Help

The VENT

Hybrid model

>

middlestsis

Hybrid model
Old 07-29-2020, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district has decided to start with a hybrid model and a requirement for staff and students to wear masks. Because of this, I did not put my name in to be considered a virtual teacher (among other reasons!) but now I am regretting it.

Our state Task Force said that in the event of a hybrid schedule, teachers should not be asked to plan for both virtual and in-person instruction for the same day. However, I heard that a group met to discuss what hybrid will look like, and they said that we would have to contact every student every day in some way and that we would have to plan lessons for both groups every day. They even said that we couldn't reuse plans (so I can't teach Group A an in person lesson and then Group B that same lesson as if they were in the classroom). They said that each day there would be a morning meeting, read aloud, problem solver, and mini lessons but we wouldn't be required to meet virtually with students every day. However, that means I'm still planning for both every day!

That is at least double the planning and assessing and way more juggling of what my students have learned! I just don't see how this is possible and it is going against the recommendations we were given! I know this is not set in stone, but I don't think that anyone is going to speak out because not everyone is involved in this meeting and I don't even know who to talk to!

middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

cailin

adapt, not redo
Old 07-30-2020, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can't teach the exact same lesson to group A (in person) and Group B (online) but I see no reason why you cannot adapt the lesson somewhat. After all, you will presumably be teaching the same concept. You won't have to write completely different lesson plans.

Or, if the hybrid means week on week off, in some subjects you may be able to alternate topics. Plan for a 4 week period. Weeks 1 and 3 for group A become weeks 2 and 4 for group B and vice versa.
cailin is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 07-30-2020, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We just got a similar email about not "reusing" lesson plans. The wording of it made it seem lesson plans/online versions didn't belong to us. Um, no. If my face/voice is in it, it belongs to me.

Singvogel

Ours is kind of like yours.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We're starting digital, but the first step back is supposed to be an AM/PM model, with students doing "meaningful" independent activities the other half of the time at home.

I think it sounds like double planning, too. I'm hopeful that our union will be able to help with that. They are negotiating now.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 07-30-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know your pain! I teach SPED K - 3rd. K - 2nd are full time, however; I have one 2nd grader that is going completely virtual. I have to plan and teach her just as I would the rest, all lessons online. I have no clue how Iím going to have time to do,that, I must also contact this students at least twice a week for 45 minutes.
3rd is hybrid. Monday/Wednesday and every other Friday, Tuesday/Thursday and every other FIRDAY, Unless your an employees kid, then you can do daily. So in 3rd I have some on A, some on B, and 1 all day every day.
I have no clue how Iím going to do this!

Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote