Can I vent my frustrations for a minute? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Can I vent my frustrations for a minute?

>

OrganizedPup

Can I vent my frustrations for a minute?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work at a K-12 charter school so itís just us, no district to rely on. I am considered our IT person, among other things.

We have had several weeks where it was real low key for teachers - review only material. Elementary posted review only materials, middle school did nothing and half of the high school teachers carried on teaching new material and giving grades while the other half did nothing.

Today we started new material. Today is the day that those who have done nothing decided to do Google Classroom, Zoom or Google Meet and then were frustrated because they donít know how any of it works.

Where did common sense go? Why are they not practicing with platforms beforehand? Why are teachers afraid to learn new things yet thatís exactly what we expect of our students?

I have been emailing panicked teachers and have been on the phone with teachers and parents since 7:00 am.

I know everyone is exhausted and doing the best they can, including me, but I am one person. I canít always reply the moment you email me. I also know that issues arise, and I donít have a problem with that. I have a problem with people waiting until the day of to try using the platforms youíre asking your students to get on.

OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think all of your points are absolutely valid. Good luck to you as an expert dealing with those who are just now figuring out what is required of them.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 04-01-2020, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Let me say THANK YOU to all the school Tech people. Our Tech person has been working tirelessly during this and has help us set up amazing
things for our students. You are some of the unsung heroes of the schools, so THANK YOU!!
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-01-2020, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím also going to add when distance learning started 3-4 weeks ago all the experts (Kasey Bell, etc) said do NOT introduce things you havenít done in class. So, if you havenít used Seesaw, now isnít the time to start. If you havenít used Nearpod, donít start now.

I know some is inevitable, but Iím reading about teachers introducing 3-6 new platforms and I just want to scream. Are they insane? Thatís a great way to frustrate everyone: parents, kids and themselves.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-01-2020, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ditto, Greyhound Girl!

Our staff meeting this week was on Nearpod! Are you serious?!?!?!? You are going to teach us something NEW, 1 week in, when we and parents are already overwhelmed?!?!?

It ticks me off that they (admin) don't ask teachers what we need nor use staff meeting time to address OUR concerns.

Of course, they tell us, "You don't have to use this...". Then why present it? Why waste our time??

I flat out refuse to put anything "new" onto parents' and students' backs right now.

Vent over.

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Goodness, I was just going to come on and say what GG and eliza4one came to suggest. Early on, we were discussing things we were going to do (so far we'e been told only to do review material and I think I've done a decent job but DD's teachers are hit and miss). Another teacher was like "I'm going to x,y and z" (substitute fanciest technology). I was like no, not doing that, because I've never used it in class.
I like how eliza phrased it: "I flat out refuse to put anything "new" on parents and students' backs right now." I hadn't thought of that but obviously all sorts of challenges.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-01-2020, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you GG and Cruxian. It feels good to have my feelings validated.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-01-2020, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My new district has a district sign in for teachers. Itís a google form and we have to fill it out every morning. The last question is asking if thereís anything we need to make our job easier. I canít tell you how much I appreciate it.

Theyíre not putting anything new on our plates, asking us to do anything new or try anything new. I just really appreciate it.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote