Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

laptop battery

>

Sue too

laptop battery
Old 07-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know how long these things are supposed to last? I have a Toshiba and when I first got it, it lasted for hours. This year it has gotten down to one hour. For the last week or so the icon has a red x on it and it says "consider replacing your battery." Is this just a suggestion or is it really going to stop working someday? Thanks for any insight you can give me!

Beagles

Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It will eventually require your computer to be plugged in all the time as your battery gets old. Many places like Best Buy sells warranty at the time of purchasing your computer that cover battery replacement. I only got a $500 Toshiba laptop last December and bought a one year warranty. The warranty will cover a new battery even if the battery is working at 50% capacity. It made sense because the one year warranty was cheaper than the cost of replacing a battery. I'm thinking in a few years it will be cheaper to buy a brand new computer than replacing batteries.Does that make sense?

catgirl79

battery
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm having the same problem! I also have a Toshiba and keep hoping it doesn't die on me! My husband has a Toshiba and his battery is fine and his laptop is older than mine! I hope someone here can give advice/insight- I hate to pay the money for a new battery if I don't need to.

grav_def

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had the exact same thing happen with my Acer (will be 3 years old around Thanksgiving) a couple of weeks ago. It's still working fine, but I make a point to keep it plugged in pretty much all the time. My battery life is down to about 30-45 minutes!

Someone here recommended Batteries Plus stores for a replacement. I'm finding that you can also get them quite a bit cheaper online (just Google "[computer model] replacement battery") but I worry about quality with those. I'll probably suck it up and hit up Batteries Plus eventually, but it's ~$80 and I really don't want to spend that right now.

Amilya

I bought a new one on Amazon for cheap....
Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

it is awesome. It lasts a lot longer, at least 3 hours. Mine sits up higher and actually helps my computer cool on the bottom. It is here....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

It should take you to it, and it was only like $30 so if your warranty won't let you get a new one this is affordable. I've had it since October 2011 and it is working well for me. Just make sure you look at your battery in your computer and get the number off of it to ensure it is compatible.
Good luck it is a pain when they won't charge.

MaryMac

Mine too!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My Toshiba lasts about 6 minutes before it warns me to plug in!

Thanks Amilya!i just might have to try that!

Carolyn

Yep!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My guess is that laptop batteries are notoriously short in their lifespan. My HP laptop battery lasted for an entire plane flight from the East to the West when it was new, and eventually it got to the point where it only lasted for an hour. Soon I saw "consider replacing the battery." I bought a new battery for the laptop before the little bugger stopped working without being plugged in. I'm on my third battery and just use it until it dies, which isn't really more than an hour. Then I just plug it in and use it from the electrical outlet. You can get a replacement at Amazon, but be sure you are getting a "real" Toshiba battery replacement. I bought one from an Amazon dealer, and it only lasted for about 6 months. I don't think it was made by HP. It was a lot cheaper than the ones that HP sells. I guess you get what you pay for.

Miller

Old 07-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

if you always keep it plugged in it will. You're supposed to charge it, unplug it and use it until it needs to be recharged. Even doing that though, it'll only last about 3-4 years.

Carolyn

Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My HP dwindled after a year and a half, and I followed all of the manufacturer's and the Geek squad's instructions. I now have an iPad with a ten-hour battery. It will be interesting to see when it begins to need a lot of charges and a new battery.