How are you dealing with the disappointment of digital learning? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

How are you dealing with the disappointment of digital learning?

>

hikinghiker

Old 07-31-2020, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know it's the safest for everyone, but I can't help but feel upset and disappointed. This is my favorite part of the year. I love decorating my classroom and getting ready to meet my new little kinders. I love meet the teacher night. I love connecting with parents. I love the beginning of the year excitement where all of us teachers are bustling around the building getting ready and planning.

I'm trying to get excited by building my canvas page, planning what I can, etc. But it's just not working. I might not even get the chance to see co-workers since our training is in-person optional.

I'm just bummed. Anyone else?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 07-31-2020, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Same here. I just can't wrap my head around how I'm supposed to do this distance thing with absolutely no guidance! My superintendent has written a letter to the governor and the state super for more clear guidelines but we don't even know if we are live streaming or if we are recording and posting videos. We don't know how long the kids are to be on their computers. The ONLY thing I know is that I have to report to work everyday and teach from my classroom. I'm ok with that but they've said no staff children are allowed so it really puts those teachers with kids in a bind. The local daycares are completely packed with mile long waiting lists.
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-31-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think I'm finally over the disappointment, however I still have NO idea how to do kindergarten over zoom. None. It's just so wrong for my little babies. I'm not excited at all, I'm dreading it. And I hate feeling this way!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 07-31-2020, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm also disappointed. How will I learn their personalities let alone their names? I do not like this at all. We were supposed to do a hybrid of two days in school for 15 and then two other days for 15 more with Wednesday off for deep cleaning. I was looking forward to that. This just has my stomach in knots.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-31-2020, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How am I dealing? By procrastinating anything I actually should be doing to prepare.

Now that I have met with our p regarding our PD before school starts, I am procrastinating even more. Every time a decision is made, something changes and that blows the prior decision. Or there are so many unknowns that it is difficult to make any decision.

Starting remote. How in the heck do I get kinders on google meets and teach them anything? I am working on a parent website (well a list of things I want on the site...). Don't want to do anything! My room is staying like it was in Mar for quite a while. -We are supposed to go Hybrid in Sept, but my room may be the Covid quarantine room.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-31-2020, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, currently they're still saying we're starting in person. My governor said yesterday that closing schools was "letting the virus win" so there's that . I'm still half expecting to end up online anyway, but we'll see. If we do in fact start in person I don't think we'll make it very long due to outbreaks.

I know this is a sort of "sour grapes" way of looking at it, but I think it's important to remember that in person instruction wouldn't be anything like what we're used to. All of the things that make school fun and enjoyable would be gone. No assemblies, no celebrations, no hands on projects, no collaboration, no games, etc. Having to wear a mask all day as well as police kids in masks. Spending all day keeping kids away from each other. Kids sitting at their desk all day and not allowed to work with others or move around. Constantly worrying about surfaces and cleaning. My P figured out we'll lose about 70 instructional minutes just for hand washing. No spending social time with teammates- we have to stay away from each other. Fear and anxiety (teachers and kids) with every cough and headache. Fear and anxiety every time a teacher or student is absent- wondering if they'll be one of the unlucky ones who needs hospitalization/has long term effects or doesn't make it. Actually dealing with losses of teachers and students.

I see a lot of parents and even some teachers wanting to send kids back so they can "get back to their routine" or for "socialization" and "mental health." I don't think people realize what in person school is really going to look like. I actually worry that we're going to create new social/emotional issues for some kids by putting them through this- just nothing about this is normal.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

I'm stressed about it.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I find myself thinking of ways to meet with my kids and families. I'm mulling over setting up a table and chairs at 6ft. plus on our school's front lawn and doing back-to-school meetings in person (masked, of course.)

I mess around with things that aren't very meaningful, like making a Bitmoji Google Slide classroom background. By mess around, I mean HOURS, even doing stupid stuff like using shapes and lines to make a document camera that looks like my classroom one. It came out pretty cool, though.

While doing the virtual classroom background, I got inspired to make a poster that came out pretty cool:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Singvogel is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-31-2020, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I dealt with it in spring. The writing was on the wall back then that we'd be in distance learning this fall for at least a portion if not all of it. So I started mentally getting ready then and am actually getting ready now.

Quote:
I think it's important to remember that in person instruction wouldn't be anything like what we're used to.
This too.

Unsolicited Advice Ahead Feel Free to Disregard:
Moving past it is the only choice. Wallow for a couple of days if you have to. Or dive into productivity and wallow for half an hour or an hour a day if that's easier.

Identify what you're specifically grieving and find ways to replicate it somehow.

If it's connecting with co-workers, then try connecting with 1 or 2 outdoors socially distanced or meet in small groups via Zoom. We've been doing small group virtual happy hours since March and recently started "driveway hangouts" of 3-5 people seated 6 feet apart from each other, and they make a huge difference. The bonus is that those Zoom happy hours have made us more comfortable with Zoom, so we can have the meet the parent nights online with more confidence.

If it's getting your room ready, try sprucing up a space in your house, even if it's just a corner or a closet. In spring, we didn't know how long we'd be out of the building and some of us were locked out from our stuff, so procrastinating a permanent space made sense, but at this point, it might be that some hardcore furniture rearranging needs to happen and moving classroom supplies into your house is the way to go. Decorate the wall behind you for Zoom classes, for example. Create a bookshelf of teacher resources.

If it's seeing the kids, find out what your school is allowing for in person connections. We're going to have small group masked socially distant activities outdoors the week before academic learning starts. Maybe advocate for things like that with your admin.

Disappointment is totally natural, but we have to move into the fifth stage of grief eventually.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 07-31-2020, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All we know so far is that we are starting remote. Beyond that we are waiting for information from the union/district. They are still negotiating. I have no idea if I'll be working from home or school.

So, I repainted my home office/craft room and will set up with the expectation of teaching from home. I figure even if they decide to have us teach from school there will come a time when we are asked to stay home due to random symptoms or someone contracting Covid.

Other than that, I'm doing very little until I hear more about what will be expected of me this year. I'm putting my itch to decorate into the house for now.

I live in L.A. county and I'm glad we aren't going back with students yet. I don't like the idea of teaching reading intervention online, but I think it's the safest for now.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Haley23_thank for putting this into words...
Old 08-01-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I hate distance learning, even though I teach middle school, so it won't be as bad for us as for young kids and their teachers. I want to go back to the classroom. I feel sad--usually this is a happy and busy time for me. I look forward to getting to know the new crop of students and get them busy learning! Doing this via Google Meets is going to be difficult and no fun.

I also worry that my district and our parents and teachers are going to be so worried and risk adverse that we will do distance learning all year. I know that is the safer option in terms of the virus, but its so detrimental in every other way!

I want us all to go back to the classroom, if only part time, with half our students. But, your thoughts on this are exactly right--it's not going to be the same even if we can go back.

I would really like to fast forward one year and already be past this moment in time. I know the only way through it is through, but.... I'm feeling blue about it.

Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Ermonda

Ermonda

Love
Old 08-03-2020, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I really like this poster. Thank you for sharing it.