Special Education

Assessment clarification

>

Confuseddd

Confuseddd

Assessment clarification
Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I will be doing my first ever 3 year eval on a student and I was hoping for a little clarification on the process. I only need to evaluate the areas that were found to be affected by the disability right? So if the student was found not to need math services then I would t have to give, say, the KeyMath? Do you have to use the same instrument that was used for the initial? For example, if the WJ III was used but I like the Wiat, can I give that instead or do all of the subtests have to be the same for comparison? Also how do you determine what subtests you give? Do you always give the core? Last question (I promise): if you are giving the same test as three yrs before, do you have to use a different form (like form b instead of A) or has enough time passed that you can give the same form? Sorry for all the questions. I am new to this and there do not seem to be clear policies in my district on this stuff! Plus we are currently without a psychologist to answer some of these for me.

rwinters

Assessment
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's what I do. I pull the students current Body of Evidence and look at where the area of need is. I use this information plus the data I've collected to determine what areas I need to do testing. If I'm need percentile scores than I may give a WJ but only in the area(s) of concern. I will only test either formal/informal in the area(s) of needs not any where else. So with the WJ, if the concern is reading than I will do just the reading; and the same for any other need. I don't do the whole thing.

Hope this helps
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

spedkidsrock

Old 08-17-2012, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can use the same form since it's been 3 years. I usually give screeners in other subject areas to make sure they aren't struggling. Since we use AIMSweb, I can do a benchmark and see how they perform in math. If I see something on the screener I do more testing in that area. Feel free to use what evaluation tests/screeners your district has provided. You don't have to use the same instrument year after year. You can just give subtests if you prefer, it doesn't effect your results.
spedkidsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

redmonkey

Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You might want to check with your district's Special Education department. In my case if the student still requires interventions and accommodations then we do not have to test. We just state no additional data needed and leave them in the program. We only test if we think they need additional services or need to drop a program. I know it is different everywhere...
redmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 08-18-2012, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I swear I answered this question and I have no idea where the response went.

If you're doing the eval, then you're not the classroom teacher, right? In my district, Pupil Appraisal Services does evals along with the School Child Psychologist and Ed. Diagnostician (an other related svcs as needed).

If you're the school teacher and needing to assess, then I use aimsweb for assessments and charting/graphs.

....and now I see you're without a psychologist. So does your whole district not have a psych? Can you ask some other psych in the district?

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

catgirl79

3 year evaluations
Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Before you test, make sure the planning meeting as a team has been completed. In Ohio, we have a planning meeting to see what areas need to be tested. Then we have 30 days to get the testing completed before the ETR meeting. At the planning meeting it can be discussed and decided what tests you will give to the student. Usually I give math, writing, and reading tests with the Kauffman Test, because that is what my school has available. I also would still give the different form, just to prevent a student remembering the test from before (I'm not sure how old your student is). A parent can also decide that more testing than just the areas affected by the disability. Check with your state's dept. of ed. website for more clarification.
catgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote