Help

The VENT

Live streaming?

>

Violet123

Live streaming?
Old 07-31-2020, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district is proposing the possibility to live stream classes for students who are choosing to stay home or during the remote time. I personally do not want my classes to be live streamed. Thereís confidentiality concerns, privacy concerns, and most of all I donít want parents watching me and then criticizing my teaching.

My anxiety is shifting away from possible transmission to the academic expectations. What are your thoughts about live streaming classes?

Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 07-31-2020, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check on Student privacy laws. I believe you have privacy rights, too even though you are working as a public servant.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know for a fact this is not something I'd be willing to do. I'd resign, but I'm on a financial position to say that.

I totally agree with the privacy and critiquing of your teaching as well as the actions or lack of from students.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Zooming
Old 07-31-2020, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our cameras will be aimed at the front of our room. The students zooming will see the smart board and easel (I hope- I havenít set up my room yet) and me, when I deliver instruction. I donít plan on staying in front of the room all day, just when I am teaching. The other students wonít be on camera.

I have concerns about them being able to hear me, and I doubt theyíll be able to hear their classmates.

Itís not going to be anything like really being there, but it beats doing double plans.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Retiring soon

Retiring soon

same boat
Old 07-31-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have to teach five days/week and also live stream lessons for students staying home. We are also supposed to record our lessons, which I will not do. If they give me grief, I will retire midyear or on the spot since I can. I would love to look forward to this school year the way I usually do, but I can't. I am on vacation for one more week but already have two more webinars scheduled on the new technology and get a constant flow of emails offering additional training. Two additional videos were added to the safe schools videos. It never ends. I really have no idea how this school year will go, but I am willing to give it a try.

mrsf70

Old 08-01-2020, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district is also livestreaming. According to attornies from not only our district, but also the state teacher's union, there are no legal issues with this because students would be see what's happening in the classroom if they were physically present. I still wonder about any other persons who might see what's happening, such as parents, siblings, etc., but we were told anything would come back on the district not us personally.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-01-2020, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Many districts in my state (NJ) are doing this. We have not received any info on this from the district where I teach. Rumor has it they expect us to livestream for the remote group while teaching the group in school. I cannot see how this is possible. I also do not feel comfortable doing this. I have a bad feeling that teachers will wind up on Facebook and be bashed. This is not what I ever expected we would be doing as teachers.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

A big NOPE from me
Old 08-01-2020, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Will the people who think this is a good idea agree to livestream themselves all day long, too? I think it's a terrible idea and we'll start to see lawsuits pretty quickly. Mommy9298, I'm pretty sure that the NJEA is recommending against this? I hope parents consider how this may play out.
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 08-01-2020, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Weíre doing it. Remote students will be ďinĒ our classrooms and they will be able to see and hear as if they were there. Iím glad to see this being made available; I just hope weíll be able to come teach from our classrooms if the state goes on lockdown again.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Yuck!
Old 08-01-2020, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I hate being on camera-- I don't like it for Google Meets and I don't want to be recorded and live-streamed -- I am so not ready for Prime Time!

Also, something I just thought of... if we are using our own lessons that we put together and our own instruction... don't we own it? If someone copies or records it, aren't they using my copyrighted work?

If I create a lesson and put it up on Google Slides for my students--that is my work. I want to keep control over it. I can put it on Google Classroom for my own students to reference, and then take it down later so it's not just on there.

If I'm using curriculum purchased by my district, then I don't own it and can only use it for it's intended purpose. But don't I own my own work? If I'm live-streamed, and recorded, then wouldn't people be able to use my work for their own?

Or will the live-streams never be recorded (meaning students who miss it, will just miss out?)

Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Janylynne
Old 08-01-2020, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe your work is not copyrighted unless you actually apply for and are granted a copyright by the government. It would be interesting to explore if copyrights can be granted for lectures/performances.

I'm also wondering if as a condition of use Google doesn't retain the right to record and broadcast any materials posted on its website. I think I read that was in the long, convoluted acceptance document you have to check. Not sure, but that could make for interesting lawsuits down the road. And Google has lawyers sitting around just waiting for lawsuits.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Janylynn
Old 08-01-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I remember in my district we were told whatever we created for our lessons belonged to the district because we were under contract. Maybe it depends on the state, but thatís what we were told.our plans belong to the district.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

For the input. It doesnít matter, really. I just wonder what is going to happen that none of us has even thought about or planned for.
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Dzani

Here too
Old 08-07-2020, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our district wants to do this too, but also record the livestream for download, for kids without internet. As far as I'm concerned, it makes teaching impossible.

What happens when there's an assembly with parents present? Kids go crazy because they know you can't risk raising your voice or doing anything to making them behave with parents present. Now you've got that every day. And every day, with that going on, you've got administration randomly watching that chaos from their offices.

What about the parents who get mad when their kids get a grade they don't like and dig around trying to find something you've done wrong? Reminds me of csi... stop, pause it there, yeah she said that kids name wrong on the second day of school. Im on a list that mostly sees no problem with this. One person (probably a parent) said she thought it was a great idea because then parents could see whether the teacher was doing a good job, and that they should keep them even after the pandemic.

The district has refused to agree not to use the feed for evaluations.

You can't use the intellectual property argument, btw, because a product created as part of a job technically belongs to the employer. As an analogy, the chemist doesn't hold the copyright on the prescription medicine.
Dzani is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Dzani
Old 08-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Ah, yes. I remember some school districts claiming the earnings from materials posted on TPT because they were created as a part of employment.
Not sure how that settled out. It happened after some teachers had made hundreds of thousands from TPT sales. A couple of teachers have earned over a million dollars over the years, I remember reading.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

laydj2020

Old 08-08-2020, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am in the same situation. I have NO idea how I am going to make this work. Every time I start planning, I see a roadblock that will require extra work from me and/or cause anger from parents.
laydj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote