Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Maternity Leave During the Year

>

penguin1113

Maternity Leave During the Year
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM

I'm due October 25. My maternity leave starts on October 24 and ends February 1. Basically I'm working up until my due date. Anyone else here do that? Or did you take some days off before your baby was due?

penguin1113 is offline   Reply With Quote

abcteacher

Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM

I worked up until my due date. I was due on April 12 (a Saturday) and headed to the hospital April 11 at 10 PM. I worked all day Friday and felt fine. I ended up delivering DS on his due date at 5 am.
abcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

penguin1113

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM

Lucky you, abcteacher! I'm just worried I'll go into labor sooner, but I'm sure my school will be accommodating. Well, they have to be unless they want me teaching lessons while giving birth.
penguin1113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Illini Teacher

Have you sub available early!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 AM

I worked up until my Dd was born. She was 9 days early and luckily I had my sub, he had been in to observe for a few days AND was available for 2 weeks prior to my due date....he was taking "day by day" subbing jobs instead of long term.

I did go into labor at school. No water breaking, but left school with 2 periods left (middle school) and thankfully my licensed aide taught the last 2 class hours as she had observed 3rd hour with my other sped class.

So, my experience and advice.....have a back up plan, just in case!

Illini
Illini Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

abcteacher

Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM

I made sure to have detailed plans and materials ready for a week in advance just in case. Then I made an outline of units that needed covered while I was gone. I left my plan book from the previous year to help guide the sub. I also spent weeks before hand writing out schedules, labeling cupboards, copying units, etc.

I met with my sub ahead of time as well and went over things with her. It made me feel much better about leaving.

abcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

to the end
Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM

I taught all day Thurs and went to the hospital on Fri morning. He took his time showing up. We waited till Sun. I was tired but felt fine. I would get short of breath too. I met with my sub to go over my plans and showed how it was all organized.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

rillaGurl

Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Definitely plan ahead, but it can be done!

I worked the entire day before DS was born (mid-May), and felt fine. Well, I felt huge and swollen, but fine otherwise, ! ODD was born at the beginning of July, and this one (YDD) is coming Friday, so I didn't have to worry about school with the girls.

I agree with others to have your sub available if possible beforehand just in case as well as lesson plans ready to go. In my district you have to have all plans mapped out ahead of time, but I don't know how your district stands on that.
rillaGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM

I worked up until delivery (#1 was 5 weeks early, #2 was 3 weeks early, and #3 was 1 week early). I think I would have gone stir crazy if I had taken off before the baby was born. I felt fine right up to delivery, in fact I worked the days #2 &#3 were born.

I was very very organized, had detailed lesson plans written out for each week, had supplies organized and easily found, I also had subs lined up ready to go.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Queenie Peavy

Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Several teachers in my building have worked right up until their due dates. I think most of them wanted as much time as possible to be with the baby after the arrival. You've gotten got advice about being prepared. The only other advice I can share: keep a large glass of water nearby...if your water breaks, you can "spill" it and spare the questions from the kiddoes!
Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM

I worked right up until my due date as well. I was lucky and we had a student teacher in our grade so he took over for me for my maternity leave. I was thinking about coming in on Monday though that was my due date, but the girls at work convinced me not too on Friday...good thing since my son was born on Monday!

I would work as long as I can and be prepared to leave early if necessary! Congratulations!

Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM

My due date was December 3. I planned to work all the way to my due date, but ds decided to come a week early on November 26 (the day after Thanksgiving). My sub was already lined up and luckily she was able to begin a week early so it worked out fine. I didn't want to take time before my due date unless it was necessary, because I didn't want to "waste" time if he ended up coming a week late.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

ABCand123s

Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM

I had to work up until the last day to keep from paying huge insurance premiums out of pocket. I ended up having a scheduled c-section (breech baby) so I knew exactly when I would be leaving.
ABCand123s is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachtoScrap

Old 06-12-2013, 02:54 PM

I worked up until the day I had all 3 of mine. In fact, with the last one, I worked Open House until 8:00pm the night before.

With #2, he was due at the end of the school year. I had enough days to take off the entire week before he was due.

Little stinker came 3 week early!
TeachtoScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachtoScrap

Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM

Oh, and yes just be ready. My kids were born at 36 wks, 37 wks, and 38 wks. The first one threw us for a loop coming so early!
TeachtoScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 06-12-2013, 03:52 PM

I planned to work until the last day of school. I was due 8 days after school ended. Instead, I was put on bed rest due to elevated blood pressure a week before school ended. Then DS came 9 days early. (He was healthy, BTW)

I requested an aide with a teacher's license finish the year for me. The P allowed it to happen and it was lucky because she lived in my neighborhood. So, she would stop by after school each day and bring me papers to grade so I could finish report cards and pick up lesson plans. I was really bad at bed rest! I convinced my dr. to let me go to school on the last day if my mom drove me so that I could say goodbye to my kiddos. I was in labor two days later! By the time I go to the hospital, I only had two hours before DS arrived!

I'd say, plan ahead and listen to your body...when you think it is time to leave work or go to the hospital -do it!
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachChicago

Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM

I worked right up until my due date for both of my children. I was lucky that I was able to fudge the paperwork because I did not want to be sitting home wasting time if I was late. With my first, she was born on Memorial Day weekend. I felt normal until the morning she was due - I knew something was not right. We were supposed to go to a BBQ and I cancelled because I didn't feel good. Went to the hospital at 6 pm and she was born at 4 in the morning.

With my DS, he was born on a Monday morning. I woke up around 4 in the morning and again knew it was time. We went to the hospital at 8 in the morning and he was born at 6 (had to have a c-section).

I was lucky that I knew right away with both my children. I say definitely work up until your due date because you want to save your days to be with your little one. I would much rather have more time with my children than to have more time sitting at home waiting for them to arrive!

Good luck! And try not to worry so much about plans - you deserve your time off! And subs don't really follow them anyways!
TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

yayteacher

My
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 AM

son was born 4 days after school started. I was scheduled to be induced at 7 pm on a Thursday and worked that day. My sub was lined up and plans were done early. I ended up with an emergency c section, though, so I had to take 8 weeks instead of 6.
yayteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM

DD was born in October, so I didn't return to school in September at all. DS was born in April, and I finished 2 weeks before he was born. Of course, I also had a full year maternity leave. If I were like you with only a short time, I would work as long as I could so I could spend as much time with baby as possible.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote