Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Poll: Kindergarten and Title I

>

TeacherKari

Poll: Kindergarten and Title I
Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school is reconsidering our criteria for our kindergarten students.
We currently don't serve kindergartners until the 4th quarter begins.
We are thinking of moving that back.

Please share what your school does and perhaps some of the thinking
behind that decision.

I want to come to my next meeting with some ideas.

Thanks!!

TeacherKari is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiley1985

Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At my at risk school, our Title Teacher worked with every Kindergartener from the beginning of school. For the most part, every child was being seen by their classroom teacher and the Title teacher. This lasted until Winter Dibels. After the Dibels, only "red and yellow" kiddos were service for the most part.

I loved this and I would highly recommend it. We had so many children come into Kindergarten without the skills that we would like to see. I feel like our school acted proactively and we had positive results.
Smiley1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

bluesasha19

We see kids at the beginning
Old 05-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This year, we serviced about 30 of the 60 students at the beginning of K. After winter DIBELS we were down to about 12. Early Intervention is key and we had great results.
bluesasha19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

working with kindergarten
Old 05-15-2010, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our school, we had not worked with kindergarten for many years. This year we went back to working with them from the very beginning (using DIBELS and teacher referral) and what a difference it made! At the end of the year, we gave those students we worked with in Title the Concepts About Print, Letter ID, and Hearing and Recording Sounds in Words (3 of the subtests we used to ID students for Reading Recovery) and a few of them did better than some of our first graders! It makes me wonder if we had done this last year, where those low, low first graders would be. At any rate, we plan on continuing this next year.

Having said that, we also have to consider that half of the kindergarten students we saw this year were in full day kindergarten. They are the ones that made the most gains, but one section of 1/2 day K did quiate well too.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 05-15-2010, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In the school I was at last year, not many of our kids had attended preschool or had much literacy/numeracy interaction at home. As a result, many came to kindergarten not used to any kind of routine at all.

We took September just to get most everyone used to the routine of school (all-day kinder), then gave them a basic PALs screening. Those in the utmost bottom of skills got Title I intervention going by mid-October (about 20 kids).

Of those 20 or so, only about 5 needed intervention all year- the rest caught up soon just being read to every day at school, practicing letter formation, using Earobics phonics software. The other 15 or so stayed in Title I until just after winter break. This freed up more slots in other grade levels.

bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

K and Title 1
Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My school served Kindergarteners with Title I and/or RTI from about mid-September. on -- we too have our share that come in with no preschool/school experience -- and we found that we needed a few weeks to get them settled. (We start school at the beginning of August!) It really made a difference with them -- I'm sure we'll do the same thing in the coming school year.
IA11 is online now   Reply With Quote

Meteach

Full day K but
Old 06-19-2010, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

with many kids having had no preschool. We dibel all K students in late Sept. and determine the lowest ( we have benchmarks for fall, winter and spring) and some get progress monitored every 2 weeks.

Both the Title One staff and the teacher work with these children but it is Title One staff that does the pull out intervention everyday in small group. Our K kids were almost all at level 3 DRA by the end of this year. I say get 'em early....they are little sponges!
Meteach is offline   Reply With Quote