Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

So...can you or can't you??

>

eagles23

So...can you or can't you??
Old 04-28-2020, 11:07 AM

We decided we needed a break and went to a drive-thru to pick up lunch. At the window, the cashier was wearing his gloves and a mask. He told my DH the total and when DH tried to hand him his debit card, the cashier said he couldn't touch that and offered the card-reading machine for my husband to insert the card. The cashier then pulled the machine back in the window, processed the payment, pulled out the card, and handed my husband the card and the receipt. I'm pretty sure the machine didn't magically clean the card while it was processing the payment, so I am not sure why it was ok to touch it after and not before. I would bet he didn't change his gloves after we left either. What ridiculous 'safety' measures that fell short have you witnessed?

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-28-2020, 11:12 AM

I only go out to walk, so I donít know, but I have to tell you that your well-written description of your experience made me howl.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-28-2020, 11:17 AM

The gloves thing is the worst. I wish people would stop wearing them and just wash their hands. At my drive thru I saw the cashier adjust her shirt, scratch her neck and fill the soda cups all with gloved hands. There is no way to keep gloves from being cross contaminated unless you're in a medical setting and changing them after every interaction. It's just a false sense of security.

(I wipe my card with hand sanitizer after every transaction--not sure what that's doing to my magnetic strip )
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 04-28-2020, 11:17 AM

That makes no sense. Do your cards not have tap? I canít remember the last time I actually had to insert a card. Itís been several years.

I saw a cashier at the grocery store, wearing gloves, use hand sanitizer on her gloves in between customers.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Safety Measures
Old 04-28-2020, 11:21 AM

The one that is killing me is people wearing a mask over their mouth only. Why bother?

Two weeks ago I was at Aldis. The cashier was wearing plastics gloves. They were filthy! Gross! I definitely wiped all of my groceries down that day.

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

inserting the card
Old 04-28-2020, 12:30 PM

I'm wondering if the cashier couldn't touch and insert the card not for sanitary reasons but for power over the transaction. Does it make any sense? No.

I have never "tapped" my card. I don't think that is an option anywhere near where I live. The card is always inserted.
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-28-2020, 12:51 PM

Like Pooh Bear said, the gloves!!! They are not magical, people!!

I've said that since long before covid. Food workers wearing gloves is one of my top peeves. It is actually far more unsanitary because people don't wash their hands or change their gloves appropriately.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 04-28-2020, 01:29 PM

When I worked in the business world we once had a woman in the lunchroom who went to the restroom wearing the gloves and coming back to hand out lunch. Sometimes I wonder what are people thinking
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 04-28-2020, 02:17 PM

MIL ordered us liquid gloves. Itís a lotion that is supposed to protect your hands like gloves for like 4 hours. We got two tubes. They are still in the plastic wrapping because I donít see the point. I donít wear gloves out. I avoid touching my face, try to touch as little as possible, sanitize, then wash my hands as soon as I can.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 04-28-2020, 02:53 PM

I agree with the gloves issue (and posted about it a few weeks ago). Gromit is right—people act like they’re magical, that just by wearing them nothing is transmitted. Just as there is a right procedure for wearing and removing a face covering, there is a correct way to use gloves.

CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 04-28-2020, 04:15 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a man at the grocery store wearing gloves but not a mask. I don't know where he'd been before he picked up Every Single plastic box of grapes and peered closely at it breathing into the air around it. Hey, fella, the box has holes in it. I wanted grapes but not enough to get them after this guy had been there.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-28-2020, 04:31 PM

I haven't witnessed this, but on the news a few days ago, they showed on hidden cameras in certain grocery stores how during closing hours when customers aren't in the stores that employees don't wear gloves, blow their noses or scratch their noses then continue stocking food, etc. So all the mask-wearing, etc. is just for appearances. We would like to hope they keep doing the right thing when we're not watching, but I'm afraid not always or maybe not at all.

That's all the more reason I take the extra time to rinse off/wipe food items down when I bring groceries home.

They need to set up hidden cameras all over and fine employees who do this.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Miss Trace
Old 04-28-2020, 04:57 PM

Where did you get the liquid gloves? That sounds like an interesting idea.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-28-2020, 10:15 PM

I saw something I wonít even share. It hasnít even been two weeks yet so I may still get it and die. Letís hope not.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote