Help

BusyBoard

Putting down nametags

>

froggy1433k

Putting down nametags
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you put down nametags on the desk? Inthe past, I have laminated them and then velcroed them down. II have those students who love to take them off and on...off and on. The noise drives me crazy!!!!!!

Please let me know what you do thatis the easiest for you and just as easy to clean up at the end of the yr!!!!!

froggy1433k is offline   Reply With Quote

blantoh

contact paper
Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a friend that makes mine and counts it as volunteer hours for her work. I laminate them and then put them down with clear contact paper. I tried Velcro once. I had the same on/off problem, the sticky left a sticky residue on the desks that was hard to get off, and materials, like text books, got stuck under them and then they were a crinkled mess. The clear contact paper doesn't leave a residue like clear packing tape.
blantoh is offline   Reply With Quote

froggy1433k

contact paper
Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh thanks. That is good to know!!!!! Does the contact paper come off easily at the end of the year?
froggy1433k is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyM

Old 08-06-2010, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used clear contact and it does not stay stuck down. The kids constantly pick at it. I do use the clear packing tape. The kids don't pick at as much. When it is time to remove, I get some Goo Gone and the gummy stuff comes right off.
SuzyM is offline   Reply With Quote

pro/new2grade

Old 08-06-2010, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the idea of the contact paper! Do you find that it sticks enough? I guess I would worry that the students would constantly pull it up and then I would have to replace it often. Did it last through the year?

pro/new2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

MapleLeaves

Contact Paper
Old 08-06-2010, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's a lot of work to get them all stuck down with Contact Paper (easier than packing tape though), but it works and will look good all year...IF you are consistent in stopping the pickers when you see them! They will need lots of reminders. There will still be some who pick and so their tag will need "touch ups." You can cut off the no more sticky spots and cover them up again.
MapleLeaves is offline   Reply With Quote

mls

Packing tape, but...
Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

in kindergarten they still find a way to pull it off and chew on it (gross!). I think it happens during writer's workshop. It's the only time they actually have time to sit there opposed to a hands-on activity. I tried velcro and that was an invitation to pull it off . By January last year, I had no name tags. They all knew how to write their name and I moved seats around a lot.
mls is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeBoBo

Done with nametags!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I gave up on the nametags years ago. I was tired of the kids constantly writing on them and picking on them - and scraping them off at the end of the year.

Now I just write their names right on the desk with a Sharpie!
It comes off with alcohol or an eraser. Honestly, by the end of the year, it's almost worn off anyway. So much easier!
DeeBoBo is offline   Reply With Quote

zoeluv

Old 08-06-2010, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This year, I will be putting name tags on their desks, but I am not going to write their names on the tags. (I use packing tape) I want them to have the helpers on the tag, but it is much easier to switch seats if they don't move the desks. We stay in pods all year anyway, so what is the point of moving all desks around the room to just end up in the same configuration? This way, they will just take all the stuff out of their desks and relocate. I will probably write their name and number on the desk with a Sharpie.
zoeluv is offline   Reply With Quote

shoppingmomma

I use...
Old 08-06-2010, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

packing tape. I teach third grade and contact paper (for me) seems to be "gummier." I give the kids a reward (full size candy bar, etc) if they can go all year without picking at the tape.

shoppingmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

god123

Name tags
Old 08-06-2010, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use the precut nametag strips from Really Good Stuff. They work well and are easy to put down. Last year I told the kids I would give them a reward if their nametags were in fair conditon at the end of the year. I reminded them often in the beginning. Over half the class was was rewarded at the end of the year.
god123 is offline   Reply With Quote

ritabook2

Hot glue
Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I laminate mine and put a line of hot glue on each end. They stay down well, and pop right off with no sticky residue! The kids do pick at them, but they are easy to glue right back down. I would check them about once a month, leave a treat on the desks of those that were still stuck and glue down the few that weren't. I love it!
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsSusko

Magnets
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I laminate mine and stick them to the front or side of their desks. It's easier for me to learn their names, and it makes it easy for subs and other visitors to call on the students. Also, the students don't really play with them because they aren't staring at them all day!
MrsSusko is offline   Reply With Quote

NKOTBFan

Velcro Dots work for me!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I use 3 velcro dots to hold them on the desk. I like that I can hear the velcro if they are playing with them. My rule is that if I hear the velcro your name plate is mine for the rest of the day. If it is a continuous problem for a student then I take their name plate for several weeks. They usually miss not having it as we use it to review several skills (skip counting, spelling color words, etc....) throughout the week with them.
I usually don't have to take them more than once.

Last edited by NKOTBFan; 08-06-2010 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: spelling
NKOTBFan is offline   Reply With Quote

doodle730

Mauvalus tape
Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I use Mauvalus tape to hold my nametags down. It holds better than packing tape (in my opinion), and leaves absolutely no residue when you pull it up. Check your local teacher supply store; they should carry it.
doodle730 is offline   Reply With Quote

blocker

Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I buy the magnetic name tags and just slap them on their desks. I used all of the other ways to keep name tags on their desks but they always pick at them, write on them, color them, etc. If you don't have access to the magnetic ones, I have also used scrapbooking strips of paper and then attach magnets to the back of them. That works okay, but some magnets don't stay attached for the full year. This sure beats scrubbing and scraping all that glue adhesive off at the end of the year! Good luck!
blocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Transparency Film & Scotch Packing Tape
Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I photocopy my nametags onto transparency film and then tape it down with the Scotch packing tape. They look really crisp and clean and the Scotch brand packing tape (the one with the blue writing on it) is a little bit thicker so it's pretty easy to use. I did have drawing/picking with mine last year, but I didn't really set any expectations with the nametags. This year I will be giving treats if nametags are beautiful at the end of each quarter/semester/year (haven't decided).
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reader

Sharpie
Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I got tired of making and laminating name tags, so I use a sharpie as well.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Mizzou fan

A sharpie??
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

who knew?

The kids design theirs, then I laminate them

I may just have to try that. I have a silver sharpie, I may let the kids write their names. they would think that would be soooo cool!
thanks DeeBoBo
Mizzou fan is offline   Reply With Quote

MAteach

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I use packing tape as well. Although there are a few students who color all over in with their Expo marker when we're using slates for math. That drives me crazy, but for the most part, they're fine. I change the tags every trimester.
MAteach is offline   Reply With Quote

royals

velcro
Old 08-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I use the velcro. My nametags are laminated. On the first day of school, I have the children all pull it off and hear the noise it makes. I then tell them that since they now know what it sounds like, they do not need to do it anymore. I have never had a problem and have done velcro for 4 years now. I change the nametags every month (as well as their seats) to match our theme/season and the velcro makes it easier to do this. I change I previously used contact paper and didn't like the dirt that would get under the pealed up edges.
royals is offline   Reply With Quote

minmam

Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I use a black sharpie and write names at their table space. Don't worry, it comes off easily w/cleaner.
minmam is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have used packing tape the past several years. Yes, it does leave residue, but it's always been my students' job during the last week of school to scrub their desks. I always have 2 or 3 students who actually ask if they can go around and scrape the remaining junk off the desks.

This year, I finally caved and bought the clear holders (not sure what they are actually called) from Really Good Stuff. What I'm hoping for is that they stick the whole year and maybe for 2 or 3 years. It's going to be an experiment, but they were fairly expensive and I just want to get my use out of them.

If not, I do like the idea of using hot glue. I also give them an incentive that the person with the nicest and newest looking nametag at the end of the year gets a prize. It works everytime and I always have a handful of kids with practically new nametags.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

WordyCrayon

Ritabook
Old 08-07-2010, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I love the monthly check idea... I'm in Kinder so I'm thinking of a desk fairy who mysteriously leaves treats. I think the kids will love that.

My tables are dark so I don't think using a sharpie would work. I'm definitely going to try the hot glue. Thanks for the great ideas!
WordyCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote

MNTeacher2

Clearview Name Plate Pockets
Old 08-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I have been using these clearview name plate pockets for a few years now. I used to use contact paper or packing tape, but these last longer than tape/contact paper. They adhere to the desk with a sticky backing and you can switch name plates, if needed, without pulling of the pocket. The price is $10.00 for 25 name plate pockets.

http://www.callowayhouse.com/proddet...u=88153&skip=1

Really Good Stuff also has these, but they are more expensive (I think they are called "sleeves").
MNTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

So glad that I looked back at this post. I spent $50+ last summer on 3 packs of the sleeves from Really Good Stuff. I had hoped they would last more than one school year too with having spent that huge sum of money. But nooooooooooo! They lasted about 3/4 of the way through this past school year.

I just bought a pack of these from Calloway House and saved so much more money! RGS should not be charging that much for something that is not stronger quality. Hmph!
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote