Fountas and Pinnell LLI or Jan Richardson's model? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Fountas and Pinnell LLI or Jan Richardson's model?

>

MandyPandy

Fountas and Pinnell LLI or Jan Richardson's model?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had purchased Jan Richardson's guided reading book. I love what I've seen, and I've spent some time gathering materials and preparing to use her plans for next year. Recently, the curriculum coordinator at our school gave me a sample of Fountas & Pinnell's LLI program. He says that we could probably order one of the kits. From the sample, the lessons seem to be organized very similar to Jan Richardson's templates. I'm not sure if I should continue with the plans to follow Jan Richardson's books or use the LLI program (which, because I could get one kit, would work for 2 of my 8 groups).

Here are some other things to consider:
My groups are 30 minutes and 5 students. I have no flexibility in the time, and I really had to push to limit the group sizes to 5. Also, I will not receive any training for the program. My school tends to buy programs (such as Intensive Phonics), tells the teachers that they are available for use, and then tell us that training is too expensive.

Do you have experience following either the LLI program or Jan Richardson's model? How do they work for you? I'm looking for as much information as I can to make an informed decision. Thank you!

MandyPandy is offline   Reply With Quote

starjan97

Lli
Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are using the LLI kits next year. I have seen both. IF you are familiar with Running Records, there is not much to learn for the using the LLI kit. I go to training tomorrow. Why will it only work for two groups? The books start low in the kit and go pretty high. We have both the 1st and 2nd grade kit. The 2nd grade kit will work for most 3rd graders too.
starjan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

starjan97

Observation
Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If your district will let you, try and observe another school that uses the LLI before ordering and see if you like it. It is very scripted and moves quickly, but studies show that students make huge gains. It's reading recovery like lessons but for a small group. I used Jan Richardson's book this year with my groups, but required to use the LLI with most groups next year.

MandyPandy

Why only 2 groups...
Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am the only Title 1 teacher in the primary grades. Only two of my groups would be at the reading levels for the blue kit.

One of my greatest hesitations is that I would rather use the money to provide training on Intensive Phonics or Wilson Phonics, both of which we have but no one knows how to use.
MandyPandy is offline   Reply With Quote

starjan97

Wait
Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would wait and try to get something else if you can only use with 2 groups. The other book is similar.

rwinters

Lli
Old 05-26-2011, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

LLI works best if you have groups of 3 and no more. It will move students but you need to watch their fluency and phonics but we've had student over at least one and a half years. Yes, its scripted and moves quickly-a couple of teachers spend extra time at a level to ensure they were solid. This is an intervention and teachers have to be doing guided reading back in the class. I have used Jan's book for students who need a specific thing and no longer fit into an LLI group. It has done great things for our students.
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been to Jan Richardson's workshops and love what she does. I'm in agreement with waiting and continuing to use Jan's. I had a class with a gal who used LLI and while she really liked it, there was a lot of bookmaking (copies to take home).
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

mysteryread

Love Title 1
Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have heard both speak and have previewed both ideas. We use LLI, it has been around longer, I can't say one is better than the other, but LLI ideas have been around for several years. Jan's book is more recent. Good luck!!!
mysteryread is offline   Reply With Quote
reading1218

reading1218

Literacy Coach
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would definitely go with LLI. We have been using it for two year. The planning and prep is minimal, once you have the system set up. The wonderful thing about LLI, is that all the books and word study lessons match up. No longer do you have to spend time looking for a guided reading book that has the word pattern you are looking for. I am extremely happy with the gains my students are making.

We do have all three kits and we use with students k-3. We even have a couple groups in grade four using right now.

LLI is a very comprehensive system. The books are engaging. My students LOVE the characters that come back week after week in the series books.

It is so worth the investment.