Third Grade

additional meeting times

>

needimput

needimput

additional meeting times
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After winter benchmark data, it looks as though I will need to meet with students who are still below grade level..in addition to the reading group they are already in. So, really two meeting times within the classroom for these students. Any suggestions on how to meet with them or plan this time would be great! I am right at 30 kids (a little less than half are below). Thanks for any advice/suggestions!!!!!

Haley23

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know how flexible your schedule is with other subjects, but I run an intervention group during writing. After I've done the mini lesson/modeling and the kids are writing on their own I pull my lowest students for another reading group. Yes, they are missing the writing practice, but in my case these kids are SO low they are not able to write either (just strings of letters really, almost non-readers, I feel it is more important at this point for them to learn to read). I have also worked out a rotation with my grade level team where we have interventions running during Science/SS. Only the on/advanced level students actually go to Science. Two teachers on my team teach that, another teacher teaches testing interventions (for "bubble" kids), and I teach reading intervention during this time. We just switch the kids around to whatever teacher/subject they need during this time. If that's not an option, I guess your next thing would be to shorten whole group or shorten the time you're meeting with on/advanced level kids to meet more with the below kids. You could also make groups larger (maybe even just make their "second meeting" of the day in a larger groups) so that you can meet with more kids in less time.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MiamiEm324

First thing in the morning
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It depends on how your schedule is structured, but I have had a lot of success meeting with my lowest students first thing in the morning. Our morning routine is really independent, so after I have greeted students and the bell has rung, the students work on their morning work packet (spelling sorts and activities, cursive practice, etc.) freeing me up to pull students to the back table for things like progress monitoring, repeated readings, etc.

To help keep me free, and build some ownership with the kids, tasks like taking lunch count and attendance, posting our schedule, and updating the calendar, are all completed by my students. I have students keep the same job for a whole quarter so they actually get in the habit of remembering their job and are able to do it independently.

Our morning meeting is also student run so I can meet with kids during that time as well. It is a student job to be "morning meeting manager" and is a favorite job. The kids are still getting the social skills of the morning meeting and are getting a lot of ownership of the meeting and great leadership practice. I can pop in to address certain issues, but I am free to meet with kids one on one.

That would be my advice- see if there are any activities in the day that your kids could do successfully without you! Strategically handing over responsibilities to them can free you up and help with student ownership.
MiamiEm324 is offline   Reply With Quote
needinput

needinput

Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

for your responses and advice. Our schedule is so tight, and with so many in one class, I think I have decided to use mornings for this. It will be an adjustment, but once the routine is down, I think it will work out. Great ideas and thanks again for the suggestions!