Please share how you organize supplies coming in and seats for first day - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Please share how you organize supplies coming in and seats for first day

>

I ♥ cats

Please share how you organize supplies coming in and seats for first day
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Many of my students will bring in supplies at our "Meet The Teacher" event. Some of these supplies are individual and some are community. I don't have a big problem with the community ones - I set up an area of the room to drop each of those off and then store them later. However, every year I debate on student seats - names? no names? let kids choose a desk? They have to have someplace to put their supplies. Then there is the first day of school, when even more supplies are brought in. I know someone here on PT has a great idea for organizing this process. Please share!

I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

ecse129

Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always have the names on the desks when the kids come in for back to school night. They love finding their desk. Then they put their supplies in their desk and get it organized how they want it. Then when they come in the first day, they are ready to go. I am lucky that most of my kids make it to back to school night with all of their supplies. Only a few of them have to do it the first day of school.
ecse129 is offline   Reply With Quote

ecse129

Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Also, I don't even mess with the community supplies at bts night. I wait and collect them the first day of school so that way they aren't going through all of their supplies at BTS night in order to separate the community stuff. I do collect some of the big stuff on BTS night, like Clorox wipes and Kleenex boxes.
ecse129 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The process I have used the last 3 years is slightly chaotic but I have not found a better way to do it.
First we don't have an 'open house' and I dont do community supplies really. Students come the first day of school with all their supplies.
After they come in and announcements I get right to organizing supplies. I have their nametags on their desks and that is their desk, I do not let them pick that just adds to chaos and wandering around.

I then get them all to do the same thing at once. "Row 1 walk your kleenex box to the back shelf" Row 2 etc

"Take 3 pencils out and put them in your desk." They put all their extra supplies in a ziploc bag with their name that I then store in a bin.
Take out 1 gluestick etc

For duotangs I colour co ordinate. Bring one red duotang and place in Social Studies bin
etc

I hope this made sense
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The supplies I collect have signs around the room for the students to drop them off during Meet the Teacher night. Then I tell them to put everything else in their desk and we will take care of it on the first day of school. Kids who don't come to Meet the Teacher night just keep all their supplies in their bookbag. The only thing they need to get started is a pencil, which I already have on their desk for them.
I try to teach organization skills by helping the kids set up an organized desk by putting things away neatly.

As for nametags...I tape the name tags down with a small piece of masking tape. Then on the first day when I see the kids sitting at their desk I move any kids who need to shorter/taller desk (desks in my classroom are not all one height because kids are not all one height). Then when I have the kids in a desk that fits them, I will go back and attach their nametag with electrical tape.

Then while the kids are working on the couple of things that I have on their desk, I collect things that I want from those kids who didn't come to Meet the Teacher night.

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Haven't decided yet...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our BTS night last year was after we'd been in school for about 2 weeks. So on the first day of school, I let my 6th graders choose their desks. They always chose next to their friends so I had an immediate insight into where some of the cliques were. I also thought it helped to break the ice a little.

I have 4th graders this year so I might set their desks up with names and everything already. I don't have many community supplies, so that's not a big concern for me.
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

DixieDaisy

back to school
Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have Open House a few days before the first day. I let students and their parents choose their seats with the caveat that I will change seats as needed. I get an insight into the parents' thinking. "I want you to sit up front so you can see better." "No, I don't want you to sit next to _____." "This looks like a quiet seat to help you get your work finished this year." "You need a seat by your teacher." This is how I learned that one of mine was deaf in one year last year. Some students bring their supplies and stock their desks at this time. I have a table set up for the baby wipes, Kleenexes, Clorox wipes, etc.
After OH is finished, I attach the name plates on the desks. Those who didn't come to OH are assigned a seat.
DixieDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Supplies
Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hello! I teach Kindergarten and we have tables instead of desks, so I'll focus on your supplies issue.

I really like the idea that someone on PT gave me last year. I asked the grocery store (Publix) if I could have a class set of big brown paper bags (and could have cared less to part with them - they were very nice! ). Now, last year I put each student's name on a bag and set them up in a corner of the room. As students came in on day one they just unloaded their backpacks into their brown bag. This worked great cause it was really quick! BUT I found myself regretting it when I was at school till six o'clock sorting out everyone's supplies in order to organize them and put them away!

This year I'm going to write the name of the SUPPLY on the brown bag. Everyone will keep everything in their backpacks until its time to sort. Then students will have an independent activity while each table takes turns taking out their stuff and comes up and puts in in the matching brown bag (since I teach K, I'm going to set an example of each supply in front of the bag).
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

dite

Supplies
Old 08-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have areas marked where children should put their things. Open house is so busy that this gives the students and parents something to do if I can't get to them right away.
I let students place their nametags where they want to sit. It seems to make the first day less stressful. Then they get moved to new desks after a few days.
dite is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2lern

Use the parents
Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Since we don't have a meet the teacher night before school starts, I take care of supplies on the first day before the parents leave.

I teach first, so the parents usually stay until you tell them it's time for them to go. I start by having boxes outside for community supplies (kleenex, glue sticks, antibacterial wipes, etc.). I then announce to the parents and children that the parents will come in the room to help their child find their desk and open all the packages of pencils, erasers, scissors, and whatever else they've brought in from the list that was sent home with report cards the previous year. That way I am not stuck running around the room opening packages and waste time! This year I will have 30 students and I cannot be responsible for getting all of that done! I have also had parents help their children choose from the 2 folders they purchased which would be for homework and which for classwork. Parents had to write their child's name in the folder so I could make a label for each folder.

I also take these few minutes at the beginning of the first day to find out which kids go to after school care, have a brother or sister who will pick them up, or will be picked up by mom or dad. Are they buying lunch? How I like the snack and lunch separated, etc.

It sounds like a lot but it only takes about 10 minutes and it would take me a lot longer on my own. I hope this is helpful and not overwhelming.

luv2lern is offline   Reply With Quote

elisab1963

Supplies
Old 08-03-2010, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We don't have any kind of meeting before the first day of school. So the students come in with their backpacks filled with supplies. A couple of years ago I thought why am I letting supplies drive my day? So now I just have them put their backpacks on their desk and come up to the rug. I already know exactly where each thing will go, so later I have them dump everything out at their desk. I do one thing at a time, and they bring it to the collection spot or put it in their desks. This also lets me see who has what. I make it a following directions activity, and may have students assist in the organizing of things such as tissue boxes.
elisab1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

newmommie2

Meet Teacher day & supplies
Old 08-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have a meet a teacher day where about half the students bring in their supplies. I don't separate them up until the 1st day when everyone has their supplies. We do have individual supplies and community supplies.
Organizing the supplies does consume a big part of the day, but it enables the students to see where the supplies go, what they are used for and how to stay organized.

On meet the teacher day, I let them pick their own seats. I put post-it notes at each seat (we have tables) and then before the first day of school, I put name tags at the seats they picked. The students love picking their seats because they can sit by someone they know and feel comfortable. :-)
newmommie2 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

First Day supplies
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have name plates on their desks with an activity to keep them busy and a box of books. I have already assigned them a class number. When they come in I have them take their backpack and all of their supplies and hang them on their hook with their number. While they are working I call them to work with me in sorting through their supplies and putting them away. This also helps them to know where we keep things.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

jcbsmom

First Day
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We don't have a Back to School Night until about two weeks into the school year. On the first day of school I have all the needed supplies loaded into each desk and a name tag on top. For probably the first week I have the children sitting in alphabetical order by first name. That allows me the time to learn the roster for the year as well as putting names to faces. As for children bringing their own supplies...nope, doesn't happen. Our children usually will have a backpack but anything else is more than likely supplied by the school (read that, ME, shopping at the Back to School sales).
jcbsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

snickydog

Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach first. We have an Open House before school starts but students do not bring supplies at that time. They bring crazy amounts of Target bags and the like on the first day! I do have desks labeled with cheap ($1 spot) nametags taped down with a loop of masking tape during Open House. This way the students can find their seats before school starts, which decreases anxiety. I note students who didn't show to Open House, because they may be transferring out. I wait until the second week of school to put out my good nametags, since that allows for kids to come in and out of the classroom based on room changes/transfers easily.

I have students just put their backpacks on the backs of their chairs the first day, since they're usually full of supplies. After doing a read aloud at the rug, I have students return to their desks to work on a simple packet of materials (dot to dot, coloring pages) while I help tables organize their materials. I spread out a few bankers boxes for large materials and Sterilite containers for smaller items along the front of the room. I have a label that matches the item on the front, and I'll put one item as an example in each container. The students can easily match their items to the container. For folders and notebooks, I help them get their name labels (I make them after Open House) on each, and those go into table crates until we label them together with the subject.
snickydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Teacher#1

Too Much At Once
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I like to kick start some lessons on the first day, usually with 2 to 3 read alouds so I truly don't like spending half the morning organizing supplies.

So, I do it throughout the day. I have the students place their bags behind their desks . Throughout the day I will call students, by table, to bring specific supplies to place in crates. I collect the large community items first, like paper towel, soap, ect.

I send them back to work a bit on the name word Search I gave them that morning but purposely did not allow them to finish for this purpose of collecting supplies. I then quickly put the supplies away then jump right in to another activity with the kids. This takes maybe a total of 3 sessions. I do it in the morning, before & after lunch. By afternoon, all supllies are not only collected put stored away with lessons completed without me feeling overwhelmed.

I use the last period to have them now organize the personal items that are left into their desk. The second day I use 2 sessions to just label their notebooks and folders. (Of course, I do have them label their HW folder and notebook the first day since they do need to take it home that day)

Everything can not be done the first day & I only just accepted that last year when my wonderful first day activities & lessons were cut short by collecting, sorting, & organizing their supplies.
Ms. Teacher#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

PAJess888

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have a meet the teacher night before school begins and I let the kids choose their seat that night. They write their name on a nametag with a dry erase marker and choose their desk.

They bring supplies the first day and I write a list on the board that tell them which ones to put on the table and which ones to keep at their desk (like pencil bags/folders). Of course, I assist as they come in, which allows to me to ohhh and awww at all their shiny new supplies, shoes, outfits, etc.

When they have their backpacks in the cubby, I have a word search on their desk and they already know where to go since they picked their seat.

I change their seat after the first 2 weeks.
PAJess888 is offline   Reply With Quote