Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Oxygen sensor for finger

>

Munchkins

Oxygen sensor for finger
Old 07-28-2020, 05:32 AM

My sister and I got foot massages yesterday, and besides taking our temp they measured our oxygen level with one of those finger gadgets. The owner said if a person is Asymptomatic the virus might be in their lungs and their oxygen level would be lower.

The finger meters are only about $30 on amazon. I’m thinking of getting one as added assurance that I’m fine when I start getting the inevitable colds from being back in school. Maybe I could use it to check students if needed, too.

What are your thoughts?
https://iproven.com/products/oximete...hoCVeEQAvD_BwE

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Curious
Old 07-28-2020, 05:36 AM

I think that is a very reasonable price, especially if it gives you peace of mind.

I'd get more information though. Is that actually true that asymptomatic people would have lower oxygen level? Do you know the range for what's considered a lower level? Are there are other reasons you'd have a lower oxygen level? My colds are always chest colds/Bronchitis and cause me to have trouble breathing sometimes. I feel like if I had Bronchitis, I'd have a lower oxygen level whether or not I was asymptomatic for COVID.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 07-28-2020, 05:44 AM

(This is my nursing degree talking)

Pulse oximetry is kinda like an informal assessment. It is one of a bunch of vital signs. Good ones will measure the percentage of oxygen saturation and give a reasonable metric of a persons ability to move air through the lungs. But it isn’t foolproof, and it doesn’t tell the full story of a person’s respiratory status. Folks with COPD will always read lower because of damage to the aveoli and they will retain CO2 at higher concentrations. Also, If circulation is in any way affected, the pulse ox will not read accurately. You must also make sure it is reading your pulse accurately.

I can see value in having one if you are sick. Oxygen saturations that drop on exertion are often indicative of an underlying issue. Lower saturations in combination with congestion, difficulty or pain in breathing are a sign of something too. But I don’t think, and I haven’t seen any data to support, that it will tell you anything if you are asymptomatic. That means without symptoms, lungs included.

To truly determine if respiratory failure is present, blood gasses from arterial blood must be drawn.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Asthma
Old 07-28-2020, 05:46 AM

I would probably have low levels as well due to my asthma. But neat device for a reasonable price.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-28-2020, 07:22 AM

From what I've heard, it couldn't hurt to have one on hand. However, I have not heard of it's being useful if not having symptoms. I've heard more of it as being useful to check on your levels if you're already sick so you can seek medical attention if necessary.

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

oxygen meter
Old 07-28-2020, 08:07 AM

Back in March I ordered a battery operated sensor from Amazon for about $30. I received two due to some problem in delivery time, and the company said I could keep the extra one. From my experience I would suggest that you pay a bit more to have something reliable. Not only was it hard to do a reading unless my finger was in exactly the right place to measure, the readings were all over the place.

It may have something to do with the thickness of my finger. It seemed like the meter was meant for "normal" people. I have skinny fingers, and had to contort my finger sideways instead of using the recommended placement, and I also found that my thumb "fit" better than my index finger. Even so, I got readings from <50% to 99% all within a span of 10 minutes. It would flag any reading under 95% as a warning of low oxygen levels, which was quite disconcerting at first.

Last edited by cvt; 07-28-2020 at 08:44 PM..
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote
likestravels

likestravels

Pulse Oximeter
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 AM

We have one. The reason being that it was reported that some persons having COVID-19 do not realize that their oxygen levels become low gradually, and present problems. I think that if you do get the virus, you would then be able to keep a track of your oxygen level at home. (You know they are going to just tell us to stay at home and only go to the hospital if you are having breathing problems, etc.) So anything that can help with your self- monitoring would be to your advantage.

Two of my sisters are nurses. They both have oximeters at home and advised me to purchase one. Had trouble finding one-all sold out in every pharmacy in our area. We ordered one on line for about $60 dollars. (My sisters have ones that cost more.) The brand we ordered was- Pulse. We are pleased with it.

We have tried ours out and the readings have been consistent over time. Pulse readings go up with exercise, so we know that part is working!

Some families rest easier having an oximeter at home, some don't feel that one is needed. Go with what you think is best for your situation!

marguerite2

Old 07-28-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe I could use it to check students if needed, too.
I would not use it on students. (I would not take their temperatures either.) Teachers are not nurses. In the COVID-19 era, the nurse (or principal if no nurse) should handle any suspected illness.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Oxygen meter.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:02 PM

I bought one to keep in my cupboard. I also kept my spirometer given to me in the hospital after my knee surgery. I figure it canít hurt to have them during this time.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 07-28-2020, 06:35 PM

Thanks for all the responses! You always have a lot of great info and thoughts!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-28-2020, 09:16 PM

My phone has one built in. It was really handy when I had pneumonia. It was reading as accurately as the one at the doctorís office. I was supposed to check periodically and go to the ER if it dropped below a certain point.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote