Help

Third Grade

Already April...

>

SpecialK06

Already April...
Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year with my own classroom. I feel like all year I have been treading against the water- until the past month or so. Somehow it just feels like things "clicked". I seriously wonder what I spent so much time on earlier this year- things that didn't matter that took up time. I just found my "groove" and know my students really well to plan purposefully.

Now I'm getting a little sad. By the time we finish state testing, April will be over- and May is just tons of field trips, wrap up, etc. Where did the year go? It makes me sad to think of the relationship I built with students, and my knowledge of them so I can teach to them- being gone. Sigh. I suppose this is the first year teacher in me talking, for sure..

Tell me about your first year.. Did you feel like all the sudden you just figured things out, only to be sad that you had no time left with them???

SpecialK06 is offline   Reply With Quote

MiamiEm324

Absolutely
Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Absolutely! But the good news is a few months later another great group of kids walks in and you do it all over again : )
MiamiEm324 is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

You're doing well to have found your groove..
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...and you'll probably feel the same way each year, too! The only time I didn't feel that way was the year I taught the same kids I had when they were in 1st grade and they moved up to 3rd grade. Wonderful to feel we already knew each other and I had a heads up on who was likely to need what. It's just not the same getting that information from another teacher as it is knowing the kids yourself.
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialK06

Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Seems like looping is such a great idea, now knowing what it's like toward the END of the year versus the beginning. No amount of information from the previous years' teachers could help me form the knowledge I now have.

Any of you guys loop? Our school does have a couple of looping teachers-- something I'm looking into as a possibility.

Maybe now that I have the hang of it, it will be easier next year regardless- or... here's hoping!

Mad4Math

Whoa!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Looping gives you the same students that you know, but... it's a whole new curriculum that you don't. If you stay in the same grade level for the next three years or so, you will see yourself grow as an educator leaps and bounds. You will start to make connections and teach across curriculum subjects and get so much more accomplished that you ever thought possible. Starting over with a new group of kids, but using what you learned this year and adding to your repertoire will be your best best, in my opinion anyway.

Mad4Math is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialK06

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That's true. It's so hard to make that choice. Ideally I want a range of experience. If I were to loop, I would do 2nd then 3rd, and would know the 3rd curriculum then. I struggle to decide what is more important... knowing the curriculum, or really understanding my students, where they are at, and what they need to be successful.

True they go hand in hand. Just another option I'm keeping open.