Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you like the state you live in?

>

hikinghiker

Do you like the state you live in?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:01 AM

Why or Why not? Or are you mixed?

Personally, I'm mixed. I don't like the aesthetics of my city or state (Las Vegas, NV). No trees, large city, no backyards, and I prefer a rural lifestyle. But on the other hand, there's great amenities, I can find anything I need, I'm close to family, I have a good job, and I'm a good financial position here. Plus, while I haven't made any friends or SO here yet, there's so much to do that it won't be difficult once I finally find the motivation. Also, good hiking nearby!

I've been keeping myself from moving with yearly road trips to my preferred states, but I'm curious about you all. What's you opinion on your location?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-08-2020, 10:11 AM

I'm in CO and I do like it. My problem is I was a military spouse for so long that I became accustomed to moving frequently. We've been here 19/20 years, which is the longest I've ever lived anywhere. I am itching for a change, definitely!!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

NJ is okay...
Old 07-08-2020, 10:18 AM

I lived 33 years of my life in NY state prior to moving here. I like the proximity to good medical care, the beach is about 90 minutes away, we have the cultural advantages of being close to NYC, and I can drive to more rural areas very easily with an houyr or so. I like the 4 seasons, and we have enjoyed miler winters the past few years with far less snow than I had in upstate NY.

The major drawbacks are the high taxes and the high cost of living. It also is a very densely populated state, which means lots of crowding and traffic.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I think part of this
Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 AM

is that as humans we have a great feeling towards that place we see as home.

I like where I am now, more than where I grew up. However, had I never moved away I would probably be saying I liked that place because I wouldn't be comparing it to anywhere else.

I think I could easily move to New England and be happy. Other areas as beautiful and nice as they are would just be too much of an adjustment.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

RI is my jam!
Old 07-08-2020, 10:26 AM

Love our little state. Friendly, kind, and giving people in my town. My town is seaside so about five minutes from ocean. Great restaurants in Newport, 20 minutes away, and Providence, 35 minutes away. My town is filled with tourists this time of year. The university I attended is right up the street. We travel to other places...Europe, Canada, other parts of US but I am always happy to get home. We do have four seasons although there was almost no snow last year. Even when it snows, I love it. We are 2 1/2 hours from NY and 60 minutes from Boston. Very convenient to see museums and other great places in those two cities. Our boat is 3 minutes from our house in a little marina.

juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 AM

I live near Chicago and like my suburb because everything I need is two minutes away. I have six grocery stores within two minutes away and many other amenities. I am a big city person being involved in the arts so living in the third largest metro area in the country is perfect for me.

My husband and I tried to move to the Indianapolis area last summer to have lower property taxes and buy a much cheaper home and take the proceeds left from the sale of our home after buying a much cheaper one. However, we are still in the Chicago area because we were not able to sell our home.

In a way, it is a good thing because in Indianapolis, there were miles and miles of nothing but houses, and condo and apartment complexes and very few businesses. the amenities to anywhere were quite a bit further away.

I do feel like I need a change thought and hopefully we will eventually get a chance to move somewhere else in a few years or so. Not that I have a job and new insurance it would be more problematic.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Kansas
Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Yes and No
Pros - We live in a small town in a rural setting. The people are friendly, and will do anything to help out a neighbor. The cost of living is relatively low. It's quiet, and the crime rate is low. You can walk safely all over town. We have a very large yard, with lots of trees. We are close enough to the city to go there for movies, concerts, ball games, etc.

Cons - We have to drive at least 20 minutes to do anything besides grocery shop. (Grocery prices are high here.) There is no privacy as everyone knows everyone. If you leave a window open, someone will call you and ask if you know your window is open.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 07-08-2020, 10:41 AM

I love my state of Washington. I live in a city situated on the water and the mountains (Mt Baker) are about an hour away. Lots of hiking, biking, sailing, kayaking too. Plenty of green here. The state is divided by the Cascades so you can go east through a rugged pass to the hotter and drier side and enjoy somewhat desert type areas. A very diverse and beautiful state!
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-08-2020, 10:42 AM

CALIFORNIA & YES!

The only con is the high cost of living, otherwise, I love:

- scenery
- things to do
- weather for the most part, but it could be cooler more often for me personally
- the fact that we get no tornadoes, hurricanes, and the like

I could live in this state my entire life, which I have so far.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 AM

I’m in Florida, outside of Orlando.

I’m only 25 minutes from the beach which is convenient but I’m not a huge fan of Florida in general.

I hate only having one season. It’s basically hot, hotter, and the edge of death.

If I didn’t have amazing friends and family here I would move but that always wins out for me.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 07-08-2020, 10:51 AM

I love Minnesota, but...

I hate the long, very cold winters.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-08-2020, 10:56 AM

Mixed Feelings.

I'm in Wisconsin.

Pros: Beautiful nature -- seriously, every hike is beautiful, its so green in the summer and so gorgeous in every other season; my family is here; I have good friends and a decent job; I live in a good city that's a fit for me both politically and personally; my neighborhood is walkable and beautiful.

Cons: Some of the politics is not so great, especially with the BLM. We are a VERY segregated state. Hyper focus on our football teams (it's all anyone seems to care about). Weather extremes in the summer and winter can be tough. There's nothing around here - you have to drive to Chicago to get any decent flights anywhere or any decent theaters, museums, etc.

I lived in California for a while and I would move back there in a heartbeat, if I could afford it. But I think all states have their pros/cons and it just depends on what you like or care about.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

I love California
Old 07-08-2020, 11:04 AM

I was born here and I love traveling to see family in the Midwest, which has its charms, but nothing beats California.

It has great weather which means there is a lot to do year round. Within 2 hours I could drive to the beach, be on my way to the Redwoods, see farmland, watch a Major League Baseball-Basketball-Hockey-Football game, go to the lake, going skiing, shop at every kind of store - yet still go out to fruit stands and farrmers markets, see live theater from Broadway, eat almost any type of cuisine in a restaurant.

Not so good: high cost of housing (fortunately I have owned my home for 15 years) and bad traffic ó but that comes with everyone else wanting to live here, too!

Last edited by Gogogo; 07-08-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Yes
Old 07-08-2020, 11:11 AM

I love living in NC. We have four seasons and even though the summers are very hot, the winters are usually mild. I live in the Sandhills area where lots of retirees relocated. We have excellent medical care, small town atmosphere and are halfway between the mountains and the beach.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-08-2020, 11:29 AM

There are some things I like about my state. I like that I live in a more open minded state than many others. I like our current governor.

I don't like southern california because I don't like warm weather. I have been here 40 years but I still miss the snow. I know many people think I live in paradise but I am not a nature person. I like big cities. Los Angeles does not really have a big city vibe.

I thought a lot about moving but col would be equally high in other places I considered. If money (or immigration) were not an issue I would move to Montreal or Toronto.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

State
Old 07-08-2020, 11:32 AM

California is home to me after living here many years. I love where I live. I can go from swimming in the ocean and hiking in the mountains to hiking in the desert all on the same day. I can drive into the city for dinner (now take-out) or pick up fresh vegetables and fruits from the small farms in the rural areas all within 5-15 minutes. The weather where I live is just about perfect. Goldilocks weather, as my kids used to say. California is very large and home to many national parks, and there are many beautiful places to visit.
As other CA people have mentioned, the cost of living is very high.

Quote:
Also, good hiking nearby!
hikinghiker, I agree with you about all the good hiking around your area. DH's nephew lives in Summerlin and when we visit, we go hiking in Red Rock Canyon NCA (where we also we got married ). We also hike Mt Charleston when it gets too hot at lower elevation.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-08-2020, 11:34 AM

California is a big state with a lot of variety, geographical and cultural. People who don’t live here love to criticize us (except Izzy), even the President hates California. But I love it. DH always responded to the critics, “Fine, more California for me.”

I’ve lived in 3 distinct areas of the state, suburbs of Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. In all 3 I’ve found openminded & educated people, mild weather, beauty, culture, history, opportunity, and the Pacific Ocean.

As communication widens, our states become more similar. But I believe California is unique and, unless I get really brave and move to Hawaii, I’m staying put.

Izzy, I have a guest room.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

New Jersey
Old 07-08-2020, 11:43 AM

I moved to NJ when we married and I do like it. I like being near to Philly an NYC And all that cities have to offer. The ocean isnít far. I also love that the beautiful area of Pa where I grew up is only about an hour away. Weíve made wonderful friends here which is important because we havenít much family.

The negatives are the taxes... highest property tax in the nation... and the weather. Iím with you, Sonoma, itís too hot and humid. I love winter and would move to a cooler climate in a heartbeat if I were younger.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-08-2020, 11:44 AM

I love NM. It has a little bit of everything. River fun, fishing, mountains, desert, great scenery, fossils, NA cultural things...

My heart though is CO mountains, but we are trying to decide on retirement. Utah is great, except for the lack of liquor stores. Wyoming is pretty interesting, although I am not sure of winter even though I like winter sports. Maybe a combo of them will work.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Iowa is my home. I have lived here all my life except for the 4 years we lived in Utah when Dh was in the military. I like that my town is small around 1000 people and everyone is very friendly. As someone else said everyone knows everyone else's business too. I am surrounded by farm fields on all sides. We do have a railroad track and an interstate highway on 2 sides as well. I have to drive about 10 minutes to get to a bigger town for shopping. If I want to shop larger stores, Costco, Apple, Target, etc... I have to drive a little over an hour. I wish we have more to do locally. We have awesome lakes, fishing, and hunting though. I would love to live in the big city again. My family and DH's family is all here so this is where I will stay. I hope one day that we can buy a retirement home somewhere and live there in the winter. I hate Iowa winters, snow and cold weather are not my thing.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-08-2020, 11:50 AM

I have lived in Detroit, Michigan my whole life and truly believe Detroit is the greatest, most resilient city on earth. We can head up north for camping and water sports are everywhere. Snow is great and I love winter. We have great food and really diverse neighborhoods. We have the best governor to ever govern a state! I stand with "that woman from Michigan"!
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Nj
Old 07-08-2020, 11:57 AM

No, I plan on moving with dh to North Carolina when I retire. Older ds and his family are there. We will be closer to the beach which will be an hour away from them.
NJ property taxes are ridiculous. I pay almost 12,000 a year in taxes. The traffic gets worse every year. My 25 minute commute is never 25 minutes. It takes me 40 minutes to an hour. If thereís an accident then who knows. Thereís too many people. Iím ready for a slower lifestyle.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 07-08-2020, 12:00 PM

I was born in CA, grew up in OR, and have lived my entire adult life in WA. I joke that I might retire in British Columbia, Canada. I can't imagine living anywhere other than the West Coast.

I could probably live anywhere, but like the OP, I'd want to visit my "home" regularly!
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Mixed Feelings - NJ
Old 07-08-2020, 12:04 PM

I live about 10 minutes from the ocean in central NJ.

Pros:
- Location: close to both NYC & Philly (2 hours & 1 hour ďishĒ) Washington, DC is only about 2.5-3 hour drive as well

- the Beach! Surfing, swimming, fishing, crabbing, etc. Iíve always lived no more than a 15 minute drive from the bay or ocean.

- 2-3 hour drive to PA or NY for snowboarding/skiing or for a longer trip itís only 6-8 hour drive to VT or NH

- Itís a little over an hour drive to Cape May. This is great for day trips. Ditto to go to Delaware, specifically Rehobeth Beach with a bonus ferry ride.

- NJ is the ďGarden StateĒ, since I live in the central/south Jersey area itís a short drive to farmland & yummy yummy fresh produce

- 4 seasons with snow (although this past winter was a bust )

- Food: pizza, bagels, pork roll (Taylor ham)

Cons:
- Cost of Living is ridiculous

- property taxes are high

- congested state: summer & Shore traffic is a pain

- stereotypes: ďJersey ShoreĒ (stupid MTV ), ďarmpit of NJĒ, etc

I went to college in Texas between San Antonio & Austin. I loved it but I missed the ocean/beach. Lake Travis was great but itís just not the same as the ocean. Plus I really missed the different seasons. Iíve also lived in Germany. This was better for seasons but no ocean/beach. I love to travel but my family is here. So for now my DH & I are content to travel.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Pa
Old 07-08-2020, 12:09 PM

I love PA and the town I live in. I also love the town I grew up in. I love my doctors, the convenience to Philadelphia, NY, Washington DC, beaches, mountains, grocery stores, farm stands...EVERYTHING!

I move to Florida on Friday because dh does not like winter. I canít say that Iím thrilled but we know several people who love Florida. I hope I grow to like it a lot.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 07-08-2020, 12:12 PM

I'm in SW Florida, and I love it. I grew up in FL (Indian Rocks Beach), so moving here after we retired was like coming home for me (DH, not so much after living in the same small TN town his entire life, except going away to school). I love warm weather, my RA hates cold, and the only thing I have to scrape off my windshield is seagull poop! Yes, we have "Florida Man" (one has gone viral with his rant in Costco in Fort Myers, just over the river from where I live), but the worst thing about living here for me is having to shave my legs all year long!
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

edfan

Va is pretty good
Old 07-08-2020, 12:20 PM

The biggest pros are location (beaches, mountains, Washington DC) and mildish seasons We are very divided politically, often by urban vs. rural.
edfan is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 07-08-2020, 12:29 PM

I love Vermont! Itís beautiful! I like having four seasons. We value the environment and the arts. Itís safe, which is especially important right now.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-08-2020, 12:40 PM

I'm in CO. I like living here for the most part. Obviously it's beautiful, and the weather is pleasant much of the time. Where I grew up, it was extremely humid and just miserable outside a lot of the time. People are generally nice, and because there are so many transplants it's easy to make friends. I like that many natural disasters don't happen here- I can't imagine living somewhere with the fear of losing everything in a tornado, hurricane, or earthquake. Hail is a big threat but that's nowhere near as big of a deal, and fires happen but generally not near the city where I live.

I used to live in the mountains and hated it. Terrible weather all of the time, snobby and shallow people, nothing to do other than ski, missing basic amenities such as stores. For me, skiing was a sort of fun activity I might want to do every once in awhile. For everyone else, it was a life consuming obsession. I appreciate everything about living near the city SO much after living there, so I guess that's a good thing. I never take the most basic things such as being able to go to Target whenever I want for granted anymore! Same state, vastly different experiences.

I do miss the practicality of the Midwest sometimes. Housing is stupid expensive here. I could have bought a mansion in my hometown for what my 2 bedroom townhouse cost. School funding is AWFUL here. My parents are both teachers and I went to college in OH so I did all of my practicums/student teaching there. It's amazing (and sad) the differences between what schools had there and what we have. The COL is so much higher here, yet teachers in OH make significantly MORE than what I make. The whole scenario is just absurd to me, and people aren't willing to change things to make it any better.

I definitely think sometimes that I should have built my resume for 2-3 years here and then gone back home. I would have been in the "sweet spot" of having a bit of experience but still being super cheap to hire. I graduated into a horrific job market in 2010, which is how I ended up here in the first place. Now, I'm too old and expensive to move back. Being on the school calendar allowed me to visit a lot, so I didn't think the distance was a huge deal until recently. Now with everything going on of course I wish I were closer to family. I've missed two trips I would have regularly taken already, and I don't see any way Thanksgiving/Christmas travel is going to be feasible either.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Well....
Old 07-08-2020, 12:44 PM

I love Texas, but I'm NOT happy with TEA and the governor right now on how they have handled any of this pandemic mess.
Just for the living quality and the people, yes I love it.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 07-08-2020, 12:48 PM

I am in rural Western Pennsylvania. I love this place! I am only 20 minutes from Pittsburgh so if I want to go to the city I can. But mostly I love all of the state parks that I can visit within an hour of my house. There is no place like Steeler Country!
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 07-08-2020, 12:57 PM

The great state of Texas!! Yes, I am proud to be Texan!!

I grew up on the Gulf Coast, college in the panhandle, and now live in the northern plains. I love each area for different reasons.

I donít think I would move to any other state unless forced.

Iím not too thrilled with the TEA right now, but thatís another story...
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-08-2020, 01:04 PM

I live in Washington state and love all the variety of scenery. We can find ocean, forest, prairie, mountains, and desert all within a few hours away.

I don't like the rainy, dark winters and I don't like that Seattle voters determine so many of our state laws.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 07-08-2020, 01:10 PM

Yes, I love WV. It's quiet, relaxed, and a lot of nature. People are also friendly. We have a bad stereotype, but I think most people and places would not identify by or like their stereotype.
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thereís no place like home...
Old 07-08-2020, 01:32 PM

Our house is in Central NJ, and we love the area, the people, and the seasons. We are close to family and have many close friends. Like others said, we are close to major cities, airports, mountains, beaches, farms...we have it all!

Yes, taxes are high but our house is paid for, and the value keeps rising, so we consider it an investment as well as home.

I currently teach in Columbia, SC, at the worldís sweetest little Catholic school. I love the P (who I worked for in NJ), the families, the staff, and the warm atmosphere. SC itself is fine, but way too hot for too long. We have an apartment in a very nice area, but thereís nothing there for us, really, outside of the school. (I love the school, but donít plan to work forever!)

Itís a wonderful opportunity to explore the south, and thereís a lot to see. But, honestly, nothing we have seen so far beats the Great Garden State!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

No I donít
Old 07-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Yes Indiana:
Pros: family is here
Low cost of living
Indianapolis (not my city) is a wonderful city with amazing restaurants, etc.
Wonderful universities here- 2 Big Ten universities and Notre Dame.

Cons: hate the weather
So divided politically. Even though my city isnít real small, there are some red necks in every Indiana city

I canít wait to move to a warmer climate. We have to be discerning though because along with warmer weather can be racism. Considering Naples or Cape Coral.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

No but I guess I'm mixed?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:42 PM

I'm in IL. We're well known for our corrupt government and high taxes. That said, I love the small town I live it, its proximity to decent shopping, and that most of our family lives close. Cost of living is relatively low and we have a nice home with a large lot on a road that isn't busy. Those darn grandkids less than a mile down the road would make relocating very difficult.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

No I donít
Old 07-08-2020, 01:43 PM

Indiana:
Pros: family is here
Low cost of living
Indianapolis (not my city) is a wonderful city with amazing restaurants, etc.
Wonderful universities here- 2 Big Ten universities and Notre Dame.

Cons: hate the weather
So divided politically. Even though my city isnít real small, there are some red necks in every Indiana city

I canít wait to move to a warmer climate. We have to be discerning though because along with warmer weather can be racism. Considering Naples or Cape Coral.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Tx
Old 07-08-2020, 01:51 PM

I love Texas so much.
Also not happy with the TEA right now. But the state and the friendly people here, I love.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 07-08-2020, 01:53 PM

DH and I love Texas. We both grew up in the Northeast/New England (Maine mostly) and spent 17 years in the SF Bay Area so Texas was quite the change for us. We found Texas to have the friendliest people who will give you the shirt off their back. Love living in the the land of cowboys, ranches, great food, longhorns, and wildlife. We really enjoy the Texas Hill Country and being near state parks for camping and not too far from San Antonio and Fredericksburg. We plan to stay until the good Lord calls us home.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Utah
Old 07-08-2020, 02:18 PM

I really love Utah. I live in the Wasatch Front, just south of Salt Lake. It is beautiful here at the base of the Wasatch Mountains. We are 20 minutes from 5 major ski resorts and campgrounds. We are 4 hours from the Red Rock country.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Wisconsin
Old 07-08-2020, 02:29 PM

I agree with everything Izzy23 said and would just add proximity to Lake Michigan and Door County as something I love about Wisconsin.

I've lived in Minnesota, South Dakota and Iowa. My family is from South Dakota but I don't think I'd ever live there again. Minnesota and Iowa were fine but if I were ever to move from Wisconsin, I think I'd look at either New England or the Pacific Northwest.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

Texan here
Old 07-08-2020, 02:53 PM

I've always lived in Texas, and I love my state. Here are a few reasons why in no particular order:

1. Very friendly people & Southern hospitality
2. Plenty of churches and denominations to choose from if you wish
3. Love the state park campgrounds
4. TexMex, fried chicken, bbq, chicken fried steak, and sweet tea
5. Reasonable cost of living (love my 1 acre lot), but I grew up in the country on 300 acres with a huge garden, pecan trees, 2 ponds, and fruit trees
6. Mild winters
7. Great cities like Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Galveston
8. Small towns like Fredericksburg, Jefferson, Granbury, and Tyler

BUT. . . to go to the ocean, you have to drive for hours. (Sorry, But Galveston beaches are not pretty in my opinion)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

My state
Old 07-08-2020, 03:11 PM

I think I could be happy in a wide variety of places if I could have several lifetimes. Sometimes I miss the change of seasons that I remember from when I was a young child in NY state, and I wonder what it would be like to return and live there. However, I love the state (California) where I have lived most of my life, and I have no plans to move. Plus, I love the area and my comfortable home where I live now too much to move. And I have my mountain cabin, also in SoCal, to see snow once or twice a year if I want.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Arizona
Old 07-08-2020, 05:37 PM

I grew up in IL (suburbs) but moved to AZ when I was 19 with my mom after my stepdad had passed away the year before. My DH (who was my BF at the time) also moved here (not with us - he moved in with a relative). He had been wanting to move here way before we moved.

Pros: Anyway....I do love AZ. Beautiful sunsets, mountains two hours away with skiing, plenty of lakes, we downsized last year and moved to a wonderful community and have great neighbors. We are about 6 hours from San Diego or LA and the beaches of CA. We are 4 hours from Rocky Point (Mexico) with amazing beaches (not that we are going to Mexico right now). I love my school and District.

Cons: It is HOT in the summer - no getting around that. But I love swimming so it makes it bearable. DH's sister still lives in IL so that's tough. But honestly, I can't imagine living somewhere else.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Iím in WA as well but I live
Old 07-08-2020, 06:23 PM

On the dry, desert side of the state. I do love it here because I grew up on the other (rainy) side of the state and now canít imagine living there.

We have beautiful weather, water and snow sports. The only thing I do miss is the ocean. As a kid it took 90 minutes to get there. Now itís 5 hours.
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 PM

Iím in Kentucky. I really like it. My part is rural, but 50 miles from a major city. Cost of living in my town is low.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

my state
Old 07-08-2020, 07:06 PM

Born and raised in California (4th generation Californian) and I liked it while I was there but when we moved to Oregon I immediately felt like I had come home.

I have everything I need (except my grandchildren) in an incredibly beautiful setting. Mountains and ocean are both less than 2 hours away and I'm surrounded by rivers. My town is very rural but I'm only 30 minutes from a major city. We get all 4 seasons but none of them have really extreme weather.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Ohio
Old 07-09-2020, 02:16 AM

I so enjoy reading the responses for this question. Thanks for some lighter reading during these covid times...

Yes, I do love our state! I've lived here all my life in about 3 different regions. As kids, we spent part of our summers at Lake Erie. Fishing and swimming and sunbathing.

There are times when I want to be in better weather during our long winters. But I love the change of seasons. We live in a rural part but can get to Cleveland in less than an hour. Excellent museums and the zoo. We have lots of parks and lakes. A variety of bike and hike trails often from the rails -to- trails program. We have rolling hills and flatlands. It is reasonable to live here, taxes are manageable.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote