Help

The VENT

Continuing vent

>

kahluablast

Continuing vent
Old 08-02-2020, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I vented the other day. This is a continuing vent.

I just looked at the content one of our teachers has already started filling her first six weeks(plus the other two grade level classrooms she is filling) in google classroom.

This is why we need some training early in our PD- not the last day. We are passing out chrome books to all students for remote learning With the first three weeks where we get kids acclimated to remote learning, procedures, and set the standard for beginning in full in Sept. This teacher has put all of the work in as Material instead of assignments, and they are all MS word docs. The intention that parents print them off for kids. Then what? They have to bring packets to school to drop off? Take pictures and email them? Why are we making it harder than it needs to be?

Obviously because that is all they know... they should know more by this time so they need training at the beginning of our work time, not after they have had days to do things the hard way.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 08-02-2020, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Also, many parents donít have access to a printer. I learned that last Spring as I tried my best to provide materials in low-tech ways. If I hadnít retired this summer I know I would have to step it up and learn how to use google classroom, google slides, etc.
WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

No foresight
Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So many districts didn't think ahead before we let out for the summer!
This teacher is likely going to have to redo some of his/her work. Like the pp said, he/she will learn that not everyone has a printer. Some parents won't be able to figure out how to send it as pictures. Dropping it off at school is an extra unnecessary step, especially if there are other students in the family that don't require that. Overall, just not well thought out and it's a shame. I completely understand why he/she wanted to get a head start and the district let them down.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-02-2020, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Obviously because that is all they know... they should know more by this time so they need training at the beginning of our work time, not after they have had days to do things the hard way.
Absolutely agree that PD early is essential, but at this point, how has she not even bothered to read a blog post about Classroom best practices?? If you know youíre going to have to use something and youíre getting no PD on it, I would expect you to at least do some due diligence. I donít expect you to be a master but putting up a bunch of MS Word docs as material is so far from the point that it almost feels willful.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We don't even have a model for opening yet. We should have it by Tuesday. We start back August 24th with 5 PD days now instead of 2. I'm reading up on/ trying out some tech stuff to educate myself a bit more, but I'm not creating ANYthing until we have very clear expectations of what our remote days are going to look like if we are hybrid. Typically we would get our class list next week, but those might change depending on what our plan is and what parent options are.

Last spring when we first shut down our district put out a survey and found the majority of people did not own printers. We we're told we could not require that anything get printed off. We gave out Chromebooks to those who needed them. A few people got packets, but we were also told packets we're not going to be an option unless absolutely necessary. They were concerned about germs coming back to the school when they got turned in.

There has been talk that we can't send papers home for work on remote days that we expect back if we go hybrid. There's also rumblings about even in class it should be digital as much as possible. However we are not a one-to-one school! I really don't know how this is going to work at elementary level

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

I can't stand it!
Old 08-02-2020, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes. You're right. Why are teachers everywhere being left in the dark until the last minute and then expected to work miracles? I want to be getting ready for classes now, but I do not want to have to redo it after we find out what is expected for back to school. Ugh!
BioBirdie is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Microsoft?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Let me just say it drives me nuts when people at our school use Microsoft when we are a Google School and you can just use Google Docs. I don't get it. Maybe it's a preference thing, but to me Google Docs is so much easier to use, and it's great that everyone can use it.

As far as putting work in as an assignment vs. material, maybe she had a reason for that. I'm guessing now based on what you said, but you never know. I started putting work in as "material" vs. an assignment because we were told nothing was graded, no penalties for late work, and to make sure that the kids/families knew that if things came up that they couldn't finish, that we understood. I felt labeling it "assignment" made them think that it was for a grade, had to get done, there would be consequences if it wasn't, etc. However, I found putting it in as an assignment made it easier for the kids to track. I just had to keep reminding parents of our school's expectations/philosophy.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-02-2020, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last yr we often had to take photos & upload...
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

Assignment vs materials
Old 08-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last year was the first year I used Google Classroom. I too found that students could find what I posted as an assignment easier than what I posted as materials because of the due date setting. Even after training last year it took me a week of using Google Classroom before I figured that out....and an older teacher friend of mine was so overwhelmed from the training and discouraged by years of previous programs and technologies that didn't work as well as we were told....so he wouldn't use it at all. Remote teaching is going to be a huge struggle for some less techy people that's for sure.
BioBirdie is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Old 08-02-2020, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think teachers need a lot more help on how math is going to be done online. That's where I had trouble with pages that people needed to print. I also had stubborn families that even though I had the assignment in Google classroom, they wouldn't complete it there, they'd print it off and have to take a picture to submit it. I begged them to complete the assignment in classroom, but they refused.

letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 08-02-2020, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Let me just say it drives me nuts when people at our school use Microsoft when we are a Google School and you can just use Google Docs. I don't get it. Maybe it's a preference thing, but to me Google Docs is so much easier to use, and it's great that everyone can use it.
I hate Google Docs with the burning fire of a thousand suns. It's the most clunky, unintuitive, exasperating wordprocessor I've ever used, and I was working in that field in the 1970s. If Google can't do better, damn straight I'll be using a decent program (Word) and uploading that. Life is too short to wrestle with Google Docs.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-02-2020, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We are a Google district, and Iím even Google Level 2 certified. But I absolutely HATE their programs. Microsoft is far superior. I make every single thing in Microsoft, then open in a Google to put into Classroom. I refuse to fight their program.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you Tiamat! I wholeheartedly agree.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-02-2020, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
If Google can't do better, damn straight I'll be using a decent program (Word) and uploading that.
If your students donít have it, it is a PITA to use a Word doc through GC.

I agree that Word is superior to Docs in almost every way, but if Iím pushing it out to my students, Iím converting it to PDF or Docs first.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Google docs
Old 08-02-2020, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Iím with Tiamat on this one. A few years before I retired, our district jumped on the band wagon. Itís was all google documents all the time. No amount of talking could convince them that primary grades really had no use for it.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

I like Google
Old 08-02-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Because of my google drive. So much better than having it saved on my computer.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-02-2020, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
It's the most clunky, unintuitive, exasperating wordprocessor I've ever used
. I struggled with both google docs and sheets because I had used word products for years. I still prefer to use excel if I am actually manipulating data in a worksheet, however google has definitely made improvements to their products in the last several years.

Quote:
I agree that Word is superior to Docs in almost every way, but if Iím pushing it out to my students, Iím converting it to PDF or Docs first.
THIS! There is no reason to make the kids do the work. We all know it is hard enough to get them to do the work without making them work to do the work!

My p heard my complaint and I am going to present on our first day back. Whether the teacher likes it or not, I have transferred some of her postings to methods that students can use to respond using technology.

As the tech teacher my plan is get the kids on board with using things like Kami and Jamboard early on- but I am also going to be helping teachers get every student logged into their classrooms and using them for work. It won't be overnight, but most of the kids can do more than teachers expect them to do.

Now to get my presentation into something that helps teachers and helps families with the least amount of angst.

Sbkangas5

Old 08-02-2020, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
I hate Google Docs with the burning fire of a thousand suns. It's the most clunky, unintuitive, exasperating wordprocessor I've ever used, and I was working in that field in the 1970s. If Google can't do better, damn straight I'll be using a decent program (Word) and uploading that. Life is too short to wrestle with Google Docs.
This! 1000 times this! Glad I'm not the only one.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 08-03-2020, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It's like Google took perfectly fine programs and then crapped on them.

Google slides? Powerpoint is king.

I want to call Google and tell them, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It would be better if GSuite were compatible with MS.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 08-03-2020, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have to laugh whenever I hear people in the community say, The teachers are using this time to get trained for distance learning!

Uh, yeah, no. That's not happening. We're all out here reading blog posts and texting each other, trying to figure out what to do. The district is training us in nothing. They have nothing planned until the work week before kids start. Way too late, imo. And I get that they can't or won't offer training right now, because technically we are on summer break and they would have to pay us.

But it sure is a cluster.

*Also, PowerPoint is a thousand times better than Google Slides. The only good thing about Google Slides is the ability to share it and work together on it. (Though, working with little kids, that has a lot of downsides too!)
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

laydj2020

Old 08-05-2020, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
Uh, yeah, no. That's not happening. We're all out here reading blog posts and texting each other, trying to figure out what to do. The district is training us in nothing. They have nothing planned until the work week before kids start. Way too late, imo. And I get that they can't or won't offer training right now, because technically we are on summer break and they would have to pay us.

I totally agree with you on this!
laydj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-06-2020, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Our district is training us on Monday how to use google classroom and seesaw. Like beginner stuff. No training on what kind of stuff we should be using on them (like different than an in school situation). We start with kids on Wed. Next week.

I did get our prep day moved until the day after we learn what our priority standards are....
YoY

YoY

Wouldn't it be nice if...
Old 08-09-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Wouldn't it be nice if the training was offered online and you could take a "sneak peek" on your own time if you choose to preview before official paid training. Since it wouldn't be obligatory they wouldn't have to pay me, but I could get that head start if I chose to. Of course there is always the chance they will change things last minute, but not very likely to make such a major change as switching platforms and how they want it to be used.