Help

Third Grade

Still reversing b and d

>

teacherwriter

Still reversing b and d
Old 11-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm sitting here grading papers, and it hit me again how many kids I have who still regularly reverse lowercase b and d. None of these kids are receiving services. Got any suggestions how to remediate this?

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Daphne333

same here
Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have quite a few kids doing it as well. Today I had a kid read barn as darn. Then she looked at me like I was weird when I corrected her.
Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

What grade?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach second, and I always have a few. I have them erase the whole word and correct it every single time I catch it, and I remind them to check for b and d reversals before they turn in a paper. Most of them are pretty well cured by the end of the year.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Reading Queen

me too
Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have kids that are still reversing other letters, not just b and d as well as numbers. Not only do they reverse the actual digit, the often reverse the order of the numbers which in math makes a huge difference to the answer. I have the b d bed which I have on their desk but that doesn't seem to be helping. If anyone has a great "cure", I would love to know about it!
Reading Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

KrisKElem

I use the bed idea but
Old 11-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have the students create a "bed" with their hands: make an "o" with your thumb and every finger except with the pointer pointing up. I let the students know that they carry their b and d with them at all times. Some will even make the letters and put it next to the word to check if it is a b or d.

Hope it helps!

KrisKElem is offline   Reply With Quote

MiamiEm324

Capitals
Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Another trick since they usually seem to know the capitals for B and D is that if you "add a bump to a b you get a capital B." Adding a bump on top of a lowercase d looks wrong to them (most of the time!). You can also add a big curve to the back of a d and get a D, but that one doesn't seem to be as catchy.
MiamiEm324 is offline   Reply With Quote

ahoykaty

I say, "Make your bed!"
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use the bed idea, too, just like KrisKElem! Every so often, I'll see one of my students "make their bed" in their lap as he works on an assignment. So far, it's had consistent results with the two students in my class that reverse. Our resource room teacher keeps a visual posted in her room year-round so kids can just look up and remember. There's a colorful poster available from ReallyGoodStuff (http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/produ...+bed+poster.do) but I'm sure you could make your own for free.
ahoykaty is offline   Reply With Quote

rehcaet

I agree with using the capitals
Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Using the capital letters MIGHT work. I'm not a fan of the bed idea. I have them really focus on one like the B so they can then remember the other one is facing the other way. I firmly believe that having students go back and "fixing" them together is a lot more meaningful than having them edit by themselves. Also see if they have one in thier name and relate it back to that. Some students will just learn it when they are ready and find a strategy that works for them.
rehcaet is offline   Reply With Quote

gotabook

b and d confusion
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am a Reading Recovery teacher who has several first graders with this problem. I asked my teacher leader--who teaches RR teachers. She advised me to teach hard for it by using a word that this student knows really well. She has a 'd' in her name so I am going to direct this to her and have her write and concentrate on the letter 'd'. So she can remember the differences between a 'd' and 'b'.
gotabook is offline   Reply With Quote