How do you base your grades in math and science? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fourth Grade

How do you base your grades in math and science?

>

Hideeho

How do you base your grades in math and science?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If this is a repeat post for me, please excuse. I know I typed one up, but can't seem to find it now.

I have not used what I would call "traditional" grading since my experience has been in first grade and intervention (didn't grade at all).

I know that the 5th grade teachers with whom I worked last year all did their grades somewhat differently.

Some counted homework one way, some figured it differently. Some teachers gave extra credit, others didn't.

How do you grade homework?

How would you grade work completed in a Guided Math classroom, i.e. working with the teacher, whole group instruction, work stations, etc.

Tests, quizzes - how do I figure these?

Projects?

Labs or experiments in science?

I really don't know decent questions to ask

TIA!

Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

mizzreadalot

Old 07-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You district may tell you exactly what percentage to count what things. I have been in districts like that in the past. Right now my district mandates that I take at least 12 grades in math a six weeks and 6 grades in science each six weeks. (We can take more but not less.) We are not allowed to grade homework for a grade in the gradebook. I assign homework and the students and I check it together in class the next morning. I have never taken a grade on homework simply because I do not know who is actually completing it. I have had parents and older siblings do the homework and this does not actually reflect what the student is capable of. I also count test and quizzes the exact same as a daily grade, but this is just me. I know some of my kids are not test takers. The principal before this one had us give at least 3 tests in each subject each six weeks and they counted 25% of the average.

I also count the labs and experiments the same as a daily grade. If I am doing a major project that takes a lot of time. I do place the grade in the gradebook maybe 2 or 3 times depending on the length and complex nature of the project. Basically I try to keep grading very simple, I don't do weights and percentages. If I think something is extra special I just write it in the grade book 2 times. I just take the grades from the things I think are important and reflect the standards that my students have to master.
mizzreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

grading
Old 07-18-2010, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Overall, we just use points. Homework and quizzes are less points than projects and tests.

How do you grade homework?one point (checkmark system)

How would you grade work completed in a Guided Math classroom, i.e. working with the teacher, whole group instruction, work stations, etc.
unless it is independent work no "grade" is given , simply a checkmark for completed

Tests, quizzes - how do I figure these?
Tests are worth more points than quizzes-I often give small 5 point quizzes throughout a unit to check understanding in a formative way

Projects?
I have rubrics with point values.

Labs or experiments in science?
points assigned to the form we use
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

collteach

Old 07-19-2010, 03:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have never given a grade for homework in the 4th grade. Both schools where I taught 4th grade requested that homework not be graded, and our report cards had a "Work Habits" section that allowed us to address issues with incomplete homework. I have never been given any requirements about what "weight" each type of assignment (test, quiz, project) would carry, so I would often count tests/projects as more than one grade to give them a bit more weight. Rubrics are so helpful for projects, labs, etc. When I assign a project, even if we are doing the majority of it in class, I send home a copy of the project description and the rubric for parents to read and sign. I feel this helps the parents stay informed, and it eliminates some of that "night before the due date" rushing around to get the projects done (although sadly, that still happens on occasion).
collteach is offline   Reply With Quote