BusyBoard

Relationship between MI and Learning Styles

>

beachbumteach

Relationship between MI and Learning Styles
Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!
How would you explain that multiple intelligences and learning styles are related? I thought these two were very similar, but I am a bit confused. Thanks for clarifying!!

beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2reach

Learning Styles and MI
Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found an article that makes a connection, but I'm not sure I agree with it entirely.

"Learning styles are ways of learning. A preferred learning style is the way in which a student learns best, which reflects the relative strengths or weaknesses of that student’s underling cognitive (learning) skills. Different scholars use different learning style categories. Multiple Intelligence (MI) theory maintains that there are at least seven learning styles (“intelligences”): interpersonal, intra-personal, body/kinesthetic, visual/spatial, logical/mathematical, verbal/linguistic, and musical/rhythmic (D. Lazear, 1991). Some academic organizations trim this list to a basic two: logical/mathematical and verbal/linguistic. For purposes of this article and in accordance with the majority of today’s educational literature, we’ll focus on the following simplified list of three learning styles: Auditory, Visual, and Tactile." http://www.learningrx.com/learning-styles.htm

I think you can make generalizations, but I don't think the connections can be 100% true for every student. For example, I don't think you can say that all musical/rhythmic students will learn best through auditory activities. In most cases, that is probably true, but some musical students may learn best by seeing the information (visual) or by physically playing with manipulatives (tactile).

Basically, I think MI and Learning Styles are two totally different things. The theory of Multiple Intelligences identifies what students are good at or where their interests lie. While Learning Styles focus on how the student best learns new information.

HTH
teach2reach is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Aha moment
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went to a workshop this summer on strategies to teach students "how" to learn. We teach for 7 hours a day, but never actually spend much time teaching them how to internalize the information. Here is the information I posted before on a another thread. Hope it makes sense.

I'm a brain research/function addict. I was at a workshop this summer and had a HUGE "aha moment."

Your brain has a modality preference on how to INPUT the information. The three INPUT modalities are:
visual
auditory
kinesthetic

Then, your brain has to process the information. This is done one of two ways:
right brained
left brained

Finally, to make sense of it all, we OUTPUT the information. This can be done through the 8 multiple intelligences. Yes, there are more than 8, but these are the most common and most prevalent. I remember them through the acronym "SLIM 'N BIL."
-Spatial-Visual
-Linguistic-Verbal
-Interpersonal
-Musical-Rhythmic
-Naturalist
-Bodily-Kinesthetic
-Intrapersonal
-Logical-Mathematical

I had always heard about each theory, but never really understood how (or that they even did in the first place) they interacted and related.

Sorry for the long post, but thought I'd pass along my "aha."
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

Wow
Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Amanda,
Thanks so much for your explanation! That makes SO much more sense now! I enjoyed reading the post!
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote