Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Cat extreme eating?

>

Winn-Dixie

Cat extreme eating?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My cat has always had a good appetite. Hes not picky and he's at an ideal weight. I took him to the vet the other day for teeth cleaning. So I had to stop food the night before the cleaning. I swear since he came home he has been an eating machine. It's like he can't get enough food! He gets one can of wet food a day. There used to be some food leftover. Not anymore. He's licking it clean. I always have dry food out. I usually put 1/2 a cup out every 3-4 days. He's been eating the 1/2 cup in a day. I won't keep putting out more dry food every day, so he has to wait a day or so before I fill it up again since he's eating it all.

I'm not really worried. It's just weird! Maybe he thinks he needs to scarf down all his food in fear that I'm going to take it away again and then torture him with a car ride to the vet. So he's treating every meal like its his last

Winn-Dixie

Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Btw, he has been yelling and howling at me for the last hour. Couldn't figure out why. So then I decided to feed him since i usually feed him around this time. He ate and is now sleeping on the couch. Damn cat

I ♥ cats

Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Maybe he thinks he needs to scarf down all his food in fear that I'm going to take it away again and then torture him with a car ride to the vet. So he's treating every meal like its his last
This is actually very possible! Cats are smart with good memories.
Or, maybe he's hit a growth spurt?

Winn-Dixie

Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

He's 3, so he better not be growing anymore!! He's big enough

catgirl79

Cats
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My cats are jealous! I only give them a couple of bites of wet cat food two times a day along with the dry that's always there! In fact, I have to watch them eat the wet so nobody steals the other's food! They also get 3 kitty treats at night. They want to know if they can come and visit your cat!!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I free feed all my dogs and off the track dogs typically need to put on some weight. When I brought Molly home her head NEVER left the food bowl. I was so afraid I wasn't going to be able to free feed her. Once she realized that food would be available 24/7 she settled down.

Also, mine eat in fits and starts. Sometimes they eat like crazy and other times they can go days without touching it.

I wonder if he is either: 1) recovering from the trauma of having it taken away from him or 2) just going through a phase.

I would leave out the half a cup that you've always left out and he'll eventually figure it out and get back on his regular schedule.

Winn-Dixie

Old 07-31-2012, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

He's like a dog. He loves human food. If I have deli turkey, he goes nuts! He can be in a dead sleep in the bedroom but he hears that plastic Baggie open and he's at my side in seconds. I usually give him about 1/4 piece, maybe once a week. He also loves when I cook chicken, so he gets a few bites of that. And string cheese? Forget it. He's a goner

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-31-2012, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a friend whose cat used to eat my peas for me! I hate peas. I would line them up on my plate and he would come over and eat them. Of course, he would anything and everything else too; a feline garbage disposal.

eliza4one

Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You reminded me of my poor baby girl cat. (Shes no longer a kitten, per se, but size wise...she is tiny).

Anyway, she had to fast from 8:00 on. Problem is...my cats are grazers and eat whenever they want. So, even though I tried to get her to eat a lot right before 8:00, she didnt eat much, and then she begged all night long. The next morning, I caught her behind a chair eating dry throw up from our other cat!!! (I did not know it was there!!).

Talk about feeling horrible. I told her I'd never deny her food again!