Help

Math & Science

ALEKS math program

>

latebloomer

ALEKS math program
Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have an opinion of the ALEKS math program, either pros or cons? My school is looking into purchasing it for the 3rd and 4th grades. I teach grades 5-8 math and I am wondering if one of my gifted students could benefit from the program. I am not familiar with the ALEKS program at all.

latebloomer is offline   Reply With Quote

rikybee

Aleks
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,

I haven't used the ALEKS program myself, but currently, my school uses the program for the struggling math students. The teachers who use the program say that it is very beneficial and helps improve the math skills and levels of the students who use it. The school will be mandating all students to complete a certain amount of hours of the ALEKS program, regardless of their math level.
rikybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Great!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We used ALEKS last year in our 4th & 5th grades and really loved it. We are an RTI (response to intervention) school and are required to give an additional 30 minutes of instruction to at-risk students. ALEKS was a great resource to use for students not in one of the RTI groups. I found that the kids loved watching their pie fill up with skills they had mastered. I found it useful for all students at every level (academically low to gifted) because the program will show an explanation of how to solve the problem and requires multiple practices before the topic is shown as mastered. If your school does NWEA Map testing, ALEKS really helped our students become more comfortable with wording as well as other types of questions/problems we might not get to during class. The only downfall is that it does require a great deal of reading. I have many students who are proficient/advanced in math but are struggling readers. The program IXL is another good one for lower readers. It goes pre-k through 8th grade skills.
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote