Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Teaching Good Retelling

>

reading rules

Teaching Good Retelling
Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district has switched to using the DRA2 for reading assessment. I like this new form of assessment, but am finding that the kids struggle with how to retell the story they have read. In the past, we have always asked different levels of questions about the text for the students to answer, and now we just say, "Start at the beginning, and tell me what happened in the story." I have been working a lot in my small groups on modelling retelling, we have used a retelling hand, and have looked at a Go-Chart for retelling, but my kids are still having difficulty retelling with details. The typical response is to go back through and tell the story again from the pictures, fixating on objects and things in the pictures. When I do ask questions, I can tell the students do comprehend the text, they are still just unsure of good retelling. Any other suggestions for teaching good retelling would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I've hit a wall, and I can't truly show the kiddos moving up through the DRA levels if they don't do good retellings. By the way, this is 2nd grade. Thanks in advance!

reading rules is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 12-22-2009, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've used a couple ideas for retelling that seem to help. The first one I use for a visual model. I have the children make a "flip" book. They fold a piece of paper lenghtwise (hot dog fold). Then they fold it into 4ths. Next they cut the top layer of the hot dog fold along the 4 folds. They label them characters, setting, problem, solution. They lift each flap and draw/write about each story element.

The one I like more, once the children get story elements in mind is something I read in Jan Richardson's new book, "The Next Step in Guided Reading". She uses the "Somebody Wanted But So ..." model. For example, one of the books I'm going to be using with some of my lower second graders when I go back is called "Night Wal" This is what I'm going to model:

Somebody (Alice)
Wanted (wanted to have a sluber party for her birthday)
But (but their apartment was too small)
So (Grandma called all of Alice's friends to have them meet at the zoo for a night walk party/picnic).

This gives the students a good foundation for the story retell and guided writing.

Hope this sparks some more ideas.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote