Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

melatonin

>

pmpkin2

melatonin
Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use melatonin? DH has been diagnosed with sleep apnea. The CPAP is not working for him. His job is very stressful which contributes to the insomnia. He can not stay asleep and he's exhausted during the day. He's not one for taking anything so I was thinking of having him try melatonin. Any suggestions on this? How long does it take to work? Any particular brand or amount? TIA

yayteacher

I used
Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It before I got pregnant. I took 3 mg a night about 30 minutes before going to bed. I never felt groggy when waking up in the morning. I loved it and miss it since I can't take it anymore!

lovkteaching

Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did that cpap business for 9 months. I could never sleep for more that 2 hours without waking up. I had never had that problem before I got that dumb thing!!! i finally quit and now i sleep like a baby again!

arsabl

Old 01-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Best homeopathic medicine is called Mid-Night. You can a pill about 15 minutes before bed. The pill melts on the tongue. You can take another in the middle of the night if you need to. No groggy side effects. I used to take melatonin but switched to this. I have better results with this over the counter pill. Look in the sleep aide section of your local pharmacy. I have noticed there are some commercials about the stuff now, too.

Ruby07

Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Best homeopathic medicine is called Mid-Night. You can a pill about 15 minutes before bed. The pill melts on the tongue. You can take another in the middle of the night if you need to. No groggy side effects. I used to take melatonin but switched to this. I have better results with this over the counter pill. Look in the sleep aide section of your local pharmacy. I have noticed there are some commercials about the stuff now, too.
Mid-night *is* melatonin, with a couple of other ingredients (like lavender and chamomile). I looked into this, too, out of curiosity.

CatLove

Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Going to try Mid-Night. I haven't slept through the night since July!

Lady Di

I love it
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I take 3 mg every night and read for 20-30 minutes until I'm drowsy, then I turn out the light and sleep like a baby.

My doctor says it's okay to take every night b/c it's a naturally occuring hormone in our bodies and some people don't make enough of it.

Hope this helps your DH get some sweet dreams!

pmpkin2

Old 01-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the advice. I looked at melatonin at the pharmacy and you could get 3mg, 5mg, or 10mg. I guess he should start with 3 and see how it works. Does it work right away or do you need time for it to get in your system?

Shash821

Melatonin
Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I take it only on school nights, and on nights when it will be important to be alert the next day. I didn't take it all summer, and I do not take it on Friday or Saturday nights. Surprisingly, though, I do sleep well on those nights anyway. I guess there is not as much on my mind.

I take 4 1/2 mg nightly (1-3 mg and another 1/2 of one). I tried cutting back to just 1-3mg, but wasn't sleeping through. I wake up refreshed and not groggy at all. I do recommend it.

There are plenty of threads on this board from the past few months. Maybe try a search through some of them, and you might get some additional information and advice. Remember that the melatonin will not help the sleep apnea though. So, maybe your DH should discuss the possibility of taking melatonin with his MD before discontinuing the CPAP.

Good luck to him (and you).

Time4achange

It has been a life saver..
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been taking it for about 4 months and it has saved my life.... No more nightmares.... No more hours of laying there wide awake.... Just restful, quick sleep with great dreams!!!

arsabl

Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ok so there is melatonin in Midnite.....1.5 mg, my mistake. BUT I sleep better after taking this pill than when I took a Schiff brand with 3 mg of melatonin.

My doctor also prescribed Benadryl for sleeping help. Non habit forming.

I have tried many ways to get a good night's sleep. Midnite works best for me at ths time.