Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dentist question

>

teach123

Dentist question
Old 06-12-2020, 12:29 PM

I posted a few weeks ago about taking my daughter to the pediatric dentist. I ended up going and she was supposed to give me an appointment to fill a cavity between my daughter's molars. This is her first cavity. When we got there, she did xrays and said she has 7 cavities, all between her molars and she wants to put a crown on one molar due to the enamel not forming correctly. I know dental work can be subjective from dentist to dentist but I am really upset. She has always gone to our local family dentist and he hasn't said anything about her enamel. I get the cavities because he waits until they are a little older to start xrays but the enamel should have been obvious. I have called my dentist to get his opinion but of course they are currently on vacation. I dont know what to do. Her regular dentist did have her 6 month appt. and saw the one cavity and then a few days later the other dentist tells us she needed extensive work. I brush her teeth with fluoride toothpaste twice a day, she doesnt like sweets, we have town water, and she ends up with problems. She is only 5 so I don't want to subject her to things that could wait but I also dont want her to have problems later with permanent teeth. What should I do?

teach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-12-2020, 12:39 PM

Definitely get a second opinion. I love and trust our pediatric dentist. But, a group around here was recommending unnecessary work to cash in. Hopefully you just have a dentist being very thorough and noticing things earlier because of more experience with kids.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-12-2020, 12:39 PM

I’d definitely get a second (and maybe even third) opinion. Just doesn’t sound right to me.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 06-12-2020, 12:46 PM

I would get another opinion as well. When I first moved to my current town, I went to a dental practice based on the recommendation of a relative. Every visit turned up a new problem. The dentist was constantly recommending treatments, fillings, and other work. I later switched to another dentist recommended by a friend. I have none of those “problems” that I had before. My teeth are in good shape and he only recommends treatment when necessary. I am sure that the other dentist was creating issues where none existed just so he could bill my insurance. A second opinion from a totally different dentist sounds like a good idea.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 06-12-2020, 01:00 PM

Second opinion, period!

RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 06-12-2020, 01:17 PM

I would definitely get a second opinion. My 5 year old has a cavity between his front two teeth. Our pediatric dentist has been wonderful and recommended just waiting and keeping an eye on it. He doesn't want to do any work unless necessary or ds complains of pain since those teeth will likely fall out on their own soon anyway. The dentist told me that he tries to avoid extensive work with young children as it can sometimes be traumatizing and just cause more issues when they are older (like fear of the dentist, etc.). I think it's worth looking getting a second opinion to see what your options are. Good luck!
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

yrutching

Old 06-12-2020, 01:25 PM

Get a second opinion. Years ago my dentist retired. I went to a new dentist who did X-rays and said that the X-rays showed several cavities. I had never had many cavities. A friend advised me to go and get the X-rays and take them to a different dentist which I did. The second dentist said the X-ray showed only one cavity. I have been going to that dentist ever since.
yrutching is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 06-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Another vote for a second opinion. My 6 yr old daughter's dentist told me she needed 4 permanent teeth removed to make room for her other permanent teeth because he could see in the x-rays that her other permanent teeth were so big they would be too crowded. I said that she was 6 years old and wouldn't maybe her mouth grow to accommodate those teeth. The dentist said no. I found a new dentist who never said one word about the size of her mouth or teeth. And wonder of wonders, her mouth grew to accommodate those teeth.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 06-12-2020, 03:18 PM

I agree with a 2nd and 3rd opinion. I was told I needed two crowns by a local dentist. I was shocked and went to see my old dentist 2 hours away. Was told I probably needed one crown and one cavity fill, but was newly pregnant so I couldn't get new x-rays or work, so I waited. After my kid was born I went to another dentist and both were fixed as small cavities. 10 years later I have zero issues with those teeth and am very grateful I didn't get crowns put on.
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote