Help

ARCHIVE

Common courtesy- changing rooms

>

mls

Common courtesy- changing rooms
Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm changing rooms again this year (3rd time) and I'm noticing a trend... the teachers leaving the room will leave behind a bunch of crap instead of finding out where to put it (they have all switched grades and I'm not in the same grade level). Seriously? When I leave the room, I clear out EVERYTHING or ask the teacher moving in if they want things. This is my 2nd day working in my new room and I still cannot understand why someone would just assume that someone else will clean up/ throw away the old stuff and take things off the walls. I've also been in rooms where the person has retired and left everything from notebooks with notes inside to used up chart paper. I find it a bit rude .

Has anyone else noticed this? What happened to being nice?

mls is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

cleaning
Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had friends complain of that too. I was lucky when I moved into my room 2 years ago they only things left were construction paper and posters. But I had a friend who moved into a room and the filing cabinet was still filled with really really old papers and all sorts of junk. So then she had to clean it out before moving in her own files.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If possible, find a cart on wheels, load it up with the person's "crap" and deliver it to their new room. (oh, and don't leave the cart behind).
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tisa

Changing Rooms
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I haven't personally experienced this, but some of my friends have. I'm helping one of them move to a new room in our building, and she mentioned that there was a lot of things left behind. If I was moving and having someone else move into my room, I would definately clear things out, because I would want someone to do the same for me.
Tisa is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've moved three times. I've always left behind any thing that I found in the room to begin with. I guess someone could be upset that I left things, but I always felt it was wrong to take anything that wasn't mine.

anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

mizzreadalot

Old 07-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Maybe they thought they were being nice by leaving things for you to use. I have moved into rooms with nothing and I would have loved to have something left behind for me to use.
mizzreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote

m3g

Old 07-26-2010, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My first few rooms were disasters when I moved in. The one I just moved in to was spic and span shiny. Everything was dusted and organized.

But-the teacher moving out is a good friend.

I took everything out of the room I moved from short of classroom library and curriculum materials. Everything else was taken, dumped, or put on our "free" table in the work room.

I didn't dust.
m3g is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug03

????
Old 07-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Why doesn't the principal or administration make sure these teachers clean out things properly????

That is rude! I would not do that to someone!!!
Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Ladybug
Old 07-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Ladybug- I so agree with you. I read many of these posts about teachers moving into rooms full of junk and I wonder where the admin is! Leaving stuff behind in a room would never ever fly in my district. The admin would force teachers to clear it out and besides that it is an expectation that you don't leave unwanted junk behind.
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

I don't get it either
Old 07-26-2010, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree. One of the teachers who had my room before me left her diplomas on the wall. She isn't even at the school anymore. HELLO!? Don't you want those?

On the other hand, when I got my first teaching job the teacher who had my room moved down the hall. She didn't want to move, she was forced to move.

She took everything including all the chalkboard erasers! She even switched the desks because the ones in her room were nicer. I got a broken bookshelf and broken desks. I had to scrounge around the school to find furniture for my room.

There has to be some kind of happy medium.

h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

mAanda

I've also
Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

left things that were in the room to begin with, plus any supplies that belonged to the grade/school and not to me personally. In the last room I was in, that meant a full cupboard of science supplies, all the math manipulatives, and all of the teacher texts. I also left one cupboard of stuff I wasn't going to use (I was going on mat leave), but it was all together in two boxes. It was assorted craft stuff etc. I told the new teacher coming in she was welcome to look through it, and pitch what she didn't want, but she was thrilled, as she was coming in from high school and had nothing.
mAanda is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

difference
Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think there's a big difference between leaving behind things that aren't yours or were bought with school money or might be useful (construction paper, games, books, etc) and leaving behind junk b/c you're too lazy to throw it out yourself! Our administration checks rooms when we leave at the end of the year, but they don't look in drawers so it would be easy to leave behind hidden junk if someone chose to.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

mossgirl9

Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Those kinds of things would never happen in my district. Everything has to be cleared out of the room, before we can check out and leave for the Summer.
mossgirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. Fifth

Moving
Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When we move, no matter if it is within the building or to another school, we may only take personal stuff. Even if we ordered something we use daily with school funds, it must stay behind. We must also leave all supplies behind.
Mr. Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote

DragonLady09

worst yet
Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've got a tale that is the worst yet. I moved into a room after a teacher who was a complete slob/party animal. She left packages from the McDonald's in the cabinets complete with pieces of dried up burger and stale, hard fries in the cabinets and desk. There was all sorts of trash and food items stuck in places you wouldn't expect to find anything. It was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. She had been forced to resign so maybe that was her way of getting back at the school.
DragonLady09 is offline   Reply With Quote

mls

Ladybug
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The principal is awesome, but doesn't get involved with those kinds of things. The custodians end up helping with room issues. It's kind of weird. He doesn't get inbetween "teacher issues" until it gets bad. She also left behind 10 baskets of books (expensive Target ones!) on the floor. They were purchased by her. She didn't know if she wanted them in the new room (upper elem) or was taking them home, when we spoke on the last day of school. There they sat when I came in last week. Laziness. I moved them to an empty room down the hall. The sight of them were making me more irritated- and they were in my way!

I think it comes down to respect and lack of concern for anyone else. It's a shame because she is young and has been burning bridges all over the place.
mls is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I could have written this!

Yes, there's a difference in leaving supplies/curriculum/etc and leaving old stuff that should have been tossed long ago, unusable crap, as someone else put it. Heh.
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Me too
Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I moved into my first classroom the first day of school. It was a first grade classroom and was teaching third grade. Teacher went out on Maternity Leave and then did not come back. Lots of stuff left. My students used 1st grade chairs that year.

2nd Classroom following year. Not quite so bad. At least it was a third grade classroom. I had been having trouble with a drawer this year, so finally at the end of the year, I pulled it out and found a game way in the back. I 'm not sure who it was left from, but it wasn't mine. I was nice both times, I followed directions. I cleaned everything, took staples out of the walls, etc..

3rd Classroom this coming school year. Supposedly in "Perfect Condition." This according to the AP (the Principal doesn't do anything). Yet, I went in there. There was sticky stuff (like soda spilled on it-inviting Ants) on a set of cubbies, staples and bits of colored paper all over the wall. Then I opened the closets a ton of crap in there manipulatives for probably the entire primary grades. The room had been used as a storage area the year before, so I am sure most of the crap in there was not hers. Still frustrating and she still could have cleaned. She moved to a different district.

Administration-that is a joke!
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

can't help you now,
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

but here's a suggestion for anyone, for the future.

prevention, or avoiding the problem to begin with would be my tack. i would ask the principal or janitor (or bring it up at a staff meeting or send an email to one of the 2 above CCing entire staff) asking what the move-out protocol should be. exactly what should be left in the room? that way it would be even and fair for all.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote