TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Pregnant and freaking out!

>

Scared2death

Scared2death

Pregnant and freaking out!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I never, EVER thought pregnancy was going to be this terrifying. I am not very far along (only 6 weeks) and every little twinge makes my heart race! I am so terrified of miscarrying and I am not sure why. I am seen the doctor and have another appointment in 2 weeks but I can't seem to relax.

I have had some mild cramping, which I have read and have been told is completely normal. I keep reading about bleeding in the first trimester- hasn't happened to me yet but I am going to the bathroom like every hour just to check.

I fear I am going to drive myself insane! Any words of wisdom or advice?!?!!? Am I crazy? Are these things normal? I know every pregnancy is different but I can't deal with being so terrified, especially since I feel so irrational that I don't want to tell anyone how scared I am!

---SIGH----

Thanks for letting me get that out.

yayteacher

I am
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

8 months pregnant right now, and I remember being scared,too. I also had a lot of period like cramping in the beginning, but no bleeding. I was so scared I wasn't actually pregnant I was taking pregnancy tests daily for the week after we found out! I'd try to relax as much as possible. (I know easier said than done!) Happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy to you!

Alicia G

Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Four kids and a miscarriage here... With those four kiddos, I had some bleeding, lots of early contractions, etc.

Advice?

Call the doctor if you are worried. It's fine. Call, call, call. It's okay if your doctor ends up hating you. Don't be intimidated. Shower the doctor (or nurse...) with questions such as "How do I know the difference between cramping/contractions/bleeding that I should worry about and those that I shouldn't?" You may call 24/7. Someone is taking a turn answering those 3 AM phone calls. Pregnant ladies need doctors at all hours, during holidays, etc. Just pick up the phone...

Follow your instincts. If you think something is probably wrong, it needs to be checked out, sooner rather than later.

Also, listen to your body. If it says, "time to rest" then rest. Same with eating and drinking (actually, ramp up on the drinking as your body is making more blood).

Also, remember that while a few pregnancies end tragically, most end in a happy, healthy, wonderful baby. The odds are WITH you..

Oh, and congrats.

1956BD

I am sorry you are so nervous
Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just think of all the women who have been pregnant before you. If they did it, you can do it too. It is a natural process and for most women very uneventful, until the baby is born.

Also, I had two high risk pregnancies. Both ended with the birth of a healthy son. If I can do it, so can you.

I would tell your doctor how nervous you are. Your mental health is as important as your physical health.

Maybe you could go and take some yoga relaxation classes. Or maybe you should treat yourself to a mother to be massage.

My pastor said something years ago that has always stuck with me. "Wait to worry." Other wise you worry about things that never come to pass. I know it sound easy, but when you are anxious it is not easy to do.

Mothers have to do things for their child that are difficult. Your first task as a mother is to try and relax (as best you can) because that is best for your unborn child and you as well.

I wish you the best. I hope your pregnancy is easy.

Miller

Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is a scary time and you just have to relax. I hate to say talk to your doctor about anxiety, but maybe your doctor can best talk to you about your feelings...and possibly medicine.

This is another thing I always thought with both my pregnancies (and I thought of this during a bleeding scare with my 1st). There's nothing that can be done to save a pregnancy once bleeding has started. No amount of worrying will change that.

Cramps are normal, some spotting is normal. Chunky blood gushes are abnormal and hopefully you'll never have to endure that.

I know my post isn't as light-hearted as one would prefer, but I can't always be sunny.

wildflowerz

Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've never had kids so I can only imagine how scary it would be. Can you try calm breathing and positive thinking for five minutes a day? That has helped me through many a tough time.

Positive thoughts for you!

jpteach95

Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am 21 weeks pregnant. I was exactly in your shoes at 6 weeks! It gets easier, I promise! I was so neurotic doctor gave me a website to purchase a hand held doppler to gear the heartbeat. I used it 2 times a week until I was about 12 weeks. Now I don't even think to use it.

It is so hard in the beginning. As time passes you will FEEL pregnant and know all is okay the beauty is when you hit around 18-20 weeks and start to feel movement!

I am considered a high risk pregnancy and haven't had any complications--- all normal appointments and sonograms.

try to relax and hang in there!

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Have you had any symptoms yet like nausea, vomiting, heartburn and fatigue? If so, those are very good signs that this is a healthy pregnancy. If not, you still are much more likely than not to be having a healthy pregnancy, MOST are! Your fears are normal. I remember doing the same thing, but as time passes you begin to feel more and more confident that things are going to be just fine. Then you will never have to experience this kind of worry again, until your child gets his or her liscense and takes the car out for a drive !

Nancy

basketball777

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Normal worrying: I was worried about miscarrying or ecoptic pregnancy the longest time, and even thought I did(and really didn't). I was having pain on my side and etc....It was just a cyst that ruptured a little. Even subconsciously I would worry way later, because I would have miscarriage nightmares, etc. I've had a very mild pregnancy this whole time, with hardly any symptoms.

Chimneygrl

Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have no advice because I am feeling the same way. Right now I am 8 weeks and also am freaking out.

shazam

Worries
Old 07-13-2012, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I recently had my ds after having a miscarriage. I worried throughout the entire pregnancy. I tried to distract myself by decorating his room, writing a blog to him, etc... I tried to tell myself not to worry, but I just found myself noticing every little twinge, cramp, etc... It did help once I could feel baby move. But I just wanted to say I feel for you. It is stressful! But then they come out and you have a whole new set of worries...is he breathing? Is he pooping enough? Is he eating enough? Etc...

loggerteacher

normal
Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think your feelings/worries are completely normal. I had them when i was newly pregnant. I also went to the bathroom every hour...to check. I can also tell you that I had NO symptoms. It was awful. At the time, I so badly wanted to be sick so I could "really" be pregnant. Everyone you talk to will tell you how sick they were and how it lasted all day. The people that didn't get sick, don't speak up. It left me feeling like an outcast. However, once I officially told everyone, I was amazed at the number of women that shared they didn't have any sickness. So, try to calm yourself, but know that if you can't, it is completely normal.

At your next appt you may be able to hear the heart beat. That was the best for me.

Oh, and if you can help yourself, stay off the internet/google for your symptoms because it will probably make you worry more (at least it did for me).

Finally, (sorry, long post), there is a new group in the Group section of PT called New Mommies for those of us that are pregnant or have new babies (and we'd also love experienced moms to join too to help us out). I hope you'll consider joining us!

new1stgrader

Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Those feelings are normal! I felt the same way after I found out I was pregnant, too. After awhile, you start to relax a bit and don't look for blood the first thing after going to the bathroom.

Maybe write some of your fears/anxieties down in a journal. That may help to alleviate some of them or at least get them off your mind. I also tried to remind myself that women have been having babies forever, your body knows what it is doing. I also said/have been saying lots of prayers over the course of this pregnancy. It helps to calm me down!

Boxerma

Normal concerns
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The women in my family had difficult pregnancies (mom miscarried before my brother, aunt's first was still born, etc.) so I was convinced I would have problems, too. I had spotting on 3 different occasions during the first part of my pregnancy and it was VERY scary. After seeing the heartbeat at the first sonogram, I was comforted. Until the woman said "do twins run in your family?" and showed my husband and I the SECOND heartbeat. Two seconds of relief taken over by all sorts of other emotions!! Having twins put me in more of a "high risk" pregnancy and every time I went to the OB I had a sonogram (which I loved). My pregnancy wasn't the easiest, and my boys were 5 weeks premature, but all ended well! They are now 2 year old TERRORS, and I wouldn't want it any other way!!

Your concerns are very normal. I was very lucky that my good friend had twins, so I was always talking to her about how I felt and she was constantly checking on me (I was pulled at 27 weeks and she'd call me on her planning period almost daily). It's okay to have anxiety, but try your best to stay calm and relax. Congratulations!!

sunflwr508

Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Congratulations!!!

tripteach

So true!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
Then you will never have to experience this kind of worry again, until your child gets his or her liscense and takes the car out for a drive !
Oh nancy! Truer words have never been spoken. The two equate very well! I was a nervous wreck through my first stages of being pg., until I could feel the little buggers moving!

Congrats!