Help

Intervention & Title I Services

IEP's and Title

>

LaVerne

IEP's and Title
Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How does your school handle students who are on IEP's and if they are or are not part of a Title group? In the past, before I took over the job 3 years ago, and since I began, my district has always had an
accepted' agreement that if a student went to the Resource Room for reading or receive aide help with reading, I should service a different student. My new principal feels that perhaps I should service --the resource student or aide student--as well. To me, this seems redundant and it would leave out those other students who are not getting any help at all but are needy.

Our state office says that Title can't be responsible for anything on the IEP, so wouldn't that be reading...I can't be expected to call the Resouce room and check daily what skills they are teaching and be sure not to do the same thing today.

My new principal is pretty receptive, but he wants to handled it right.

Any comments?? Thanks.

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

westwood

Can You Serve Both?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We discussed this at our last meeting and were told we could NOT serve a student who had an IEP on the subject (math or reading). In other words if they had an IEP and were served in Resource for reading, we could not serve them under Title. If they are on consult, it's a staffing decision.
I don't know if that's just our district policy or not, but they made it sound like it was a federal guideline.
Good luck!
westwood is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Depends on district
Old 08-31-2009, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In our very small district, our title teacher also includes sped kids within the classroom. This does not take the place of any IEP services, but is in addition to. She does not take any students out of the room, title nor sped.

Likewise, if an aide is helping an IEP student within the classroom, she may also help up to 3 other students since no where in our IEPs do we have anything that says it's only a 1:1 service (except for one kid who actually does have a 1:1 aide- she only does him 99% of the time.)
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

TitleMathCA

Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was under the impression that if you had an IEP you would not qualify for Title services (in a targeted-assistance school). So if you had an IEP for reading, you would not qualify for Title services in reading, but could qualify if you had a math Title program.

I thought that was part of the law...I could be wrong though...
TitleMathCA is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Aide help
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My situation is mostly for those kids who get LD aide help for reading. They are not in the resource room. I believe that I read the regulations to say that we (title) can't be responsible for anything that is a reading goal on an IEP...so if he/she is getting aide help for reading because of an IEP, I shouldn't service them. Written language, speech...yes...Math...yes...but as the title reading teacher, no.

Ugggh! Can't get a clear cut answer from my new principal and the state is vague as well. I need to go by my criterion worksheet and I have a long waiting list and it just seems to me that it makes more sense to get to the 'other' kids who have no one to help them and are in danger of falling through the cracks.

Thank you. Any other comments are most welcome.

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
we (title) can't be responsible for anything that is a reading goal on an IEP...so if he/she is getting aide help for reading because of an IEP,
This is where the interpretation comes in. In our district, title can't be in place of a sped service, nor is title responsible for that particular goal, but they can give the additional support. Again, this is my district, and I don't know what other districts do. It's one of the benefitis (or detriments) of a tiny district!

It is frustrating! Do you have a title coordinator?
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have been told by our Fed Programs Director it is supplanting (ie, "double dipping") to serve a student in Title I math or reading if his IEP goals are math or reading based.
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We also have been told that if a student is receiving academic help in resource we should not work with them. Problem is, our resource people don't do much and most teachers would prefer Title see them. With RTI in place we are qualifying fewer and fewer students for spec. ed, so eventually it probably won't be an issue.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

starjan97

Old 09-05-2009, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We very rarely serve students with Reading Goal pull out written in the IEP in Title groups. The only exception is if it is written on the IEP to be served by both the special ed teacher and Title. I have only seen this happen once and it was a special case.
starjan97 is offline   Reply With Quote