Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Water For Elephants- Book Versus Movie

>

RockinOutMath

Water For Elephants- Book Versus Movie
Old 05-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I won't go into specifics in case someone hasn't seen it yet that wants to, but I am curious to hear others' thoughts. I loved the book very much and liked the movie. I wasn't disappointed by any means, it's just never the same. I do have to say that I think they cast their actors very well for the parts. I was a little worried about Robert Pattenson, since I can only picture him as Edward, but he was phenomenal, and Reece played the part well too. The man who played August was fantastic, and older Jacob and Camel were just how I pictured them. I was surprised they didn't flashback to the older Jacob throughout the movie, but I think it worked to use that as a beginning and an end. What did you think?

akymsu

characters
Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I thought it was interesting that the circus owner character was left out. I can't think of his name, was it actually Benzini? And made Marlena's husband the head honcho.

Kare3A

Not disappointed
Old 05-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So many times I'm disappointed after I read a book, then see the movie. I wasn't disappointed this time, even though I still think the book is better.

TeachBakeShop

Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just saw the movie last night, and I liked it very much. I love the book so much, and I was also surprised that they didn't flash back to the old man more. I loved Rosie in the movie. I couldn't even watch the parts when August was torturing her with the bull hook, even though that was apart of the book. I think that they did an excellent job with the characters. Like the OP, I was unsure of Robert Pattenson, but I think he was excellent.
I can't wait to see The Help in August. I hope the producers just as good of a job.

EllaKate

Old 05-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Loved, loved the book......LOVED the movie!!! I think it stayed really true to the book and all the actors did a great job. "August" was fantastic and RP was really good also. I also couldn't watch some of the "Rosie" scenes. Loved it!!!

emptynester54

Old 05-08-2011, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I thought it stayed pretty true to the book. The ringmaster's actor made the movie. He was great in Inglorious Basterds [sic] and won the Academy Award, I think. A movie can never have ALL the details of a book and that's why I love books so much more. I guess the movies would be 8 hours long if all the details were there!