Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Please don't post about me or my family

>

frecklejuice

Please don't post about me or my family
Old 02-18-2020, 03:27 PM

I am so aggravated. I'm not a Facebook person. I have an account but never post anything. I can't even log in. I no longer have the email I used to set it up and haven't bothered to do anything about it. It drives me crazy for people to post about me or tag me or my family.

My DH is currently on a mission trip in a country that is not very welcoming to Christians. The man who is the leader of this group and is a native of the country has been thrown in jail numerous times. His own family doesn't live in that country because it's so dangerous. They live in the States. The group was advised not to post about the trip on social media at all.

Well, my Mom just called me and said our pastor mentioned DH's trip on Facebook. I had to call him and ask him to take the post down. I felt bad, but we've not said much about it to anyone. Our pastor was at a funeral for DH's uncle last night and I guess someone mentioned it to him. I guess he felt compelled to post on Facebook for everyone to pray for DH cause he's on a mission trip in __.

Ugh! I like to keep my life private.

frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Fb safety
Old 02-18-2020, 03:40 PM

That is very frustrating. I post very general information that I want to share. Dh does not do social media at all. He is retired military and for the safety of everyone I donít mention his name on line. It made me mad and fearful recently when a friend bragged about her brother deploying. Named him and his unit. A week later two soldiers were Kia. And she posted the tarmac service. Not everything needs to be shared with the whole world.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Not posting on Facebook...
Old 02-18-2020, 04:10 PM

When my cousin had her 60th birthday party at a nice restaurant local to her, she asked that no one post pictures on Facebook. I honored her wishes, and I hope her other guests did, too.

I enjoy Facebook personally, but am very careful with what I put up there.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-18-2020, 04:14 PM

Your pastor should know better It's common practice to not mention missionaries in sensitive areas or to only refer to them in very broad geographic terms.
Sorry you have to deal with it.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

I really do love my pastor.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:26 PM

I probably sounded harsh, but I'm worried about DH's safety. Our pastor was very apologetic and I know he would never want to do anything to put DH in harm's way.

I'm just a little on edge.

But seriously, people shouldn't post about others without their permission.

Teach 5

Fb
Old 02-18-2020, 05:20 PM

Youíre right. People should not post about others without their permission.

Side questions:
Why would your DH go on a mission trip to a country that is not welcoming to Christians? Why canít people have their own religion?
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 02-18-2020, 07:16 PM

I'm glad your pastor realized his mistake and removed the post. People often post without thinking. One thing I've really noticed lately is that people also take pictures without asking for permission. That one bothers me. Just ask for permission, people.

Regarding going to an unwelcoming country, I can't answer for the OP, but my thoughts are that going on a mission trip to a country that is not welcoming to Christians certainly isn't going to prevent the people of that country from having their own religion. Her husband's mission trip group isn't likely to force people to convert.

Many Christian organizations send teams to numerous countries to provide relief and assistance to people who need it.

In the Bible, Jesus said to spread the Gospel to the ends of the earth, which includes this unnamed country. If a person doesn't place any importance on the Bible, then s/he wouldn't care about this commission, but a Christian would carry out that commission.

If I had to view it from a secular perspective, I would think we should encourage that country to be more accepting of people who believe differently than they do. It's not okay for them to commit bodily harm to Christians simply because Christians are not part of their religion. I think people from most religions or none at all can agree that tolerating someone's existence is better than trying to extinguish their lives.

Last edited by bGracie; 02-18-2020 at 07:44 PM..
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 02-18-2020, 07:24 PM

Just another perspective, as well:
Many people live in countries where their government forbids religious freedom and live in oppression. Many of the people in that country truly want to follow the Christian faith. Missionaries often support them in this.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

People certainly can have their own religion
Old 02-19-2020, 04:13 AM

but when children are living in the streets like animals, he feels compelled to help. The purpose of his trip is not necessarily to convert people to Christianity, it's to help these children.

Teach 5

Thanks
Old 02-19-2020, 06:24 AM

Thank you to all that replied to my side question. I thought the trips were just to convert people that already had an established religion. Itís nice to know that they are just going to try and help other human beings.

Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote