Are applications and interviews just formalities? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Are applications and interviews just formalities?

>

MzMar

Are applications and interviews just formalities?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am just wondering. It seems to me like you just have to know people and have them know you (maybe as a long term sub or student teacher). Then you do all that other stuff just as a technicality. I mean really, there are so many people they do know who are qualified for the position. Why would they pick an unknown?

MzMar is offline   Reply With Quote

Faith1170

Yes, it mostly is who you know
Old 09-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sadly, this is true. I have had three classroom teaching jobs. Two were who you know (my priest and my neighbor). The other was through a college job fair. I think that you have to either know someone, OR they have to know you through meeting in person at a job fair or subbing.

This is also why you often see a bad teacher and wonder how on earth they ever landed a job, most of the time it's because they knew someone.
Faith1170 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have known many positions who have gone to the superintendents grand-daughter and school board members niece, etc. So you are right, lift isn't always fair.

I know that I have had interviews that have gone great and then they call and tell me that I was there second choice, but thanks. I am interpreting that as
you "you were great, but we found someone cheaper a.k.a. less experience". There is nothing I can do about it and just continuing applying. I figure eventually I will be in the right place at the right time.

One thing that does have me frustrated is the DPI giving out emergency licences so easily. How many first year teachers get these because they are lower on the salary schedule than the person with a license, experiences and more credit?
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

RedStripey

Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yup! I finally landed a job and I'm positive it's because my friend works at the same school. It's even happened to me in the past with non-teaching jobs. I got a job at Sunglass Hut in college because my sister worked there. But that's why networking is important! When I was looking I told EVERYONE that I was looking for a job in a school, even the girl who cuts my hair. You never know!
RedStripey is offline   Reply With Quote

OnlyBlueSkies

Old 09-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not convinced about that. I didn't know anyone at either district I've been hired at - and my current district, I came from across the country. I've heard that it is an issue, but I guess I have been lucky to still obtain positions.

OnlyBlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote

RedStripey

Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

OnlyBlueSkies, I think it depends on what are you live in/are looking for a job. I'm in NJ and the market is saturated with too many qualified applicants and not enough positions. However, in some other parts of the country (like Vegas), they are short staffed. It also varies from district to district as well. Congrats on your position

Last edited by RedStripey; 09-24-2013 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: changed a word :3
RedStripey is offline   Reply With Quote

Amakua

Congrats
Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What state are you in?
Amakua is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwi193

my thoughts
Old 09-30-2013, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think this is true a lot of the time, but not always. I'm a third year teacher and I was hired right out of graduate school without knowing anyone. I've been teaching the same grade at the same school ever since. It's also worth noting that I teach in an area saturated with hundreds of qualified experienced teachers looking for jobs (Boston). So, even though it can be tough, there are districts out there who will hire unknowns.
kiwi193 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishmama

IN this market....
Old 09-30-2013, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

probably. That's how I got my job. Another 'gal' at my school was brought on for a long-term sub job, after teaching summer school. She was hired from her long-term sub job.
Englishmama is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's definitely not always the case, even in saturated markets.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote