Help

BusyBoard

Instead of bathroom passes....

>

teachlife

Instead of bathroom passes....
Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read about someone having a "where are you" board instead of taking bathroom passes. I am grossed out by kids taking passes to the bathroom... long story. So, I think I read on here about a board with a few library pockets labeled "bathroom" "drink" "office" "nurse" etc and the kids have index cards with their names or numbers on it and when they go somewhere the just put their index card in the correct pocket, and when they return to the room they put their card back. Does this make sense, I am not sure if I'm explaining it very well?

Anyway, do you think this is a good idea? What are some negatives about this system? Does anyone else use it? Thank you

teachlife is offline   Reply With Quote

joeylena

Simple
Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That sounds easy. I have also heard of using rubber duckies. The students place them on their desks before leaving room. Thought that was cute.
joeylena is offline   Reply With Quote

poodles

hall passes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the idea of having a "where are you" board in the room so you know where they are. However, our students must have a pass with them in the hallway so that if someone sees them, they know they have permission to be in the hallway!
poodles is offline   Reply With Quote

janne

ewww...bathroom passes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds good. I use a sheet of paper in a page protector and have it magnetized (is that a word?!) on my white board. I have the student names/numbers running down one column and at the top I have categories like Office, Restroom, Another Teacher. When students leave they take a "Girl" magnet or a "Boy" magnet and put it under the correct column by their name. I bought these tiny magnets that look like tacks at the teacher supply for the "girl and boy" magnets. I have two pink and two blue, to make sure I don't have most of my kids at the restroom
janne is offline   Reply With Quote

teachergurl

Passes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a large "B", "G" and 2 "L"s that I got from Hobby Lobby and painted. The kids put those on the their desk so when they are gone I can look up and see who is at the bathroom and library.

teachergurl is offline   Reply With Quote

GBickel

bathroom passes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am trying out this idea this year.
I have a basket near the door with a little pink bear and a little blue bear. I also have a sign out sheet and the digital clock there and some sanitizer. The child signs their name and time out and takes the bear and puts on his/her desk. When the child returns, they put some sanitizer on his/her hands, sign the time in, and return the bear to the basket.
GBickel is offline   Reply With Quote

elisab1963

Bathroom
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tried something really simple with my second graders last year, and it worked well. I decorated two small cones "boy" and "girl" and hung them up. When someone used the bathroom, they put the cone on their desk. This worked well because two people could not go at the same time, and I could see the cones from anywhere in the room. This also worked for visiting classes and when we switched.
elisab1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tonya0581

hall passes...YUCK
Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think hall passes are NASTY

They set them on the floor and such...ewww!

I have always had a sign in/sign out book! This has worked great for me!
Tonya0581 is offline   Reply With Quote

ShirleyHolmes

passes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Always get so gross!!!! I use bottles of hand sanitizer. One says "boy" and the other says "girl". They just put it on their desk when they leave, use a pump and return it when they get back. That way I know they've always at least washed their hands. I'm thinking about using a clip board for them to record time in and out so I can see how frequently they go too, but I haven't completely thought that through yet.
ShirleyHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

passes
Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a laminated "I'll be right back" pass that is placed on their desk when the leave, but I also have a clothespin attached. Our students need a pass when they leave the room. I teach them to attach the clothespin to their sleeve. This way they do not have to put it down anywhere, and it is out of the way.

K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Yuck!!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also am totally grossed out by passes. I thought kids had to have a pass in my school (elementary), but no one really enforced it for the restroom. The nurse was the only one who was a real stickler. I couldn't even send a kid to get a band-aid for a paper-cut without the (long) form completely filled out. I think I will try the sanitizer on the desk option. I really liked that idea!! Thanks for sharing your brilliancy! (Is that a word?)
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunflwr508

I agree
Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I refuse to touch the passes. I hate when the string comes untied and the kids bring it to me to retie...I get so grossed out. I love the idea of the clothespin and the hand sanitizer. I may use these!
sunflwr508 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommazat

Love the clip idea!!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

No reason to lay it down in who knows what and if it is clipped to you, it will not be forgotten! Great idea.
mommazat is offline   Reply With Quote

stretchberry

Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
"where are you" board
I really, really like this idea. I've been having the students put a pass on their desks. What I don't like is that they have to go get the pass and then parade across the room with it to put it on their desk, potentially sparking the restroom chain reaction.

I could use a Target pocket chart to make the board. I could write the students' names directly on the clear pocket, writing 2 or 3 names on each pocket--using a silver sharpie or a paint pen, so the names will show up clearly. The students will slip a pass behind their name (restroom, nurse, library, etc.) I'd leave a blank space at the bottom of the pass (index card or business card), so the name would still be visible when the pass is being used.

Another idea, I could use different colored clothes pins for the passes to clip to the sides of the pocket chart. The students' names (2 per pocket) could be put on cards and placed in the pockets.

This will definitely work for me. Thanks for sharing your idea!
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Raid14

Old 08-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I do the where are you board in the back of my room. It has been really helpful to me beacause it seems like there is always someone out of the room: testing, at title 1, at the nurses, the office, the bathroom, the library, the lab, tag, reading with a volunteer. It helps me keep it straight. I just printed out a poster using printshop and tape it to my whiteboard. In the past I have put the kids name's on the poster and they grab the magnet of where they are and put it next to their name, writing the time down next to it. I might switch it to the places on the poster and the kids put their magnetic name next to it. It has been a system that has worked well for me.
My poster and magnets are on my website if you want to print them off.
http://shaylaschilling.iowapages.org/id14.html
Raid14 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachkids

command hooks
Old 08-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

At one school where I worked, all the teachers united over their hatred of bathroom passes. Kids were required to have a pass in the hall, so we installed hooks outside the bathroom (near the paper towel dispenser). Everybody's passes were on a string, and the kids hung them on the hooks. This idea or the clothespin idea would help alleviate the germ factor.
luv2teachkids is offline   Reply With Quote

LQTeach

Magnetic White Board
Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I've used a magnetic white board that hangs on the door. The students write their name down when they leave the classroom and erase it when they return. That way I can see who has left at a glance.
LQTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

jumpinjack

Goin' to the Can
Old 08-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My kids put a small vegetable can, cleaned and spray painted with a boy or girl sticker on it, on their desks when they go to the bathroom. I only have one of each. They don't get the joke, but it makes me chuckle.
jumpinjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Caralala

Hand Sanitizer
Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am with ShirleyHolmes on this one. I read this idea last summer on PT before school started and it worked so well. I will use it again this year.
Caralala is offline   Reply With Quote