Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Exclusive pumping???

>

yayteacher

Exclusive pumping???
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm due in August with our first baby. My ob has said that her son refused bottles once he was breastfed. I plan to go back to work after 6 weeks and our son will have to be able to take a bottle from DH and my mom. My husband wants to to share some of the feeding, too. I plan to pump when going back to work, and honestly thought about just exclusively pumping from birth. I don't feel comfortable bfing in public, and Im not sure how i feel about actually breastfeeding in general, but i want him to have the best nutrition from breastmilk. This way I could be sure how much milk he would be getting. I already bought a Medela Instyle pump. Does anyone else have experience exclusively pumping? Or any moms have advice/ tips on whether this is even a good idea or not? Thanks!!!

shelmo77

Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I breastfed and pumped. I have heard that exclusively pumping is hard - esp in the beginning when you are trying to establish your supply. I didn't think I would like breastfeeding, but honestly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. When we were in public I either went into a nursing room or went to the car and covered with a blanket to nurse. My daughter refused bottles for a while - we bought every type of bottle there was and she finally took the playtex nurser with latex nipples. The key with the bottles is to introduce them at the right time - intro too early and they will start refusing the breast, intro too late and they refuse the bottle - I think 3-6 weeks is the "magic window" - my daughter was about 2 months when we tried the bottle.

PrivateEyes

I wouldn't
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are more than nutritional benefits from breastfeeding. There is is bonding that takes place during that time as well. Plus, pumps aren't nearly as efficient as babies are. You'll spend time pumping that you could be spending cuddling your baby. (Breastfeeding is the ultimate in multi-tasking!)

I almost exclusively breastfed, but like you, I was worried that my child wouldn't take a bottle. So, every other day or so, I gave my daughters (I have 5) a supplemental bottle after the last feeding before bedtime.

That way, I made sure that their tummies were full, they slept a little longer, and I knew that I could leave my baby with a bottle, if necessary.

Brooke S.

bottle
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went back to work when my baby was 9 weeks old. Before that she primarily breastfed. However, I gave her at least one bottle a day from the time she was 3 weeks old. She did just fine with a bottle when I was working.

shazam

Pumping
Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As far as pumping, everyone is differrent of course. I tried pumping, and even when i was super full and squirting out milk like a fountain, i was only ever able to get 2 ounces at a time. But i think thats just me bc i know others have no problem pumping.

As far as breastfeeding, at least give it a try. I never knew how I would feel about it until I did it, and I looooooove it so much. Of course the nutritional benefits, and the cost (free!), but to see his big eyes looking up at me, and this little drunk face he gets when he is completely satisfied, and milk dripping down his chin, and the first time he was so interested in what I was saying he tried to smile while drinking, so many amazing little moments. Plus, when he is upset or sick, I can make him feel better like immediately. And nursing in public is not a big deal. I thought it would be and was definitely nervous until one day I ended up being out longer than expected and well I just had no choice. Most people don't notice and if they do most don't see it as a big deal.

Mme Escargot

Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My 1st baby was given a bottle of formula in the hospital, before I ever even woke up from my C-section. We had a little trouble getting started with breastfeeding, but that was as much me not knowing what I was doing, as much as anything. It was hard for a couple of days, until my milk came in ( it's just colostrum before that ) and once that happened, it was smooth sailing.

My second was bottle-fed my breastmilk in the hospital, because he spent 6 days in the NICU; but I think that was supplemented with bottles of formula as well, because I had difficulty pumping.

Both my babies had bottles of formula, bottles of breastmilk, and the breast from day 1, and we never had any problems with them refusing either the bottle or the breast. It just depends on the baby, I guess.

I didn't think I was going to like breastfeeding, but I found it one of the most peaceful experiences of my life; and I really enjoyed that cuddle-time with my babies. I hated to give it up, to be honest. Don't rule it out just yet.....

Spedqn1

Did both
Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At about 2-3 weeks, I started having my husband give DD her last feeding of the night from a bottle. She actually got formula at that time, and switched back and forth fine. I used that time to pump so that I could build up a supply for when I was gone (I was taking all day classes on Saturday). I also think the formula stuck with her a little longer and helped her sleep longer. It was also nice to know that she would not only take a bottle, but that she could take a little formula here and there in case I was in a spot I couldn't nurse, or gone, etc. Made me less panicky about nursing. I didn't like pumping more often because it felt like more work. One of the perks of breast feeding is no getting bottles ready! That's just what worked for me.

Momof2G1B

Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I nursed all three of my children. I pumped at work. While at home it was just easiest to nurse. I invested in a blanket that went over my shoulder but had a little peek-a-boo top so I could keep an eye on my baby while they nursed. I was able to pump just once a day at work. (during my lunch) I kept a picture of my little one in the pump case. I never liked the feel of the pump but I did it as long as my kids nursed. My middle one didn't like the bottle but trust me when they get hungry they eat. My babysitter said she could only get her to take one bottle during the day and she would just hold out for me to come home. I ended up having to nurse her for a few minutes before we got in the car so she wouldn't scream all the way home. She tended to nurse more during the evening. You might be surprised about how you feel nursing whenever and where ever you need to. I got creative many times. Whatever you decide to do don't let anyone tell you it is the wrong thing!

angelajw

Both
Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I did both. I started giving my babies a bottle around 5 weeks. I used a nipple that was a fast flow. I tried the newborn nipple but babies don't have to work at all to breastfeed since your body has a letdown and the milk just flows. Both boys took the bottle just fine from me. My younger son did put up a bit of a fight with the sitter and he refused to eat for about a week. He was 12 weeks old when I went back to work. But he did settle into a routine quickly. I agree with others that if you are wanting to bf I would start from the beginning because it really does help with your supply. I started pumping at 3 weeks between feedings on the opposite breast. I had quite a large stash established by the time I went back to work. Oh and when you nurse do not worry about how much your baby is eating. Count the minutes and listen for gulping. Good Luck and enjoy your new little one!

Clarity

Amazingly, the body is set up to respond to
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

being suckled by an infant. Pumping and sucking are too different things. By sucking, the baby "primes the pump" and teaches your body how much milk he or she needs and when. Machine pumping by itself will frustrate and tire you out. You will most likely not end up producing enough milk. Your baby will be unsatisfied, because probably two-thirds of the fun for baby AND mom is the closeness that develops as a result of breastfeeding. What you are planning sounds just like an unusual solution and I predict you won't last long.

Sucking from a breast helps a baby in all kinds of ways, including developing the immune system and stimulating the glands in the back of the throat and neck. It isn't just about getting the milk, though that is important, too.

I suggest you breastfeed for awhile, and then learn to hand pump your milk, which is way easier than a machine, quicker, and more natural.

rubyanne

Old 05-29-2012, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I BF and pumped for three kids. Pumping is harder. Pumping takes more time, prep, cleaning, and energy. Babies are much more efficient at getting milk from mom than a pump is. I wouldn't pump just because you are worried baby won't take a bottle. I had two that wouldn't take a bottle until they had to and one that took one right away. As far as BFing in public I really didn't have to very much. I fed before I went somewhere and after I got back. Sometimes I BF in the car. If I was in public I covered with a blanket until I felt more comfortable. I think there are a lot of things women worry about but you don't know until you try it.

As far as DH sharing in the feeding he gets plenty to share in. He helps bring me water, food, change the baby, put her to sleep, play with her etc.