Help

The VENT

Frustrated

>

teach123

Frustrated
Old 06-02-2020, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have been out of the school building since the middle of March. We've in a rural area with limited internet access for students and teachers. We tried online learning for April and May and it didn't go well. As soon as that wrapped up, we had one day to pack up kids' things, close out our room, and do cum folders. We were constantly reminded to social distance and stay out of other rooms even though teachers had to pass student belongings back to the homeroom teacher. Since that, we have been required to complete a bunch of new online trainings. My problem is no one has given us one list to go by. We get emails from about 5 different people, some are optional, some are required, and all are linked to a third party email account so I cant keep up. We have to be Google certified by the start of school. I am fine with that but am not starting until july when I can count recertufication points again. We had to sign up for a digital platform from the state that appears to be a lesson database for students. Helpful, but doesnt address my students from what I have seen. I completed the first webinar, there are two more to go. Last night, I found out we also have to complete the workshop for this program online and a four week module. I didn't know about the workshop and module. I can do the workshop but the registration has passed for the module. On top of all that, I get a call last night from my principal asking why I didn't come to the in person training for a data program. I explained I had a death in the family and since daycares are closed I was going to do the online training at a later date. She then proceeds to tell me technology needs me to come in and untangle chromebooks cords. When I closed out my room, they were zip tied to the cart. Not sure how to untangle that Not to mention, we have been told we cant come to school. If it is stuff we want to do we can't, but admin can ask us to come in and do piddly little things. I think I am upset because I am on break. The last three months have been very difficult and covid cases in our county are still rising. We are still under phase 1 openings from the governor. Are other school divisions piling work on? We are not under contract and still waiting on contracts for next year at this point. Sorry to ramble but I feel like I am about to be very ugly with the people in charge if something doesnt change.

teach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 06-02-2020, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have a union?
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

I'd be stressed and unhappy too!
Old 06-02-2020, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That sounds like a mess! Maybe you could ask a coworker to compile a list of all required trainings, etc. and you do the same, then you compare them? You could even send it as an email to the rest of the staff, slightly passive-aggressively pointing out that a comprehensive list wasn't provided by the school in the first place. Don't even get me started on the fact that you are being asked to work between contracts! We either get paid to do so or choose to do so in my district but we cannot be made to do anything during the summer.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Frustrated
Old 06-02-2020, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This sounds like all kinds of wrong and everyone out for themselves. In calmer times, who would be coordinating all of this? Your P or your Superintendent?

I would definitely send aN email to P and copy the whole staff asking for clarification to all the things you have listed. Yes itís passive aggressive, but I bet you get a ton of responses agreeing with you.

And find out if you are getting paid or a stipend for all the summer courses youíre expected to take. Youíre going to have to be up to date with all the new technology in the Fall, but sounds like admin is just throwing stuff against the wall and hoping it sticks.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school board is making us work the waived school days - they need to make sure they are not paying us for doing nothing! We have 7 workshop days added to our calendar!

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach123

Old 06-02-2020, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No we are not a union state. I think biggest problem is that they are just jumping on everything that comes along instead of having a plan. I think most of it is a combination of the coordinator of instruction at the central office and our principal. The problem is our principal has a tendency to make everything required even if central office doesn't. I may very well contact people through email. That is a good idea. I did email one person this morning and wasn't the nicest. Thanks for the advice. I know it could always be worse but I am tired of constantly being expected to devote all summer to school.
teach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Sorry
Old 06-15-2020, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It sounds like a mess. We were required to complete a training course the second week that we were out of school. They forbade us from teaching the first week, but then made us have five extra online training days. It wasn't our fault. But I guess they also wanted to get every last drop out of us.

Also, I can't believe that your cases are going up AND they wanted you to attend an IN PERSON training. Wow. We had several days where we could come in to clean up, but they were staggered for safety.

Good luck with all the training. I like the idea of emailing them and seeing if they clarify.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote