Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Drive-By Baby Shower

>

3monkeys

Drive-By Baby Shower
Old 05-28-2020, 05:42 AM

My DD is due with our first grandchild at the beginning of July. Because of COVID, her work shower was canceled (she's a teacher). A friend was supposed to give her a shower, but the friend is hesitating because of COVID, too.

I've decided to throw a "drive-by" shower at our house so we can celebrate baby. Has anyone done something similar? Any suggestions? TIA!

3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

nickelbackfan

I haven’t
Old 05-28-2020, 05:48 AM

But I would maybe have the people bring the gifts and then stand far away from her while she opens.

Another friend is doing hers through zoom. We send the gifts to her and she opens them during the zoom meeting. Not ideal, but safer.
nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-28-2020, 05:54 AM

I love the idea of a drive by shower. Go for it! It would be great to see faces of friends, family, and co workers coming by. You could offer them the option of shipping gifts to the house, and maybe doing a zoom opening of gifts or playing games for people who couldn’t drive by.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 05-28-2020, 06:09 AM

We have the same situation in our family. I'll be following.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-28-2020, 06:10 AM

I love the idea of a drive-by shower, but I’m biased because I hate shower games and I find it excruciating to sit still to watch presents being opened.

I watched a drive-by birthday party from my window. It was fabulous. They’d set up 1 table to receive gifts (she did not open them then) and, about 10’ away, another table with help-yourself birthday cake and treat bags. People got out of their cars to deliver gifts and get food & treats, always masked and social distancing. The birthday girl stood in the open garage waving happily.

Have fun!

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

anabel12

drive by
Old 05-28-2020, 07:34 AM

I saw a drive by bridal shower on Facebook. No one was staying far enough apart. The bride went up to cars, took gifts, and I think I saw her hug someone through the window. I like Amiga"s idea of a gift table when people can drop off gifts, then a cake or favor table where they "guests" can pick up a treat, and then drive off. The mother to be can sit far enough away to be safe, but can still talk and wave. Everything on video, of course. Hope it works out!
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 05-28-2020, 09:08 AM

I think a drive by shower is perfect!
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas K-Girl

Old 05-28-2020, 09:56 AM

My friends granddaughter had one on Sat. They had a backdrop behind the seated parents To be all decorated. They had a gift table all set up and decorated. They handed out decorated cookies and the little baggies of pink/white popcorn that had cards that said, “??? Is about to POP” as the cars drove through.
They did not open the gifts.
My friend said it was extremely hot out that day. I would think miserable for a mom to be for sure. I personally would rather do a zoom and watch them open gifts.
Texas K-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 05-28-2020, 12:25 PM

I love the idea of a drive-by shower where I could drive by, drop a gift off, wave (or not) to the mom/bride to be and leave. I don't need cake and I don't need to see her open gifts. And like amiga13, I hate (nope, loathe with ever fibre of my being) shower games and I find opening gifts to be excruciatingly dull. Really, the only thing I want from a shower is a thank you note to acknowledge receipt of the gift.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 05-28-2020, 03:18 PM

My niece will be given a drive-by shower on 6/6. As I understand it she will be at her sister's house and people can drive by with a gift and give their congratulations. They have water ice/soft pretzels as favors. She will not be opening her gifts as people come by. I think they will be videoing her opening the gifts and posting.

I know her original shower was going to be at the Knights of Columbus, but of course that was cancelled. I'm glad we still have a chance to celebrate little Alfalfa [that's what I call her bump].

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-28-2020, 04:29 PM

I love the idea of the drive by shower! She can't be too cautious especially since she's pregnant!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissN

Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 PM

I'm going to one this weekend. I'm curious what it will be like! I don't enjoy showers, so this is right up my alley.
MissN is offline   Reply With Quote

momabaarjo

Old 05-29-2020, 09:25 AM

We had a FB baby shower. We started a group and invited everyone in the group. Shared the wish list information and the mother to be's address. Everyone shipped the gifts to her and each time she received a gift she made a video and posted it in the group while she was opening it.
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-29-2020, 11:19 AM

My daughter set one up for today for a friend. I got up super early to help make some banners and decorate flower jars made with large mason jars ,netting and ribbon. We also made table signs for what each table was for out of small white painting canvasses and embellished with ribbon. The table signs were : Drinks,Gift Table,Thank You and Food.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote