments are pulled out of my checking account.

I also pay all my bills online as well; beats the hours long process of writing checks, putting on postage, and taking to the post office to mail.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

OrganizedPup

Old 12-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I havenít been happy with them lately either. Hereís my story...

Back around Thanksgiving (the Friday prior) our mailbox pole apparently rotted, broke and fell over which then broke the box as well. We live in an HOA and couldnít replace with just any pole so we had our mail held until a new mailbox and pole could be installed (Wed before Thanksgiving). In the process of doing that I also signed up for informed delivery. After the hold I had all mail delivered. For the next couple weeks some days I would get mail, some days I wouldnít, even though I knew there was supposed to be mail. Last Saturday I heard the postal worker go past my house so I went to check the mail, since I knew there should be some. Low and behold, nothing. That would make 2 days in a row. I was frustrated so I waited until the postal worker drove back down the other side of my street and confronted him about why we werenít getting our mail. He gave us some BS about our mail being on hold and wasnít sure when the end date was but then reached in his truck to give me that dayís mail. I told him we had informed delivery and weíd be contacting the postmaster (again) on Monday. First thing Monday morning my DH called the postmaster and explained the situation. Guess what happened when I got home from work and got the mail? ALL of our missing mail was delivered. Ever since then weíve gotten each dayís expected mail.
OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote