Help

BusyBoard

What do you do to get ready?

>

Tulips

What do you do to get ready?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering, what do others do to get ready for the first day of school? I've seen several posts where people spend a couple of days to a week or more getting ready. It takes me about a day and a half. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing something. So, what do you do to prep for the first day of school?

Thanks in advance!
Tulips

Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have to move all my desks, tables, chairs, and everything else in my room in place. they clean the carpets by emptying the stuff in the hall and then just dumping it back in our rooms. I have to do bulletin boards, I have a new reading program in my room to go through (have the whole grade level in my room) and also our grade level supply order. A couple of papers to be copied and books to arrnage, balls to pump up. First day folders to put together. I did copy a ton of stuff before I left for the summer. I wish I could do it in a day or so but I always get off task by visiting with other teachers!!
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Getting ready
Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I go in a couple of mornings before returning to work officially. I spend one morning arranging my classroom furnishings. It takes a while because I put a tennis ball on each chair and desk leg. I always do some rearranging as well. Sometimes because I am at the end of the hallway I have extra furniture to move out of my room. I think the custodians wax our hallway last and stuff all the hallway tables and chairs in my room.

Then I come in and spend a morning doing my bulletin boards. Sometimes I get this done at the end of the year to prep ahead of time, but not this year.

I think of all this as the hard physical work and I like to get it over with before I return for the week of inservice before the students start. We have three days of meetings and two days to work in our classrooms. I spend those two days doing lesson plans, making copies, name tags and coordinating schedules for library time, computer time and little buddy time.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Moved rooms and grade level
Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

so I had a lot to do. It's also only my 2nd year so I'm still trying to get everything figured out and I don't really have a set plan on what to do in what order. I also like to get my room all set up before officially required to go back so I can wear my grubby clothes while I'm cleaning and moving furniture. Our building was also remodeled so there's a ton of dust everywhere.
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Different This Year
Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had to move everything from one classroom into my own room and then move my 6th grade materials out of my room. So far I have been in my room 4 times for at least 4 hours setting up furniture, purging, taking inventory of what I inherited, and setting up my classroom library for lower grade books. Today I will go in and start putting things on desks, laminating, copying and putting up BB paper. Later in the week I will write lesson plans, class newsletter, and prep for Meet the Teacher night.

Next year I hope to sit on my hind end and surf the web all summer, read none school related books, and show up at school only on the assigned first day back for teachers!

NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Tons of little stuff
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will be making copies, laminating desk tags, labeling student cubbies and pocket charts with names, making more copies, putting information packets together for parents, making still more copies, putting away the math curriculum materials that we get every year, putting away my purchase order stuff, making some more copies, talking to people, hanging up PBS posters that we're now required to post, putting together morning writing journals, making playdough, finishing my PPt presentation for the parents and becoming physically exhausted!

I set up my room at the end of June and did my bulletin boards, so I won't have to worry about those. I was also able to purge a lot of stuff that I inherited 2 years ago and I finally got around to doing something with it!
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Reader

Tons of stuff
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I will need to put the furniture back in the room. Set up the calendar wall. Unpack everything I bought this summer. Unpack the cupboards. Set up my computer, make copies, talk to staff, meet the principal, talk to the office manager, purge my file cabinets (didn't have time after school was out). Get ready for Back To School Night, meet with grade level partners for planning. Prepare student and table supplies. There is probably more, but I am getting overwhelmed thinking about it.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

ichigo

Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have no idea what to expect this year, so I think I'm going to go in early to check it out. I was supposed to have my flooring replaced during the summer, but the principal couldn't tell me for sure. We also have a new head custodian, so I don't know if he left my furniture in the hall or put it back. The recently retired custodian used to place our desks in rows for us, so I could have put up my bulletin boards, passed out supplies, and got started.
ichigo is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

to do list
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

set up my area (computer, desk, micro, fridge, filing cabinets)
bulletin boards
set up the library (had to take it down this summer and it's BIG)
arrange student desks
put up my timeline
get mailboxes ready

little stuff:

copies of schedule, laminated
counselor's schedules, laminated
put out supplies, like dictionaries, markers, scissors.....

It takes me 2 1/2 to 3 days to set up. I am starting my 9th year and I'm tired of setting up this room! It was fun the first five times or so, now it's a chore.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

utteacher

lots to do
Old 08-09-2010, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like spending a little bit of time each day for about 2 weeks prior to school starting. I have to move all my furniture back, unpack everything we had to pack up, do bbs, unpack library, make some of the notebooks, make/laminate/cut name tags and labels, unpack orders. This year, I am also going to clean out and reorganize my cupboards and I'm getting ready for a student teacher. Once my room is ready, I love to just sit in different spots in my room and think...think about how each spot is going to function, think about how I want the first day to go, etc. I also will start doing my planning and copying.

utteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kindygirl

Old 08-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

this question can't possibly be from a kindergarten teacher........i spend days and days in my room getting it ready. so much to do, the list is basically endless.
kindygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
tiredalready

tiredalready

tons
Old 08-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My room had some remodeling done - so everything had to be packed up last spring. I have spent several days at school already. Purged from two file cabinets to one, still unpacking tons of books, arranging furniture, and organizing cupboards. I'm not finished yet Wednesday is teachers' first official day, kids start next Monday. We will have half a day to work in our rooms each day Wed-Fri.

I still have to scrub the student desks. I know we cleaned them last spring, but they are filthy! My walls are still blank. I hope to have the "dirty" work done by Thursday, and work on planning and paperwork Friday. Next year will be easier.

Tulips

getting ready
Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for all of the replies! It sounds like we're all doing the same things. I don't have to rearrange or move furniture so that cuts out quite a bit of time for me. It sounds like we all:

-arrange desks
-get Parent letter ready
-get student letter ready
-lesson plan for first day/week
-make copies(I can't find my first day stuff)
-put up bulletin boards
-put out library books
-desk tags/nameplates
-pump up balls
-and a dozen other little things

Thanks for the help!
Tulips
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

conolley

Prep Time
Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love switching things up each year, so I spend a lot of time rearranging my classroom and during that time doing some deep cleaning and organizing. We don't start inservices 'til this Wednesday and kids don't come 'til next Tuesday, but I've been in my classroom about 4 days already. I'm pretty much done with my room with the exception of a few new things I've made this evening. I also like to be done with my classroom early so that I can spend our actual work days on planning and copying.
conolley is offline   Reply With Quote