Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Morning Meeting

>

bubbleepink

Morning Meeting
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I posted this on the grade 3 board, but I don't seem to be getting any responses. Maybe I will have better luck with the primary group!

I am looking to start up a morning meeting/calender section during first period. I have done this before in grade 1 but in grade 3 I didn't think it would be useful. Now I am finding that basic concepts such as months of the year, yesterday, today, tomorrow etc. are unknown to my students. I am looking for suggestions on how I can make Calender more Grade 3 friendly and less grade 1.

This is my plan so far:
-days of school count (using base ten blocks)
-number of the day (using the days of school count)
-pattern of the day (using tables, increasing and decreasing patterns etc)
-Calendar (count the number days and cross them off, sing the months of the year song or something else to teach them the twelve months, work on days of the week in some way so they can figure out what day it was yesterday or will be tomorrow).

And the plan is to fit it into a 30 minute period. Possible? Suggestions? I'm open to anything!

thanks
BP

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

BatmanFan

2nd grade
Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a 2nd grade math curriculum for my 1st graders (prep school) and here's what we do in our morning meeting/calendar:

* Days of the week and months of the year forward and backward (I have them jump/twirl/raise their arms on their birthday month)
* Count how many days until Christmas or the next big event
* Problem of the day: changes daily, usually something like: John has six pairs of shoes. How many shoes does he have?
* Temperature/weather outside
* Clock: what time is it? What time will it be in half an hour? What time will it be in one hour?
* Count by 10s, 5s, 2s
* Count the money. With a small class, I had them make an amount in as many different ways as they could with actual coins.
* Number of the day: they choose a number like 15 and then make sums, differences, and products that equal 15 (5 + 5 + 5 or 5x3, etc)

We can do all of it in 20 minutes. If I need to trim down the time, I just cut out weather and the days of the week song.

Edit: I just remembered, when I taught 2nd grade 2 years ago, we were studying outer space and we talked about the moon phase every day: waxing/waning crescent or gibbous, full moon, or new moon, and described it as a fraction: The moon is a waxing crescent, about 1/4 full. I also did "Daily News" and we worked on editing skills. They told me something interesting that had happened and I wrote it with errors. They had to think of a title that summarized the main idea, help me fix the spelling and add punctuation.

Last edited by BatmanFan; 12-17-2012 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: added more
BatmanFan is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Fractions
Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would talk about fractions during calendar time.

If the month has 31 days:
--on the 1st, 1/31 of the month would be over; on the 2nd, 2/31 of the month would be over, etc.
--You might want to make a circle with 31 equal parts. One part can be colored each day and the fraction can be written/hung next to it.

If a month has 30 days:
--on the 15th, 1/2 of the month would be over.
--on the 6th of the month, 1/5 of the month would be over; on the 12th of the month, 2/5 of the month would be over, etc.
--on the 5th of the month, 1/6 of the month would be over; on the 10th of the month, 2/6 or 1/3 of the month would be over, etc.
--on the 2nd of the month, 1/15 of the month would be over; on the 4th of the month, 2/15 of the month would be over, etc.
--You might want to make circles showing 30, 15, 6, 5, and 2 equal parts. The circles could be shaded, and the correct fractions could be written/hung next to them.

For February (28 days), you could use 2, 4, 7, 14, and 28 as the denominators. You could make circles showing two, four, seven, fourteen, and twenty-eight equal parts. Shade the circles and write/hang the fractions next to the circles.

Instead of using circles, you could also use arrays.
--If you had a five by six array, you could color one square each day. When the first row is colored, 1/6 of the month would be over.
--If you had a two by fifteen array, you could color one square each day. When the first row is colored, 1/2 of the month is over.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

Great Ideas!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much. I am going to write up a procedure sometime this week and post it. A script for me and something to put into the sub binder!
bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

MiamiEm324

Every Day Counts
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our district uses the Every Day Counts calendar math program and I really, really like it. It is something that would require funding to buy (not sure how much it would cost for one teacher set) but is a program I would certainly recommend.

There are a few skills that are repeated daily throughout the year, and others that come in an out each month. I have found it to be just the right amount of repetition to provide repeated exposure, without becoming boring. It is one of those times in my room that despite very little planning on my part, there is a ton of learning taking place.

The different activities with it are great, but the actual calendars are probably my favorite part. Each month the calendar has a pattern that also relates to 3rd grade content. For example, you may have a repeating pattern with 3D shapes (providing the chance each day to talk about the names and attributes of the shapes) but in that same month the multiples of 3 may also have a red dot in the corner leading to conversations about multiples. I am blown away by the level of thinking my students are doing each day as we predict and pull out the new calendar piece (and excited about their level of engagement!). I can truly say it is one of my favorite times of the day.

I teach third, but can vouch for teachers K-4 at my school also liking the program.

MiamiEm324 is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

Number Sense Routines
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use some of the calendar routines from the book Number Sense Routines by Jessica Shumway. My students are getting quite proficient at counting by 10s starting anywhere on the number line. You can read the book here to get ideas.

http://www.stenhouse.com/emags/0790n/index.html

Hope that helps.
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote